A rich tapestry

January 18, 2022

Another Library Visit

I had an email to say that our Library Reading Group will be starting up again soon.  Visiting the library in the park to collect reserved books when there has been the facility to do so has been a lifeline.  It has been one of the ways that has help me feel motivated to get out-and-about, keep up with my reading and feel part of the local community.  It'll be interesting to see how the group works out as the librarian has arranged dates for two groups to meet up because there are too many members for one meeting.   

Today I took a couple of the books I had read back to the library and collected another I'd reserved as well as the novel that had been reserved for the reading group.  (The Simon Serrailler one ended with a cliff-hanger so I expect a follow-up will be published in the near future). Meanwhile I'm enjoying Eileen Atkins memoir as there are laugh-out-loud moments in her writing. She's open and candid about her sometimes difficult personality especially during her performances on stage.  Her passion for the theatre comes across too.  

I walked through the Walled Garden as usual and took a few photos of the recent building work to the wall and the much anticipated community hub and café facility in the stable block.  All the improvements look good and I'm sure the gardeners who've been busy over recent weeks will appreciate the improved gardeners' quarters.   As usual the gardeners were working in the garden and I noticed several new raised beds were ready for planting new shrubs and plants. 





a female chaffinch


The mackerel sky was amazing.



The Stable Block



The Wild Garden



A sheltered corner by the Wild Garden and Stumpery.

Finally, (below) last night's full moon which I believe is called a Wolf Moon
as hungry wolves are said to howl at it.  Thankfully no wolves in our neck of the woods. 


24 comments:

  1. What a beautiful day you had to wander around the garden, which is looking all set for a good display this year. I love the secret tree in the wall, such a good idea. It sounds like the book groups are going from strength to strength, a nice way to get recommendations and meet others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to going to the library reading group after such a long time not being able to meet together indoors. The librarians are good at keeping in touch when we haven't been able to meet. I notice something different every time I walk around the walled garden not just in the planting but the different aspects of the artwork too. It'll be interesting to see what gets planted in the new raised beds.

      Delete
  2. Interesting books. I loved seeing the hellebores and the mural behind the door in the wall. Good to hear of all the improvements. That sure is some sky! Here's to you enjoying your reading group, how lovely seeing a little normality return.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to seeing friends that I haven't seen for a long time. A librarian tried to arrange meetings in the walled garden last year, but it didn't work out because of the restrictions with numbers. Now meeting in a small group indoors seems a step towards normality. I hope you and the family are well.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed all the photos, the two that stand out for me is the brick wall and door. LOVE IT. and the building with the mackerel sky over it. glad to hear the library is back up and running. for those of us who like to read, we are never bored and have to look for something to do. hope the indoor meetings work out well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mural stands out in the sunshine. I like the 3D aspect. The cloud formation is a natural work of art. I hope all goes well with the reading group too.

      Delete
  4. My one reading group meeting is still cancelled for January but the other one is still on for next week, I haven't been going to this one very long but I do really enjoy it. Your park looks like such a lovely place and that sky is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've missed going to my reading group. It's a social occasion as well as an opportunity to read and discuss a variety of books. I hope you continue to enjoy your own meetings Maggie.

      Delete
  5. Everything looks so nice where you are. A very enjoyable selection of photos and the chaffinch is a darling little bird. How nice to look forward to your Library Reading Group. Thank you for sharing the books also. I must look out for Eileen Atkins' memoir. It sounds very entertaining, and I think she is a terrific actress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the tour around the walled garden. Our local community will benefit from all the improvements there. I think you would like the memoir. I enjoyed Eileen Atkins' description of her early life best as it was my mother's era and I can remember her talking of life back then and about the actors and actresses of that time.

      Delete
  6. Glad to read that the reading group will be starting up in-person. Our local library may also be resuming an indoor group which has been virtual for so long. I plan to look up the book recommendations as well, thanks Linda.

    Also, thanks for your recent comments on my blog posts. If you have no objection, I would like to include a link to your blog on my sidebar under "Blogs to Explore."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to have found your blog. Reading about other lifestyles means that we can learn a lot and make friends with other bloggers around the globe. Please include me on your side bar. All the best, Linda.

      Delete
  7. The garden area looks like a cemetery to me, a very old one. The idea of raised beds sounds great to save knees and backs; but I often wonder if they work as well? Do they require more watering? May add The Midnight Hour to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raised beds for growing plants certainly need to be filled with a lot of compost. They are very suitable for growing plants with long roots and are ideal as less bending down is needed. As for more watering it depends on the type of plants used.

      Delete
  8. What a gorgeous day! That's a most unusual sky but a lovely blue one too :-) I have to echo what others have commented here as that mural is so original and the three dimensional effect certainly gives it realistic depth. You could almost imagine there's a secret garden within. Enjoy your books. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mural is an imaginative piece. There's a painting in the library of the mural, perhaps done by the same artist. The Walled Garden gives many local people an opportunity to be creative as gardeners and artists

      Delete
  9. I like reading about what you're reading -- I found it hard to write reviews of books myself and gave up pretty early on in my blogging -- so I really admire how succinct you are and yet how I can tell how much (or little) you like a book -- thanks! (And I agree that books have been a lifeline throughout these ever-so fascinating times we're living in (;>). Books and walking too -- and I love seeing yours as well. Thanks for a fun post. (Also I forgot those corragated-type clouds were called a mackerel sky and I can't wait to see another one here so I can blog it and call it the right name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments Sallie. It's encouraging to know that you find my blog posts interesting. Best wishes, Linda.

      Delete
  10. I did see that Wolf Moon in the early morning. I love spotting them, but often in the winter it is too cloudy.
    Love walking through a garden in winter and seeing what I can spot. Hope you saw some delights.
    Also hope you can soon feel good about returning to the library for a reading group too. Right now I am not even comfortable going to the market. Happy end of January!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had clear skies this month. The full moon is fascinating. Wishing you and the family well Marilyn.

      Delete
  11. Lovely photos as always Linda. I never heard of calling those types of clouds a mackerel sky before. Our library is very small so I have to the neighboring towns for a good book selection. I have been doing most of my reading on ebooks during these last few years. There is a plan to build a big new library on the other side of the lake. Maybe I will go back to hard books then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ebooks are another way to keep up with one's love of reading. I prefer real books and I'm never without books in our home that I can pick up and get engrossed in the story or learn from non fiction facts. A new library to be built in your area sounds like a great facility. :)

      Delete
  12. Simon Serrailler and Eileen Atkins and Elly Griffiths. Three of my favorites. Well, Simon and Elly I read faithfully and are caught up on their stories. I have the Atkins bio on order, possibly a recommendation from you. I love her and was lucky enough to see her on stage with Jonathan Price when we were in London in 2018. What would we do without books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to new publications from favourite authors especially ones that come as a series. I want to know what happens next in the lives of the characters. I miss going to the theatre. It's another field of the arts that has been hit by the covid pandemic. Our youngest grandson is a student in his last year living in London and specialises in theatrical lighting. He's very talented.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment which is appreciated.
Moderation is on and Spam will be deleted.