I looked out of the bedroom window this morning. The weather didn't look very promising. There's quite a wind getting up, but thankfully the rain has held off. I took a stroll around the garden and now the sun has come out.
The fuchsia bush and the chrysanthemums in the front garden are thriving and there are roses blooming in the raised bed.
The Hot Lips salvia seems to be doing well. I'm not sure whether it'll die down with the first frosts, but I shall probably leave it until then. Other salvias have survived outside in the colder months and it seems a shame to dig it up and bring it into the covered yard now that it has got established in a sheltered corner.
It's fascinating to see olive berries and actual olives on the two olive trees that are still outside. They'll stay there in the garden for now. We phoned my sister-in-law in Italy yesterday to see how she and her husband were doing. They're elderly and in poor health. It's good to know that they've had visits from their children and grandchildren who've been over from England to see them. Relatives and friends who live in the village have been helping them with their daily needs. There has been the grape harvest and soon it'll be time to gather the olives from the many trees in the area. They'll be taken to the local mill to be processed into olive oil. The drought conditions continue over there.
Last Friday was a sunny day. Mr P cut the grass, swept up the first lot of leaves that have fallen and did some pruning of the pear tree as the branches were growing too high for him to manage without a ladder.
The pears were picked. There weren't so many this year so no bottling will be done. The skins look a bit mottled, but when peeled they've proved to be juicy and tasty.
With the windy weather comes the need to sweep up leaves. It's another chore to deal with, but we have to remember the glut of figs that were enjoyed in the Summer and be thankful for home grown produce.
The garden table and chairs were put inside the covered yard. A few tomato plants have been left in one corner. The ripe cherry tomatoes get picked to put with salad leaves and rocket.
These sweet peppers could be roasted, but as we don't cook them for ourselves they'll be given away.
love the hot lips and they do look HOT. LOL... love the last photo best of all and it is amazing to have flowers and vegetables this time of year. sorry about the drought in Itlaty. ours is continuing since the storm left. 1 rain in 30 days. not good for Fl.
ReplyDeleteThank you Sandra. The salvia is doing well. Drought conditions are worrying. You've had difficult time with the hurricane. Hope you have some rain soon.
DeleteA nice look at your garden. Happy last day of October to you. Hope November is full of good things for you!
ReplyDeleteAll the best for November Ellen.
DeleteI love seeing more of your garden. What a lovely garden it is. Our salvia seems to die back, then return every spring staying outdoors. I have a feeling yours would do well too. The pears look delicious! We have an Asian pear tree, but it has never produced anything. We had a nice little batch of figs recently, enough to make a coffee cake. Thanks for sharing your garden and walks with us.
ReplyDeleteI hope the salvia continues to do well. I don't buy many plants and rely on what's already growing in the garden. Our daughter makes fig jam. Your sounds delicious.
DeleteYou have such a beautiful garden still with lots of colour and edible produce too. Collecting leaves is an ongoing task at the moment but the tree is getting bare now so not too many more. Lovely to get out for a walk after the wind and rain:)
ReplyDeleteThe wind has calmed down but the leaves keep on dropping naturally as they will now. I hope you can get out for a walk. I try to get out as much as possible and even a short walk does me good. :)
DeleteI'd just LOVE waking to that view from your bedroom. It's beautiful. And so, too, is your garden and harvest. I'm really impressed with all you have pulled in, even if some crops weren't as big as usual. I got out for my first walk in weeks yesterday. The hip/leg were screaming by the time I got home but the shortness of breath from the afib was much improved!
ReplyDeleteSo glad that you could get out for a walk after your recent treatment for heart problems. I find that it does me good to get some exercise by taking a walk, but I rest in between. I hope you are soon back to full strength.
Delete