A rich tapestry

September 05, 2022

A Local Walk


sunflowers in the front garden

It was another sunny day today so after going to the post office to post a birthday card to a grandson I took a walk on the local common land.  


Mr P took me there as it's an uphill walk and he parked in the car park and waited in the car.  I expect it was quite pleasant sitting in the sunshine.  As usual I wasn't long, but it gave me an opportunity to get some exercise as I walked close by on one of the paths that meanders through the Common.  Even though everywhere is still green there are signs that Autumn is on its way. 




After such a dry Summer there are notices to remind walkers and those who take a picnic with them to be aware that even though there's a lot of greenery much of the vegetation on this sandy habitat is tinder dry and is vulnerable to wild fires occurring. 

 
Some of the vegetation at the entrance gate was knee-high or taller, but there was a way in and I walked up one of the paths passing dog walkers along the trail.                                                               


the heather is in flower


Rose bay willow herb is still in flower, but beginning to produce seed pods down the stems that will eventually release fluffy seeds that will be blown about on the wind.





There were brambles, but few blackberries left on the bushes. The prickly gorse was also something to contend with on the narrow paths where the bracken had grown tall, but it was an enjoyable walk that did me good.


The Common is deceptively high up and at certain places you can see for miles across the surrounding countryside.






Although I love the birch trees that grow on the Common my favourite place is the area around the car park where there are different species of tree.  There are oaks, willows, sycamore and white hornbeams and every Springtime narcissi planted by the volunteers and rangers who look after the land are in bloom under the trees. 
  

the white hornbeam


the berries - still green

The white hornbeam is a deciduous tree which is related to the rowan.  It has clusters of white flowers  in the Springtime and produces speckled red berries in the Autumn that birds favour. Although the leaves are green their undersides are almost white. On a windy day the moving leaves have a silvery, shimmering appearance.


the willow


Back in our front garden the bunches of grapes are beginning to colour up as are the leaves. We'll continue to make the most of the good weather either in the garden or when we're out and about in our local area.   

Once more thank you for your visit.  Have a good day and week!

24 comments:

  1. Oh Linda, what a fabulous walk -- and local, too. That heather! That's not something we see here and it's so very beautiful. There is so much that's lovely in this post -- but this is what will stand out in my heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're fortunate to be able to walk freely on the Common. Arranged walks are happening again led by ornithologists, archaeologists etc because it's a place of historical interest. Vast areas of purple heather will be in flower on the local moorland. I must go and take a look as I haven't been that way recently.

      Delete
  2. How nice to be able to enjoy a walk on the Common. We are looking at 10 day forecasts and see a lot of rain during our trip. Hopefully there will be some sun breaks here and there! Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you are looking forward to your trip to the UK and I'm looking forward to seeing where you go in Oxford and the rest of the county. Thankfully there are many interesting buildings -(museums, art galleries, old pubs, colleges and churches you can look around if there are rain showers. Enjoy your time away. Until then have a good week.

      Delete
  3. I always enjoy your walks and can imagine walking there with you. I think the sunflowers at the beginning and then the grapes at the end just made me smile. I was in our garden today and noticed we will soon have one sunflower and we do have just a few clusters of grapes almost ready to nibble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pleasure to take you on one of my walks Marilyn. Enjoy your garden. Autumn is a lovely season, full of mellow fruitfulness and pretty flowers. That sunflower had so many flowers on one stem that it was one to notice and smile.

      Delete
  4. It's good to get some fresh air and see what Nature's been up to! It's looking quite green after all the dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm back to my local walks although not on showery days like today. We need the rain though.

      Delete
  5. A lovely walk with plenty of interest along the way. The Horse Chestnuts that I've seen seem to be limping along after the heatwave and drought, they seem to have fared a lot worse than many trees which have withstood the conditions much better. Your grapes don't seem to have suffered, they're looking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a while since I walked on the Common so it was interesting to see the seasonal changes. I'm glad I saw the purple heathers in flower and the green ferns before they really dry out and turn brown. I think trees need plenty of water that'll soak into their roots. We haven't had the quantities of rainfall over the Summer that they need. It's a shame to see plants and trees suffering because of the dry conditions. Our grapes are doing okay and probably in a good place getting warmth from the drystone wall, but not enough bunches to make any juice. They'll be sour even if they ripen. We'll leave them for the birds. People notice the vines when they walk by and they've become a talking point when we've been in the front garden.

      Delete
  6. I prefer a walk in overgrown uncared for places like this. so much beauty, even the gate entrance is wonderful and those sunflowers are pure joy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Common covers a vast area that was once a Chase (a medieval/Tudor area for exercising horses and hunting). When Mary Queen of the Scots was kept in the local castle on house arrest she was allowed to ride and exercise her horse on the Chase. It's still a wild, hilly, rocky area popular with local people. The rangers and volunteers do a good job in looking after it.

      Delete
  7. This was a very nice walk, Linda, and thanks for the information on the plants you saw along the route.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed my walk on the Common.

      Delete
  8. The white hornbeam is lovely and your front garden sunflowers too. Looks like you had a lovely walk even though some of the paths were a little overgrown in places. Such a lovely walk to have close to home:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all need these public places and green spaces near where we live and I'm grateful that I can get there for a walk. :)

      Delete
  9. What a lovely walk! I enjoyed the sunflowers and heather. That is such a beautiful hornbeam.Snowbird.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dina. It's good to hear from you. I hope you and the family are well. Speak soon, Linda xx

      Delete
  10. A wonderful walk -- and isn't it nice to have a chauffer who is willing to wait for you? (I'm kidding of course -- I also have a husband who doesn't like to walk as much as I do, but is willing to wait for me. You and I are fortunate.) Beautiful wildflowers and trees -- the hornbeam is a new one for me, the silvery appearance must be beautiful to see! Our daughter's grapes are just turning perfect -- I'll pick a few for us next time we go out to the farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Sallie. We both have husbands willing to drive us and wait while we walk and take photos. We can share and learn so that's good. All the best with your walking and birding this September.

      Delete
  11. Hello Linda, Yes, a very lovely walk. We must take advantage of all this lovely weather for as long as it lasts. Winter comes all too soon. We too have been having a long dry spell and with it the fire danger. Our whole state has been on alert for the last couple of days due to fires east of the mountains. The air has been filled with smoke and everything is covered in ash. We are keeping the windows closed and staying inside because the air is quite toxic at the moment. We often complain about the rain but we sure would appreciate a late summer shower right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear about the wild fires. The weather is becoming more extreme, either too much rain causing flooding or too little creating hazards such as wild fires. Here we're welcoming cooler conditions and rain showers now. I enjoy my neighbourhood walks and I'm glad to share. I hope rain brings relief to the region where you live. Thank you for visiting my blog. It's good to hear from you. Blessings to you and your family.

      Delete
  12. I so love seeing your beautiful walking trails. They are lovely and you have such beautiful plants to see. I loved the purple blooms. We have to grab those good days while we can! I've been offline for a couple of weeks and doubt I'll ever catch up. But hopefully now I can keep up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds as if you've had a wonderful Summer at the lake. I hope your September is just as enjoyable.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment which is appreciated.
Moderation is on and Spam will be deleted.