The days go by and it seems a while now since I walked around our neighbourhood. I had been curious to see if the snow had reached the higher ground on the nearby farmland and then go onto the Common. Although the first lot of snow was fairly light in comparison to what we've been experiencing lately the roads on that sunny day were clear. It was a good time to take that all-important walk and enjoy a change of scene.
At the high school I could take a photo of the scene, something I wouldn't do if the children were there in the playground. The exercise yard was empty and silent. The children were at home studying by remote learning. When the young people are there I imagine a rota would be organised for small groups to take a break during this time of challenge for students, teachers and other staff.
The road leads to High Bradfield, but there is a descent down into the village and then a further one down into Low Bradfield. It wasn't the sort of day to drive any further that way so we turned around and headed for the Common. Slowly and carefully we passed the rider on horseback making sure that the horse was not disturbed.
Winter deciduous trees are fascinating. The bare branches stand out against the landscape and when the sun is out they cast shadows, in this case upon the stone building and fence.
Across the road from the entrance to the Common the roads go down in terraces. In a garden a palm tree looks quite exotic, but in fact I see quite a few of them growing in sheltered places in our area.
The snow has melted now and rain is forecast for the rest of the week with perhaps some more sleet by Thursday. I've plenty to do at home and I've the walk in the park to share with you another time. Meanwhile, thank you for your visit. Have a good day!
so good you were able to get out, and that you were mindful of the horse. that always makes me nervous to see them along a road for cars. you already know my favorites are the ones with sun shining on stones. i do love that so much. that farm complex looks like something from the distant past, a feudal lord and his minions is what i thought of. of course I only know about that from the books i read and have never seen a farm complex... bob took his truck for a ride this week, the thing has sat since march and only been driven maybe five times if that. it had been idle for 6 months without moving. i warned him and he said the tires were starting to lose their round.
ReplyDeleteOur car had a service in the Autumn and going out for a local drive helps it to keep ticking over. Farms are mostly family owned. On the other hand the moorland belongs to landowners who employ people to manage it. All the best to you and especially Bob with his truck driving.
DeleteI did the same myself today but it was but as pretty as that
ReplyDeleteI hope you enjoyed your walk Bill.
DeleteWhat a beautiful area you live in. The bare trees and the shadows are wonderful.xxx
ReplyDeleteAs I've often mentioned I'm happy that we have the countryside on our doorstep. Trees are beautiful in every season. In Winter the bare branches and skeleton shapes look interesting especially when they stand out against the landscape.
DeleteBeautiful views, especially nice you can see the valley below. You live in a lovely area. My husband has often waited in the car for me while I walked... we are lucky they are patient aren’t we? (My river walks that I’ve blogged lately are all on foot from our home ...no car needed.).
ReplyDeleteThank you Sallie. Yes, it's nice to have a companion who will wait around while I take photos. I enjoy river walks too. At the moment the river water is high and turbulent due to heavy rain. The River Don is prone to flooding and landslips in places. I'm thankful that we live high up on a hill and not near the river at this time.
DeleteIt is nice and mind-refreshing to take a walk.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your time, Linda!
A walk is good for our wellbeing. Thank you Luisella.
DeleteIt looks really cold but beautifully bright, if you get a good day this time of the year it shows off the landscape at its best. I hope you don't get too much rain with the Storm heading our way.
ReplyDeleteIt has been raining on and off so we're happy to potter at home today.
DeleteIt's nice to see some blue skies even though it does look cold. We've had nothing but rain here today, Storm Cristoph, such dreary weather, even Archie took one look when the door was opened and turned around and walked back inside.
ReplyDeleteWe're pleased that the snow has melted, but there's always the possibility of more in the coming weeks since it's still only January. Rain is miserable, but at least we're not snowed in. The full influence of Storm Cristoph has not reached us here although it has been raining heavily all day. I'm sure the flood alert sirens must be a scary sound for those preparing for flooding again. I can understand why Archie is reluctant to go out. :(
DeleteI enjoyed your photographs.
ReplyDeleteIsn't it wonderful to get out and about and enjoy a walk.
I managed a lovely local walk yesterday, but didn't venture out today as it was raining 'cats and dogs'
Take care.
All the best Jan
It's raining here too. I'm glad you were able to get out for a walk yesterday. My painful knee is a little better and I look forward to getting out and about again. Thank you Jan. Best wishes.
DeleteLoved seeing the horse and rider! It's not raining here right now and if it did rain it would be snow for sure since we are below freezing.
ReplyDeleteStorm clouds, windy conditions from Storm Cristoph are here this morning, but we're fine. You must be used to sub zero temperatures and snow Ellen. I'm hoping snow doesn't come our way. I think of those living with the floods and/or snowy conditions in northern counties.
DeleteGorgeous photos of your walk!! The views are so spacious and looks like a beautiful landscape!!! I like how you call it your all important walk. So good you were able to get out even though it must be a little cold there I imagine since you mentioned snow!! Blessings and times of good health and refreshing to you!
ReplyDeleteThe weather fluctuates. There were storm clouds this morning, then the sun came out for an hour or two. A walk would have been good for exercise and mental health, but the cold wind put me off. Perhaps tomorrow. Thank you Shayndel. Every blessing.
ReplyDelete