A rich tapestry

April 14, 2020

From a different perspective


This is our view across a valley from our back bedroom window.  The large cherry tree fills our picture window view downstairs.  It's tantalising to see the pink ornamental cherry blossom in another neighbour's garden. I want to get a better look at these surroundings.


The cherry tree taken with the zoom lens on maximum.


Very early this morning I brought in the bottles of fresh milk delivered by the milkman - we are also getting loaves of bread, eggs and potatoes from him too, which is a great help and we'll continue doing so when or if we get back to 'a normal situation'.



Whilst I was in the front garden I took a few photos.



A garden bench is in the front garden at the moment.  Our local grandson came through the side gates and put it there so that when he and our daughter visit on a Sunday afternoon they have somewhere to sit whilst we talk to them well back in the front entrance hall.  Thank goodness for the dry weather at the moment although we did have a shower of rain late Sunday afternoon - good for the plants. Anything they bring gets wiped down and then goes into quarantine. Grandson S and daughter brought us chocolate rabbit and donkey and the blown eggs that they had decorated, (below). What a strange existence at the moment, but necessary for our own good! 
So that was our Easter Sunday family face-to-face visit.  The other members of the family spoke by ordinary phone calls or a video link which we're only getting used to doing.  Yesterday, after all this strangeness I felt very tired and slept most of the afternoon.



Today I feel better. After taking the photos in the front garden I nipped to the side of the house to take some more photos.  We haven't been out beyond the front garden for weeks so it felt odd just walking down the lane by our own garden wall. There are only two side gardens opposite the high stone wall with a high fence along most of this stretch before it goes around the corner of the crescent so it's secluded.


There are overhanging trees.  It looks like Senior Blackbird was an early bird too.



I could see the big cherry tree with the white blossom from a different angle and also the pink one





The lilac is beginning to come into bud, but still not fully open.


There are clumps of a pink and yellow variety of toadflax (?) and succulents
growing in the cracks on the stone wall.





Back in our covered yard and back garden some more gardening
is the plan for the rest of the morning.

Have a good day whatever you're doing.

34 comments:

  1. You have pretty flowers all around you. Cute Easter egg and decorations. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. blooming fruit trees are one of the things I miss living in Florida - we have orange blossoms but none of the others - oh well, I don't have snow, so I'll just enjoy your photos. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the smell of orange blossom :) I'm glad you enjoyed the photos Carol.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, is all this view from your very house and gardens!! I love the smell of lilacs!! I hope you can stay uplifted in your spirits, it can be difficult sometimes. May the bonds of love between your family grow and expand and overflow during these times of distancing, and may you all be close by each other very soon! Blessings and Peace be with you!! 💌

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the lilac is fully in bloom the fragrance will come our way :) Thank you Shayndel for your kind thoughts towards us. I trust that you are having a peaceful week.

      Delete
  4. your different perspective is beautiful, both the views of flowers and trees and the amazing appearance of a bench that comes with visiting kids.. I loved that part of your story.... our farmers are pouring milk out on the ground because schools are out, restaurants are closed. I don't see why they could not do what your guy is doing, deliver fresh milk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some farmers here with big herds are having to pour away surplus milk. I think it's to do with cows producing their young at the moment and have lots of extra milk that cannot be processed quickly enough for general consumption. We get our bottles of fresh milk from a recommended local farm with a small herd.

      Delete
  5. The blossoms are lovely.
    We are living a strange time, Linda. We cannot but sit and wait...
    Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we need to sit and wait. It's not easy.

      Delete
  6. Loved the pictures .happy easter and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shilpa. Happy Easter! All the best.

      Delete
  7. Isnt it the weirdest thing to talk to family at a distance like that? That was great of your grands to put in that bench. Your garden looks so lovely and I’m glad you are able to enjoy it in spite of all this. Keep on taking care of yourselves. We will survive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're settling back home in Oregon after travelling all the way from Florida. It seems quite an adventure although you are experienced travellers. Thank you, we keep on keeping on. Take care, stay well.

      Delete
  8. You have a beautiful garden to spend your time in with quite a view out of it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are high up on a hill with views across the River Don valley. On the other side is the Loxley Valley. It's a secluded and quiet location.

      Delete
  9. A wonderful view all around. I would enjoy sitting in your garden very much :) A very thoughtful gift of the bench.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the days get warmer this Spring it's a pleasure to sit in the garden.

