A rich tapestry

March 11, 2020

A quick walk by the reservoir.

Today we went to the local reservoir so that I could take a walk by the water.  I saw other walkers in front of me in the distance all with the same mind.


I went as far as the stone with the carved sailing boat on it and back again.


The wind was blowing madly which meant that there were strong-looking waves. The water sparkled when the sun periodically came out from behind the clouds. The reservoir looked full and the water came well up the side of the banks.  I didn't go too near as the reservoir water must be very deep.




The Sheffield Viking Sailing Club clubhouse with rowing facilities next to it.






I saw the sticky, protective outer casings of the horse chestnut tree that are there before the leaves burst out and begin to unfurl and bright, shiny yellow celandines.


At the carved stone I turned around and walked along the path...








...... back to the safe lay-by where the car was parked.


Along the lane water was still running off the hills and in some places there were patches of water with road signs indicating the danger of ice when they freeze over. In the above photo the reflections on the road are from the standing water which in turn was flowing across the winding road and then downwards finding its own way along a channel by the pavement which only runs on one side of the road by the reservoir.


an old stone water trough



We passed farms and country pubs on this stretch of the lane.



We turned up the hill for home stopping to take photos of the daffodils on the village green.  Residents here have a good view across the valley.  Did you notice the small grindstones inserted into the wall of someone's garden?



a beautiful camellia in another garden


sweet alyssum in this garden


Here's an old water trough with pump which must have been part of the original wall and is being used as a planter.


There were plenty of old, dried up sweet chestnut nuts and beech nuts with their casings under the trees probably left from last Autumn as well as small branches on the grass that must have blown down during the recent stormy weather. 



After this date lockdown by the government was enforced. 

29 comments:

  1. How nice to get out and have a fresh air walk. Great photos. Love seeing all the flowers already blooming. A very interesting stone fence for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt exhilarating to be out for a short walk with plenty to notice along the way.

      Delete
  2. Very pleasant walk that. Went to Wales today to visit our caravan and passed though a village that got flooded, the water mark was half way up one of the windows on one hose. Really sad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to remember that people are still dealing with the aftermath of the floods in some regions and are having a miserable time.

      Delete
  3. it is all really beautiful and a fine and lovely place to walk. my favorite is the stone wall with the grinding stone. those colorful boats are so pretty. good to hear you are both doing well now and that your knee is allowing you to do your walk/jogs again... I do hope your family and friends in Italy are safe from this pandemic...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boats were all wrapped up for now. It'll be good to see them out on the water once more. It would have been good sailing weather yesterday.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely walk, I do like the grindstones in the wall and that camellia is beautiful. Good to hear your knee is better and that Mr P is walking unaided.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grindstones are a good reminder of past times in this area and are now being used in a different way. We have half grindstones set in the wall in our front garden, but it's nice to see the whole ones in other locations. Progress with the walking is satisfying!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful walk!! I see some ivy in one of the photos! I think Ivy has such cute leaves. Such pretty buildings and the flowers are glorious! Lovely photos! We still have plenty of snow all around here in North Dakota but we are beginning to see the ground in areas where it started to melt. Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the walk Angela. It was good to see the different greenery. I like to see the mosses and new fern leaves appearing as well as the dark green ivy. You must be pleased to see the earth and grass as the snow melts. Stay warm and have a good week yourself!

      Delete
  6. A walk to blow the cobwebs away. Bright and breezy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed. Thank you for visiting :)

      Delete
  7. You just need to get out and about for a breath of air sometimes. I'm pleased to hear your knee is feeling so much better, it sounds like you have a gym at home with all the exercises going on. Your walk produced some beautiful photos in the sunshine, it's amazing what you find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Our daughters ask us if we have been doing our exercises when they text or phone. I'm supposed to do 60 steps up and down on the bottom step of the stairs every day, but don't manage that many! Mr P has a gentler exercise regime :)

      Delete
  8. Old grindstones and water pumps, fresh blossoms and dried chestnuts, the clouds so beautiful!! So many precious moments in your "quick" walk!!! So glad for you that your knee is well!! Actually recently I have been having pain in my knee, so I am taking a break today from walking, and happy to go along on yours!!! Wow, you can even do a "jog" , that's encouraging!!Thank you for the encouraging joy verses that you left on my comments!! Blessings and may your heart leap for joy as you enjoy all God's creation and the coming of spring!!♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shayndel for your encouraging words. With regard to my knee it's almost a year since I started having trouble due to over strain (using a high stool to do some Spring cleaning). Gradually things have improved, but I balance out activities and rest as well as doing the approved exercises given by a physiotherapist who specialises in knee injuries. I hope your knee gets better. The benefit of the internet is being able to take a virtual walk with blog friends :)

      Delete
  9. Glad to hear that your exercises are helping and that you can still get out and about for a stroll without too much discomfort. It looks like you had a lovely walk by the water in the sunshine. The village looks looks lovely with all the daffodils and camelias. I like the stone walls too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have some pleasant places nearby to take a walk. Even a walk around the neighbourhood is uplifting and is a good way to keep up the exercise routine as well as seeing what's happening in the gardens or the countryside.

      Delete
  10. I'm pleased to hear that you're both recovering well, and that you're managing to get out for a walk when the weather cooperates. It's awful again here today with high winds, and we had torrential rain and thunder and lightening last night. I do love to see all the daffodils about at this time of year, a real pick-me-up, especially when the sun's beating down on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday's walk was a big deal and I felt much better for it. The same for Mr P as he gets back to normal with driving and mobility. Getting out into the countryside and fresh air, avoiding crowded places seems wise at the moment. It's still windy here and we've had sun then showers today. The daffodils on the village green featured here have survived well considering the stormy weather :)

      Delete
  11. A beautiful walk...it reminds me of the Garda lakeshore in winter. Your parting shot is particularly lovely. Love your banner image too.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful quiet peacefulness, a feast for the eyes in these interesting times.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad your knees are better. I really enjoyed your walk by the water, and all the gardens on the walk home. Spring seems to be popping up all over, and it's a welcome sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol. I'm glad you enjoyed the walk. It's uplifting to see signs of Spring ☺️

      Delete
  14. Hi There, Glad you are doing better and can get out and do some walking/hiking. That is such a beautiful area...

    Hope you are are staying healthy during these scary times. No Covid 19 cases in our county so far --but we are being very very careful through this Virus scare. We also are not panicking --and definitely not hoarding items/food, etc... People can be nuts at times like this.

    Stay healthy and safe.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betsy. Take care yourself. It's hard for us having to stay out, but we understand that it's necessary to protect ourselves and hope others will be considerate themselves. xxL

      Delete
  15. What a lovely walk. I think I need to take pictures of my walks in my neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which is appreciated.
Moderation is on and Spam will be deleted.