We've had some cold, but dry days so I've been able to take some exercise by walking around our neighbourhood on two days this week.
The Rivelin Mill apartment conversion, the Rivelin Bridge and the River Loxley with more apartments in a wooded area.
The new park is taking shape next to the sports centre, café and charity shop at the top of the local hill where I walk.
I took a short cut along an alleyway onto an uphill road that then leads down to the Loxley Valley.
Loxley House, drive and grounds, now converted into apartments.
I passed by interesting stone built dwellings....
....then turned to the left into a huge green space with many undulating hilly areas.
There were views across the Loxley Valley to more houses on the hills.
I walked up the grassy mounds and enjoyed seeing the birds that were out-and-about in the sunshine, heard their birdsong and also saw buds appearing on branches of trees.
Red dogwood branches, yellow willow fronds and the white trunks of the birch trees glowed in the sunlight.
Underneath a small tree the residents had planted primulas and there were some painted stones dotted here-and-there.
I'd gone full circle on my walk and was soon back in the neighbourhood where we live.
Thank you once more for your visit. Have a good weekend whatever you're doing.
The earth is sleeping. How nice!
ReplyDeleteQuite fine weather indeed.
The red post box is simply lovely.
Dry, sunny days are welcome. It's good that the iconic and historical red post boxes are still in use. :)
DeleteIt looks like spring not winter and the sunshine is beautiful. happy for your walkabout and getting out of the house. I like The earth is sleeping. beautiful. I have to say how much I love the Mill house apartmens and the next photo of the sport building has zero personality and every other building has its own personality. I like old better than new buildings.
ReplyDeleteEven though the sun has been shining it's still very cold. The birds respond and are active, but on rainy days they huddle in the branches of trees. There are signs everywhere that the earth is quietly alive although there's still the frost and possible snow to contend with. The sports centre, a former school building will look different when the small park and grounds are landscaped with bushes and trees.
DeleteIt looks a great place for a walk with plenty to see especially on such a lovely sunny day. It wohn't be long until all the daffodils are out too, hopefully your new park will be ready for the Summer.
ReplyDeleteIt'll be wonderful to see more of those Spring bulbs in flower especially the daffodils. The small park will be something to look forward to as it'll be another green space for our local community with facilities for all ages.
DeleteWith such a sunny weather an blue sky it makes fun to have a longer walk, right?! Just loved to come with you. Everything so interesting again, different to here and that’s the point. To see the different style makes it special for me. Thanks for sharing and greetings over to you
ReplyDeleteNova
On sunny days, even when it's cold, I take advantage of the dry weather and a daily walk up and down the hilly neighbourhood is good exercise. Mr P is also active as he cares for his plants and seedlings in the covered yard. It's good to know you enjoy seeing the local places where I take a walk.
DeleteThis winter has been so mild, perfect for getting out and about. You have a nice area in which to walk and plenty of interest as you do so. It's much colder here today and we've got heavy fog too, I'm not sure it's going to lift at all.
ReplyDeleteThe weather is so changeable. We had frost overnight, thankfully no fog here, but know that it's happening elsewhere. We're trying to find ways of keeping our homes warm and make the most of days when we can get out for some exercise.
DeleteYou have a nice neighborhood for walking. Glad you could get out a couple of the days. Our snow piles are slowly slowly melting. It's a slushy mess to walk in. Hope your weekend is going well.
ReplyDeleteThank you Ellen. Our weekend is going well. Enjoy your weekend.
DeleteYou had a lovely, sunlit walk with lots to see along the way, I also enjoyed the colours in the primulas and painted stones and the post box too:)
ReplyDeleteI'm ready for another walk today as there's always something new to spot along one of the many trails in our neighborhood. :)
DeleteThe sky in the first picture is so pretty and blue. You have an interesting place to walk. Love the painted rocks, they add to the garden areas. I might try to do that at home when the weather is appropriate. No outside walking today thought, we're having incredible rain...very hard and been going since 3 am. Looks like an all day thing for sure. Very dark and gray out there.
ReplyDeleteThank you Sandy for coming by. I hope the weather improves so that you can get out for a walk. The painted pebbles placed among the primulas was a generous thing to do as people passing by can enjoy the display too.
DeleteThe Loxley Valley looks beautiful and that was a wonderful walk full of wonders! The painted rocks are fun and I am awed that the primroses are blooming this time of year. I don't think I would mind the cold winter if there was color and beauty like that and I could get out in it occasionally! (What I don't like is day after day of gray, that is partly why we started to travel after we retired.)
ReplyDeletePrimulas are good value to buy as they survive the Winter weather and produce pretty flowers in a variety of colours. The sunshine is very welcome so we make the most of it after some dreary days. It's very cold though.
DeleteWhat a lovely, interesting walk. I did enjoy it and seeing those lovely primroses.xxx
ReplyDeleteThere are some plants that are hardy like primulas that we've planted in the garden. They survive the frost and snow and flower year on year. Hope all is well in your garden and with your family Dina.
DeleteI really enjoyed going along on this walk, Linda, although admittedly it would have been nicer to have done it on foot vs. a read. Currently, we're in the midst of some deep-freeze temperatures which make outdoor walking not enjoyable, so I must content myself with indoor treadmill walks. That said, I did enjoy the scenes on this walk and thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHaving read your recent blog posts I realise why your deep-freeze weather is preventing good walking conditions. A treadmill sounds like an alternative way to exercise and keep fit. We're still enjoying dry, sunny days although it's very cold. My dodgy knee has returned, but I'm going to keep up my walking regime with rests in between. Have a good weekend.
Delete