Today was a good day for a walk with the sun shining and blue skies again after a cloudy few days so off I went down the steep hill to Loxley Valley and found some lovely new footpaths to explore along by the river.
If I were a bit more nimble I could have climbed over into this field which is a public right of way, but instead I chose the easy trail where there was a wide path. I wore my home made mask that I've just made where the path narrowed as there were quite a few families about enjoying a walk in the fresh air.
On one side are fields of a cereal crop and on the other is the river which is more of a stream rushing along over boulders in places and calm waters in others.
A box at the side of the river says it records the level of the water. At the moment it seems quite high. The Damflask Reservoir feeds into the river which flows on before joining the River Rivelin and the River Don.
Some old photos on an information board show what the Loxley Valley used to look like. It's still a farming area dotted with old stone buildings. There's also an old photo of the time when one of the reservoirs further up the valley broke its walls during construction. Gallons of water rushed down the valley causing destruction and devastation on the way.
I thought the English bluebells in the woodlands were over, but there were some still in bloom in the long grass.
There were other wild flowers that are best left growing in the woods than in the garden.
a solitary bumble bee
hawthorns (May tree) are in full blossom everywhere
Some interesting boxes in a woodland area looked as if they might be beehives as there were insects, probably bees, flying around them.
I went as far as this bridge and then turned back. On the other side of the road there are more interesting footpaths to wander down. I'll share more of what I saw there next time as some unusual artisan stone sculptures and specialist stone walls can be seen among the woodland trail.
Thank you for your visit. Have a good day!
Very pleasant walk that, lifts the spirits no end. I got to a couple of garden centres this week and bought more compost, happy plants now
ReplyDeleteIt was another enjoyable walk yesterday. I enjoy woodland settings especially where there's some river or stream involved. I'm glad you got some compost for your plants.
DeleteMarvellous. I'm really missing a river walk and cow parsley, there isn't one in the village so I've really enjoyed seeing yours this morning. Goodness knows when I'll get back to Reading and the Thames.
ReplyDeleteWe have four or five rivers flowing around our city as well as brooks and reservoirs so I'm never far from a walk by water. Ah, the River Thames, how much I miss it! Like you I look forward to a walk along my favourite river.
DeleteThank you for taking us with you on this lovely walk.
ReplyDeleteWelcome Lucy. I'm glad you came by and left a message that you enjoyed the walk. All the best.
DeleteSo nice to go on this walk with you!
ReplyDeleteI'm happy you came along Ellen. :)
DeleteWhat a wonderful stroll you took us on. Really uplifting and good for the spirits.
ReplyDeleteI'm pleased the walk lifted your spirits MM. :)
DeleteA useful exercise through lovely places. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHave a relaxing weekend, Linda!
The walk was certainly a good way to get some exercise Luisella. Wishing you a good weekend.
DeleteBeautiful pictures!
ReplyDeleteSandra xXx
Welcome Sandra. It's good to see you here. :)
DeleteWhat a glorious walk, lovely places and good weather too. Such a contrast between the verdant green of the leisure walk and the industrial past of the area. We have two of those wildflowers in our garden and they are very invasive, we still can't get rid of them all. Have a lovely weekend:)
ReplyDeleteIt was a quiet walk and a change to go along a different footpath. We are fortunate to have so many woodland trails near home. I saw your blog post and I've been meaning to dig out that yellow wild flower in parts of our garden, which I promptly did. I hope that I've got all the roots out and it doesn't return. I think I scattered some wild flower seeds in a flower bed a couple of years ago and that's how the plants started appearing in our garden. Wildflower meadows are pretty, but not suitable for our small garden.
DeleteHello Linda, There were some really wonderful views along your walk. Some of those wildflowers which look so pretty out in the woods and trails are also some of the weeds I have to pull up out of my plant beds every year. Beauty is definitely in the eye of the location isn't it? Our flowering shrubs have been full of bumblebees. I love listening to the sound of their buzzing on a quiet afternoon. It's good that you can get out even if it means wearing a mask at times. Blessings to you!
ReplyDeleteIt's a lovely time of the year in the garden. Our flowers are blooming early probably because of the warm weather and the occasional rain shower which helps them along. The bees love them. I would like to take more walks, but when I do I'm finding the new trails a pleasure to explore and a change of scene. Every blessing Gloria.
DeleteGlad you were able to spend a sunny day walking outside -- hope you and your family are well. Best, -Beth
ReplyDeleteLast Wednesday was a good day for a walk as since then we've had very windy weather and rain showers overnight. I'm behind with sharing and reading blog posts. Looking forward to hearing your news. Regards, Linda.
DeleteHow beautiful!! Gods glory resounds through your walk as you share with us these views from His wonderful creation! seeing your photos from Here in Japan I feel His great Hand that forms all the earth seeing the glimpse in your part of the world reminds me of His majesty and His hand on all things ever renewing and ever loving us and giving us the chance to walk in His ways!! Thank you! Blessings and happy walks to you!!! ♡
ReplyDeleteYou have vision Shayndel. Your thoughts are beautiful and comforting. Bless you.
DeleteYes, beehives! I would love some in my world. I love fresh honey sooooo very much.
ReplyDeleteLovely, lovely walk. When I saw the steps to climb I immediately wondered if you went that way. Good choice!
We're blessed to have a granddaughter whose boyfriend's parents keep bees so we get gifts of their special organic honey. It's very good for you. My favourite way of using it is with some plain Greek yoghurt as a dessert.
Delete