A rich tapestry

March 27, 2020

Friday Bliss #81

It's another sunny day today so outside in the garden or indoors as we stay home the good weather continues to be appreciated.
Here are five photos of my week, joining Riitta's Friday Bliss......


I sit in the front room and read, write my journal and work on my embroidery project. I can look out of the front window and feel part of the neighbourhood community.  It's still very quiet and few people pass by.
Last evening by arrangement with our Whatsapp group for our street we agreed by text that all who were able to would stand on our respective doorsteps in order to clap and cheer and show our gratitude for all the medical and social care personnel who are working in challenging situations in our hospitals, medical centres, ambulance services, laboratories, private and care homes and related fields to look after all in need especially at this time of crisis. It was an emotional experience as our neighbours young and old stepped out into our front gardens, put porch lights on as by then it was dark and started clapping at 8pm.  We live in a crescent so we could not see everyone, but we could hear the clapping up and down the road and around the corner which is a little lane leading to the other houses. The clapping went on for at least ten minutes.  We waved to our immediate neighbours across the street and to our next door neighbours along the row of houses.  Up and down the UK in every community individuals were doing the same. Showing love and respect for the National Health Service workers was a Clap for Carers initiative.  Live television showed our local and national communities clapping as an act of appreciation.  We really felt united across the miles. We know that health workers are constantly battling away tirelessly for our benefit and we want to support them even more than ever.


There's a lot to write about in my journal.




I've got one more section of my tablecloth to embroider and I spend about an hour each afternoon on the project. I've put the tablecloth on a table to show you my progress.
This morning I picked a few primulas and miniature daffodils and arranged them in a small vase as a centre piece on our dining table.
Other things I've been doing is communicating with family, friends and neighbours, even though we're separated by distance, exchanging information and daily news, posting puzzles that we can all do together and generally keeping mentally occupied. What have you been doing to pass the time as we stay at home?
Thanks for coming by.  Have a good weekend whatever you're doing.



34 comments:

  1. I forgot all about it though my wife had gone to be early and heard some clapping along the nearby close, not sure about the road we live along. I do not belong to Whats app or any social media other than blogger so I'm a bit out of touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a chance to show appreciation for our health and care workers last night, but I'm sure they are on our minds continuously at the moment and want to support them. Our local daughter is on the front line in a local hospital. I have only just joined the WhatsApp group because it's the easiest way to communicate with neighbours so we can help one another.

      Delete
  2. I saw this on the news this morning, it was all over the world, and the videos they showed were very moving in each country.. that swan is really pretty even without the flowers. love your embroidery… mother was so good at that. she used to buy pillow cases and embrorery them for gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're all in this together and it's moving to be part of the acts of appreciation for the health workers. I have two vases shaped like swans. The other is pink. They were my mother's and I felt like getting one out and using it.

      Delete
  3. Clapping hands & other similar joint efforts are a great support to health care personal. Awful times, sigh. We stay at home too, only go quickly grocery shopping. I am thankful that I have my garden and books. Take care, stay well you and your whole family and thank you for these beautiful spring flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't been out at all for quite a while, but have been staying in our home as we can find things to occupy us there. Like you I'm grateful we have a garden and interests. Thank you for organising the Friday Bliss linkup. May you and your family stay well.

      Delete
  4. Such a beautiful and heart-warming post, dear Linda!
    Stay well and have a happy weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. Take care, stay well dear blog friend.

      Delete
  5. It's nice to hear something positive about our situation and joining in to thank the NHS staff for all their hard work is very appropriate as they are doing a marvellous job in difficult circumstances. Your embroidery is coming on a treat, there's not too much more to do. Enjoy your weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're grateful for the NHS service and those who work there. We know that they're doing wonderful work in challenging circumstances. I've enjoyed working on the embroidery. Take care CK. I hope you have a good weekend.

      Delete
  6. Your embroidery is just beautiful. Glad you are doing well staying in place at home.
    Tonight our mayor has said for us to go outdoors to applaud our doctors and nurses and every night at 7PM. I will be there. It is to the point that I don't even want to go further than my property. Once this is over it will feel strange to venture further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to hear that the mayor of your city has recommended that residents show appreciation for the work being done by the medical staff at this difficult time by applauding them. We have been requested to stay at home and only go out for essential needs or exercise. These measures are for our benefit and we can cope if we support one another through this health crisis.

      Delete
  7. Lovely post. Beautiful embroidery. Happy weekend to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen. Enjoy your weekend :)

      Delete
  8. Beautifully written. I have been hearing about this amazing experience of everyone getting out and clapping. Just so heartwarming and makes me feel proud of you all. Such an uplifting post, as well as all those lovely photos. Thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These demonstrations of appreciation for our health workers are heartening to see on our television screens. Good news from around the world lifts everyone's spirit.

