Our drive back home to Sheffield was more straightforward than going down to Berkshire when one of the major routes across country that we usually take was closed due to a Moto Grand Prix sports motorbike racing event at Silverstone race circuit. The beech woods in Oxfordshire were shades of green compared with the above photo taken on an earlier journey when the trees were beginning to turn into Autumn shades.
Driving through Caversham we stopped to put flowers on the family graves at Henley Road Cemetery.
We then stopped in the village of Nettlebed as I had hoped to see the stained glass windows in the church designed by the English artist John Piper, a painter, printmaker, photographer, book jacket and theatrical set designer. Unfortunately when I spoke to a villager who was out litter-picking (although from what I observed the village looked immaculately well-kept), the gentleman explained that the church was closed at this time because of vandalism. However, the key could be obtained from a church warden who lived opposite the church. With a long journey ahead of us it was not possible to stop for long, but I did take a walk in the churchyard and took photos of the exterior of the church and surrounding buildings.
The origin of the name Nettlebed is unknown. There are various theories. One is that Roman soldiers in the 1st and 2nd century AD rubbed nettles on their limbs to keep warm on marches! Another well known fact is that nettles yield a thread which can be made into linen cloth. Many homes in the 18th century had sheets and table cloths made from nettles that grew in abundance around the area.
The present church was designed by J. Henry Hakewill (1811-1880) of London and built on the site of the original 12th century church. Remains of the first church can be seen forming the base of the tower of the present building (not photographed).
The lychgate is also a war memorial.
There was a beautiful copper beech in the churchyard.....
and an impressive hedge at the entrance to the garden of one of the village homes.
This notice looked intriguing so I walked a short way down the lane by the side of the churchyard to take a look at what might be there.
The refreshments at The Cheese Shed looked inviting. It was a pity that we couldn't stay and sample them - another time if we're in the area.
Looking back I saw the gentleman litter-picker and engaged him in conversation. We know now that we need to contact the church warden if we want to visit the church out of hours of church services.

Someone has visited and has taken a photo of one of the stained glass windows and has given it public domain status which gives an idea of one of the designs. It would be even better for us to visit the church sometime and take in the detail of this place of worship.
The lane by the church. In the Home Counties and elsewhere the grass was brown due to the lack of rain. The fields that we passed were golden with wheat and barley, but farmers have reported that the grains are small and the yield will be less because of the intense heat and no rain over the Summer months.
Despite the lack of rain people are still lovingly tending their gardens. Above are some random photos - dahlias in a garden near our daughter D's home and a Reading Council flower display outside the Italian restaurant taken at night. Opposite are the Forbury Gardens. I'll probably post some old photos of my walks in Reading town centre another time. This time it was all about being with our family.
The internet seems to be back on track. Thank you for coming by.
that church is beautiful and I do hope sometime you can get inside to show us that part too. the hedge is AMAZING and I am pondereing just how they trim it like that. ladders? that would be a sight to see also. you traveled through beautiful scenery. sorry to hear about the crops and heat and lack of rain, we have that here also and it is not good at all. we may need to learn to eat weeds because they seem to thrive without rain and love heat.
ReplyDeleteIt's a lovely drive out that way and our regular route back home in the north of England so hopefully we'll see inside the church another time. Meanwhile I hope the church and community there stay safe from vandalism. It was touching to see the elderly gentleman out in the village litter-picking.
DeleteFascinating reading about the naming of Nettlebed. A beautiful area and always sad to read a church has been vandalized. Nice to meet up with that gentleman who was picking up litter and told you where to get the key for next time. Thank you for sharing about the church and its picture-perfect surroundings. Hope people get the rain they need, just enough and not too much.
ReplyDeleteThank you Denise. As for the weather, it's good to have the sunshine, but we also need the rain especially for the farmland crops, garden produce and flowers.
DeleteNettlebed is only three of four miles from me and I have visited Pishill . You had a nice walk around the village, The Cheese Shed was not there when I visited
ReplyDeleteMaybe you'll go to Nettlebed sometime Bill. Your Church Explorer photo blog is very interesting.
DeleteHow annoying that you couldn't get into the church and even more to hear of vandalism. We did see the window which was wonderful but didn't see all the things that you discovered so than you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteGlad the blog post was informative. The surrounding area so near Henley-on-Thames is a favourite area when down that way. Hopefully get back there some time in the future.
DeleteLooks like a very interesting detour. It would be nice to view the inside of the church sometime and see the sun streaming through the stained glass windows. It is sad that people will vandalize churches that are left open for visiting.
ReplyDeleteI find places of worship inspirational. A country church has usually been on a site for hundreds of years. Each one reflects the life of a village community in the historical detail. It's upsetting to learn that they're vulnerable to vandalism.
DeleteI do hope you can go back to see the inside of the church. The glimpse of the one window is magical. How I would love seeing them too. The name of the community is fascinating too. I think I like the second idea best. I can't imagine sheets made out of nettle. Hope you are having a good week.
ReplyDeleteThank you Marilyn. Nettle stalks become stringy. I imagine they were beaten first to make individual threads that could be woven. Mr P's family did the same with flax stalks in Italy in times past. The threads were woven to make linen products such as bed sheets. Time consuming but necessary work done in the home in the olden days.
DeleteIt's too bad that vandals often ruin things and that now the church could not be seen without advance permission. That hedge was amazing and must have taken quite awhile to bgrow and trim.
ReplyDeleteI wish we could have stayed longer but we needed to get home with a long drive ahead of us. Another time we'll know to contact the key holder so that we can visit the church.
DeleteWhat a wonderful trip. And what a pity that the church has to be locked from vandalism. The photo of the window is beautiful. The town looks charming and I love the name. I always think of nettle soup -- I never thought of the threads. It sounds like a perfect day.
ReplyDeleteA Polish friend made us nettle soup once. I believe it's good for you and full of vitimins. We enjoyed being back in Berkshire and Oxfordshire driving through the woods and picturesque villages.
Delete* vitamins
Delete