Back home in Yorkshire the mixed hyacinths we planted in a wooden barrel have grown and opened and are still giving us pleasure.
We're also back in our usual routine - shopping, seeing our local family who come visiting and generally catching up with admin paperwork and your news via blogger.
This morning I went to the park to take a book back to the library and collect the ones I had reserved.
The Agatha Christie book jacket blurb - "An urgent cry for help brings Poirot to France, but he arrives too late to save his client and who now lies in a shallow grave on a golf course. Why is the dead man wearing an overcoat that's too big for him? Who was the impassioned love-letter in his pocket for? Before Poirot can answer these questions the case is turned upside down by the discovery of a second, identically murdered corpse".
The Wild Silence by Raynor Winn - "Nature holds the answers for Raynor and her husband Moth. After walking 630 homeless miles along "The Salt Path" (The first of the non fiction books I read recently) the couple continue living on the windswept and wild English coastline. The cliffs, the sky and the chalky earth now feel like their home. Moth has a terminal diagnosis, but he seems revitalized in nature. Together on the wild coastal path they discover that anything is possible. Now life beyond the Salt Path awaits and they come back to four walls. The sense of home is illusive and returning to normality is proving difficult until an incredible gesture by someone who reads their story changes everything. There's a chance to breathe life back into a beautiful farmhouse nestled deep in the Cornish hills: rewilding the land and returning nature to its hedgerows becomes their saving grace and their new path to follow".
Bloomsbury Girls by Natalie Jenner - "1950. Bloomsbury Books on Lamb's Conduit Street has resisted change for a hundred years, run by men and guided by the manager's unbreakable rules. But after the turmoil of war in Europe the world is changing and the women in the shop have plans. As the women cross paths with literary figures such as Daphne du Maurier, Samuel Beckett and Peggy Guggenheim, these Bloomsbury girls are working together to plot out a richer and more rewarding future".
Patches of crocuses that have been planted by the park staff come up every year.
Cold, cloudy, but dry best describes the weather at the moment. We're expecting snow next week and we're not looking forward to it if it happens.
As usual I went into the walled garden and it was good to see some colour because of the flowering shrubs and early Spring flowers.
Above, back in our own garden the daffodils remain in bud waiting for some sunshine. We wait for warmer days although with the threat of snow that's unlikely to happen. We have to make the most of dry weather and get out and about when we can.
Thanks for visiting. Have a good weekend wherever you live.

the field of crocuses is so pretty and the tree in the top right by the building is amazing. I love trees, even without leaves they are beautiful. you know i love the walled garden. glad you got out to get books to read. i would be lost without my reading of books
ReplyDeleteWe enjoyed our trip away. This week a walk in the park and the walled garden and the library visit to collect a different set of books did me good. Mature trees are impressive. Did you notice the row of Lombardy poplars? They stand out in Winter. The willow tree in the walled garden is beginning to produce fresh green leaves. Have a good week Sandra.
DeleteThe hyacinths look lovely, bet they smell good too. I've not read any of those books, I got two library books to read this month plus my book group book, I've also reserved another but I don't think that will be in for a couple of weeks at least.
ReplyDeleteIt's been very wet and damp here, no snow forecast but it's turned cold again, March can be very hit and miss.
The hyacinths have been a joy. I'm glad Mr P decided to plant the mixed ones in the small barrel. They produced a lovely display and the distinctive fragrance is pleasurable too. Enjoy your reading and your book group Maggie.
DeleteRaynor Winn is on my list as well, your library is doing a good job of getting you all the best books. Lovely to see the Spring flowers, even a rhododendron!
ReplyDeleteI was fortunate to get the Raynor Winn book. Maybe the large print version meant that I didn't have to wait so long? I appreciate this local library hub, the service it provides and the park setting where I can take a walk. :)
DeleteWhat a lovely, cheering selection of Spring flowers you have photographed both in the library garden and your own. I like the mixed colours of the Hyacinths they make a lovely display:)
ReplyDeleteSpring is a beautiful season. Even on dull, cloudy days the flowers lift the spirit. :)
DeleteI love each and every photo. The garden, your beautiful hyacinths (I need to get some) and all three of the books sound fun and interesting. Thanks for mentioning them. Two are unfamiliar to me.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you enjoyed this blog post Jeanie. I think you would find Bloomsbury Girls interesting. I'm reading this novel at the moment and I'm enjoying it. A good setting - the life of the book shop in London and the characters who work there at a time of social change. So far I'm finding it a gentle read just right at the present time when I need to relax after a busy time with the family. I hope you can purchase some pots of hyacinths. :)
DeleteLove all the pretty flowers! We just watched that episode of Poirot recently...so I know who the murderer is...
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed seeing the flowers in the walled garden, not just the usual seasonal ones but the flowering shrubs such as the azalias. We watch the television Poirot and like the period furnishings on the sets and the apartment where Poirot lives. David Suchet is the best Poirot in our opinion.
DeleteNice to see all these spring blooms, Linda, as the snow is coming down outside my window now. I have read Bloomsbury Girls and remember that it was an enjoyable read. Also, I didn't read the Christie book, but watched the TV adaptation with David Suchet as Poirot. I feel the same way about large print books as it means I can forgo the reading glasses!
ReplyDeleteThank you for your kind comment about the flowers. I won't be surprised if we get another lot of snow since it's forecast. We'll stay in and potter and I'll read those books. :) Best wishes, happy weekend.
DeleteHello Linda, it's nice to get back to your blog. It looks like you enjoyed a lovely trip. I love to travel but it's always good to get home again. How nice to see the early spring flowers popping their heads up in sheltered places. It has been a long cold winter and spring continues to elude us here. It's still a good time for cuddling up in a nice blanket with a good book. I may check out The Bloomsbury Girls. It looks like a nice gentle read. Blessings to you and Mr. P.
ReplyDeleteWe had such a good time with family and friends. We're content that we saw the new baby great grandson. May you have a blessed Easter Gloria and family.
DeleteThe flower photos are all lovely especially the delicate pale mauve/pink ones. I think I've read the Agatha Christie book before, according to my list, I listened to it... that explains why I can't remember the details. Take care Cx
ReplyDeleteThank you Cathy for leaving a kind comment about the hyacinths and Spring flowers. I've never tried audio but having different ways to enjoy books is a help. I hope the week ahead is a good one for you.
DeleteIt's good to see all the spring blooms coming through now. I've not read a hard or paperback book in ages, I tend to use my Kindle to read from
ReplyDeleteOne of these days I'll look into getting a Kindle as I think you can adjust the text print to suit. Hope all is well with you. I must catch up with your posts on your Church Explorer Blog. Somehow life has got busy again.
Delete