After my walk by the river I crossed the road and walked down to the restored stone packhorse bridge that had years ago been swept away during the Great Sheffield Flood of 1864. The lane is a route leading uphill to another village and one or two farmhouses have also been rebuilt. How peaceful it is in this area these days surrounded by woods where there are many trails, bridges over streams and managed by the Woodland Trust.
the restored Rowell Bridge
In the woods is an artisan-made dry stone wall that beautifully demonstrates water in turmoil, water that also had benefits since it also moved the water wheels that powered some of the small scale rural mills in the area during days gone by.
There was a glimpse of other stone artwork in these woods although it wasn't possible for me to climb down the banks to get nearer to them and because the way had been blocked. Probably it gets slippery with mud at certain times and it's best to stay on the paths along the trails.
across the road is a drive to one of the farmhouses
Last week was also my birthday and Mr P picked the first roses in bloom.
I received many cards (a few here), parcels and telephone calls, gifts of plants in planters and other goodies and there was my favourite lemon drizzle cake to enjoy after Mr P had cooked a delicious evening meal.

A belated Happy Birthday :-)
ReplyDeleteLooks like a great walk, I love the dry stone wall, a lovely feature
Thank you Maggie for your good wishes,for coming by and leaving a comment.
DeleteHappy Birthday! What a lovely walk along the trail. You found some interesting things along the way with the sculptures and wavy stone bridge.
ReplyDeleteAren't the sculptures and the dry stone wall interesting? I want to find out more about the artist. The construction of the wall is interesting with rolled up natural materials on the top and the stones placed in a swirling pattern in places.
Deletesorry i missed your birthday, Happy Birthday and so happy you posted you with the roses, now I know to whom I am emailing.. e-chatting ... you know i love stone walls and this one is extremely gorgeous to me. true art... this would be a walk that I would LOVE... so much to see i might snap myself silly... the roots look like the ones that grow here
ReplyDeleteThank you Sandra. It was another low key lockdown celebration, but everyone kindly made my birthday something special with all the cards, gifts and phone calls :)
DeleteHope your birthday was wonderful - thanks for sharing your wonderful views in the walk.
ReplyDeleteI had a lovely birthday, thank you Carol. I'm glad you enjoyed the walk in the woods.
DeleteHappy belated birthday. It's a strange time but it sounds like your celebrations were wonderful all the same. What a lovely walk.
ReplyDeleteThank you Jo. A pleasant walk in the woods and then on another day a birthday meant it was a good week. :)
DeleteBelated Happy Birthday! It looks like it was a good one with yellow roses and lemon drizzle cake. The walk is just gorgeous! I love that stone bridge. How I would love walking here with you. I can dream! Your pictures help my dreaming.
ReplyDeleteThank you Marilyn. Roses that smell divine and lemon drizzle cake, what more do you need for a May birthday and oh yes, lily-of-the valley in flower?!
DeleteHappy Belated Birthday...sounds like a perfect celebration (for these times). I liked the green woodsy walk very much and the reminder of the power of water ... to do good and to harm.
ReplyDeleteThank you Sallie. Now that I can walk some distance I'm finding new trails to explore, The history and art aspects interest me as well as the pleasure of being surrounded by nature and beautiful countryside.
DeleteLoved the rest of the walk, especially enjoyed the snaking tree roots, and the wavy spiral wall, it really does make you think of water. Happy belated birthday, just loved all your presents!xxx
ReplyDeleteExposed tree roots are fascinating and as beautiful as the rest of a tree. thank you for your good wishes Dina. xxL
DeleteOh how special!! Happy Birthday !!Mr P is so kind and chose such beautiful flowers for you!! I want to say "Mrs. P"!! Is it ok to call you that, anyway for this post!? Its so nice to see a photo of you there too with such happiness, God bless you and keep you and shine His light upon you and give you His great Peace on this special celebration and always!!💛oh and of course, beautiful photos of your walk and all the light filled green!!💚
ReplyDeleteThank you Shayndel. Linda P or Mrs P is okay by me. I'm glad you enjoyed this blog post. Every blessing, Linda.
DeleteBelated birthday greetings, how lovely to have the first rose from the garden and lemon drizzle cake too. Your walk looks wonderful and those dry stone walls that swirl like the water that kept the mills working are a super reminder of the area's industrial past. I'm glad the pack horse bridge was restored:)
ReplyDeleteThank you Rosie for your kind words. Every time I find a new place to walk I want to know more details about the history of the place. Even a lane or a bridge is worthy of note. I hope your weekend was a lovely, peaceful one.
DeleteHappy belated birthday to you. Beautiful yellow roses specially picked for you. Lovely view from your walk and your garden. Happy day.
ReplyDeleteThank you Nancy. The roses in our garden are in bloom now. The first was this yellow one which is beautiful because it changes colour from golden yellow to pale cream and has a wonderful fragrance.
DeleteBelated happy birthday!! You got lovely cards and gifts! What a gorgeous place to take a walk! I love to see tree roots like that. It makes me think it's the veins of the earth. Have a wonderful and peaceful week!
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely way to describe tree roots! Thank you for your kind thoughts re my birthday. May you also enjoy a peaceful week Angela.
DeleteNow that looked a very interesting walk to go on
ReplyDeleteIt certainly was different and a place I hope to return to since it's not far from where we live.
DeleteHappy belated birthday. It looks like you were celebrated well!
ReplyDeleteThank you Ellen.
DeleteHappy belated birthday " Feliz Aniversário! I love all the pictures!
ReplyDeleteSandra xXx
Thank you Sandra. xxL
DeleteLooks like a wondrous place! Thanks for sharing and a belated happy birthday!
ReplyDeleteThank you Linda.
Delete