      Delete
  9. Wow! Your tablecloth is gorgeous!
    Love the cover of your journal too.
    We have flashmobs in Italy too and are grateful to doctors and nurses...
    Have a tranquil weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Luisella. We saw Italians clapping as they stood on apartment balconies. Also singing to entertain neighbours. Italy is a land of talented singers. So good to see this on the news. Wishing you a peaceful weekend.

      Delete
  10. A lovely post to read this morning Linda, your community sounds wonderful and very supportive of each other. I'm glad so many went out and clapped their appreciation of all the wonderful people in the front line at this dreadful time. I opened the blinds and saw one or two people at their bedroom windows clapping but no one out on the street. Your spring flowers are so cheerful. Have a peaceful weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the blog post about the week in our house and what has been happening in our neighbourhood. Our neighbours have now formed quite a bond through texting one another and helping one another out. Good has certainly come out of this crisis situation. I hope you're also having a peaceful weekend.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful post with lovely images of flowers to lift our spirits. Stay safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you MM. You too. It was good to have you come visit via my blog.

      Delete
  12. Hello Linda,

    oh yes, we also clap here and the police as well as the fire brigade have already expressed their thanks in cities with blue lights and horns. Whereby we must also thank them, because already some policemen have infected themselves, one has died (mainland).

    Nice to see your flowers and to hear that the community is doing just as well in the streets.

    Hope is what we have to have, and I hope you and your family are doing well.

    Stay healthy and take care of yourselves

    Greetings and all the best

    N☼va

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're grateful for first responders in all the different fields of work, volunteers too. It's during a crisis like the one we are all facing that we realise how much they do to keep us safe and well. We applaud them as they put themselves at risk daily in challenging conditions.

      Delete
  13. At the start of this crisis we heard about the selfish acts of individuals, clearing shelves in supermarkets as they hoarded food thinking of no one but themselves, but as the days have gone on there seems to be a coming together and we're hearing more and more about the kindness and appreciation which the country as a whole is showing. It's heartening that in times of trouble we stand together (metaphorically). Your daffodils look beautiful in the dappled sunlight, it's dull and windy again here today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are thoughtless people who spoil life for the rest of us. Hopefully lessons will be learnt and we'll become a kinder society in the future. Surely we're being changed by this crisis. I know I'm more appreciative of the good, simple things in life often taken for granted and, of course, family, friends and other kind people. It's colder here too. I went out to fix a hanging garden ornament, but didn't linger.

      Delete
  14. It is nice that the clap world goes far for the thanks to the helpers. I only go where there are no people and only briefly to the supermarket when I need something.
    Nice that you have a job embroidering and seeing beautiful flowers on the table!
    We all have to hold out and have a lot of strength
    Stay healthy and take care of yourselves!
    Greeting Elke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elke. Stay well yourself. We haven't been out-and-about for several weeks and although we would like to the weather has got colder again and I don't feel like going out. We stay indoors and gather our strength. I will follow you so that we can be in touch.

      Delete
  15. Loved this post! It's good to hear your street is connected by whatsapp, thank god for technology, which is keeping you both in touch with family and friends. Imagine how awful it would be without it these difficult days.I love that tablecloth and that beautifully planted swan.
    Yes...our key workers need all the applause they can get, such brave souls, I salute them. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The key workers are putting their lives at risk. We thank them and appreciate them. Hope all is well with you - such a difficult time when family groups are separated because of the need to stay at home unless it's essential to go out for a short time i.e. for you it'll be dog walking and exercising. Take care Dina. xxL

      Delete
  16. Hello Linda, Your embroidery tablecloth is just so beautiful and the swan vase with spring flowers centerpiece brings a nice whimsical feeling to your table. So lovely! While these times are a bit crazy and sometimes overwhelming it seems to be bringing out the best in many people. I pray for your country, your leaders and your families as I do for mine. We all know the Lord will see us through. May the Lord bless and keep you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just felt that I would honour my Mum by using some of her ornaments that are usually in the china cupboard. I do love the small vintage swan vases and remember her using them as every day items. They're very suitable for small posies of miniature flowers. Thank you for your prayers as we pray for you and your citizens and leadership. Every blessing.

      Delete
  17. That's so beautiful and touching to hear about your community clapping. Beautiful embroidery and flowers!! Your post is so filled with light and peace!! Blessings for joy and good health to you and your family!!♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shaydel. I'm thinking of you also and will keep in touch. Every blessing.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment which is appreciated.
Moderation is on and Spam will be deleted.