      Delete
  10. Wow...what a view, and all these pretty blossoms. To good that you are having your garden, butbut I understand how you feel. Yesterday, after four weeks I had to drive to a major supermarket. On my direct way back I would have loved to go to the ocean, just sit down to "refuel" myself. Just missing to be able to move freely and untroubled.

    Stay healthy and take care

    Greetings

    N☼va

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now know what the psychologists mean when they refer to lock down fatigue setting in during this pandemic. We yearn for freedom and normality. We have to believe that the situation will get better when a vaccine is found. Meanwhile we're thankful for what we have, the shelter of a home and lovely garden.

      Delete
  11. What a lovely spot to be quarantined in! Wonderful countryside views and such a pretty garden. What a great idea about the bench, so nice to get a personal visit from those close by and even better to get those hand painted eggs. Like you our shopping goes into quarantine for 3 days or is wiped down with a spray if it has to go into the fridge. What strange times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're grateful that we have one daughter and grandson living nearby who can help us. The warmer, dry weather means that they can sit down on the bench, even if it's not for long, when socially distancing :)

      Delete
  12. Lovely photos of the blossom trees and your garden. It's good that you have a milk delivery and that they will bring other things too. It must have been lovely to have your family sitting outside where you can chat at a distance and see each other. Senior blackbird has some lovely trees to perch in and lilac nearly out already, one of my favourites, I just wish it lasted longer:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the blossom and the garden. I should have thought of giving a local milkman our custom before this crisis happened. Some of our neighbours have been getting a delivery for years and fresh milk in glass bottles is what we were used to before larger quantities from supermarkets were available. Getting food products from a local farm helps that business too. Senior blackbird is obviously happy. The smaller birds flit in and out of the bushes at the back of the house. I still can't get them to feed from the feeders. They probably do come when I'm not looking as the feeders are not easy to see from indoors. I've moved them around, but they must get their food elsewhere. I was pleased to see the lilac - another favourite flower that I appreciate.

      Delete
  13. It's a lovely time of year with the trees filled with blossom, though I don't think there's as much about this year as there was last year. Perhaps that's just me, we're not getting out and about to see it all really, are we. The magnolia looks beautiful against the blue sky. We don't have one in our garden but our next door neighbours do so we enjoy theirs. My dad is having milk and eggs delivered by a milkman now, most people seem to buy their supplies from the supermarket these days but perhaps when this is all over more people will give their custom to the milkman again as they used to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The roads in this area where I know there are tree lined roads that have blossom at this time of the year we haven't, of course, visited. I'm sure they are a picture. The apple tree seems to be late in developing leaves let alone any blossom this year. The magnolia in the front garden I can see from the window. We need to prune it so that it doesn't get too big. The milkman's delivery to your Dad will be invaluable. I'm so grateful that a neighbour mentioned it and we shall definitely continue getting our milk from ours.

      Delete
  14. Your garden always fills me with such joy when you post about it! Such beauty! I love the blackbirds- their song is so virtuosic and varied compared to the sparrows we get!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your garden is a great asset too, Kezzie. Blackbirds have a beautiful song. As a musician you will appreciate that. We were sitting in the sunny covered yard this morning and I saw a flash of red - a robin. I think it's nesting somewhere in our garden in a hidden place behind the hedge.

      Delete
  15. Glad you are feeling better. How very nice to get those deliveries to your door especially during this time. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The deliveries are a great help. Thank you Ellen, I'm feeling better. A rest did be good :)

      Delete
  16. What a lovely tour of your surroundings. How lovely for your family to have a bench to now sit on when they visit. My daughter and grandson visited yesterday and we just stood in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daughter and grandson might as well be comfortable when they visit and like the back yard it's a sheltered spot by the magnolia tree :) I'm happy to hear that your daughter and grandson live near enough to visit you :)

      Delete
  17. You have a lovely garden. The cherry tree is quite handsome with so many blooms. I just had a cherry tree planted in my front yard, but it is very small. I hope next year I’ll have some blooms on it but it will take years. It is good that you have so many lovely plants around you. I feel sorry for the people who have to live in a small apartment in the city and can only view the streets below during our stay at home time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We gardeners sometimes have to be patient when it comes to waiting for trees to mature and have to see it as something we're doing to benefit the next generation. Yes, I agree, it must be very difficult living in a high rise block of flats with a family crowded together without even a balcony. A park nearby must be an asset, but very difficult to get there in this time of crisis. Thank you for coming by. I hope you are well and I will look to see if you have posted a blog recently. I would like to hear your news.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment which is appreciated.
Moderation is on and Spam will be deleted.