sunrise at 6 am this morning - an amazing sky
After our exciting time of family events we're now back to our usual homely routine which for me includes a weekly visit to the library to collect a stack of books I'd reserved. The weather is still good enough for sitting out in the garden during the day.
Mr P collected more ripe figs and tomatoes from the fig tree and greenhouse We've had a glut of both and daughter D who has gone home now has been working in her own garden. She took a basket of figs and has made several types of jam - fig, blackberry and apple, plum and apple. We can't wait for the next time we visit her in Berkshire and enjoy toast and jam for breakfast.
I walked in the Walled Garden by the library as usual. The flowers there reflect the fact that we're transitioning into the season of Autumn with dahlias and rudbeckias. The Mediterranean herb garden area and the new banana plant looked at home in the sunshine. The sunflowers also looked good as they had been planted by the newly rendered and painted high wall.
Our garden is surviving although it's not as colourful as normal. I need to water the rose bushes. There's been a few nights when we've had some rain, but we could do with a good soaking. (The red rose bush in the pot in the above mosaic is the one that Mr P received for his birthday).
I brought a couple of roses indoors and arranged them in a small vase. The stems and leaves were being chewed by cutter bees so I shall have to keep an eye on the young cuttings that Mr P has got established.
I'm having technical problems with editing photos so it's slow progress with blogging at the moment. I'm sure I'll work out what's wrong with my photo files and get back on track. Next time I'll write about the new library books I'm reading.



Lovely, those jams sound delicious. It looks like an alien has landed at the walled garden! Ha!
ReplyDeleteWe look forward to the next visit to see daughter D in Berkshire. Oh yes, the flower pot man - the volunteers find ways of amusing the children who come to the walled garden. :)
DeleteIt's lovely to get back into routine sometimes, even after excitement! I am envious of those figs but did have a week of picking them fresh from the trees in France so at least I had that. I am HOPING my ones on my fig tree get big enough and ripe in time....
ReplyDeleteIt takes several years before a tree is mature enough to produce fruit. I hope you enjoy your figs.
DeleteWe've read or listened to all the Inspector Gamache series from Louise Penny. Love the character development in the series. She has a new book coming out later this year. How wonderful to have a good crop of figs and tomatoes! Enjoy your weekend!
ReplyDeleteI've also found the Inspector Gamache series interesting because of the character development. I've started The Madness of Crowds which is right up-to-date since it's set in the present time of the pandemic. I'll write more about it next time. A positive aspect of this Summer's heatwave is the amount of ripe fruit we've gathered and shared with others. :)
DeleteI am making a lot of jam too, this summer: raspberry, blueberry, Gooseberry. A pleasure to collect the fruits too.
ReplyDeleteHave a nice weekend!
We shall have a good supply in our store cupboards. Your jams made with those soft fruits will be delicious. :)
DeleteYour daughter is like my mother was when I was growing up. she made jams/preserves/jelly out of any fruit she could find for free. her pear preserves were delish, I refused to eat the fig preserves but would eat it now. back then there was much i would not eat. even tuna fish. now I eat anything but onions. enjoy your books, books are what keep me happy, they have since I was a child
ReplyDeleteMr P grows produce and he either cooks or preserves it and we enjoy it. His heritage was in farming and he's passed the skills to his children and grandchildren. Home cooking from home produced food is the best. Enjoy your reading Sandra. It takes us to new places and new worlds.
DeleteThe sunrise was beautiful and your figs and tomatoes look wonderful too. You have a super selection of books to enjoy, I've read the bottom three of your pile. The jams made by your daughter sound wonderful just the thing for toast or scones:)
ReplyDeleteThe days are mellow now. We're still enjoying the warm weather and the garden and glad that it's cooler. We're especially thankful for the produce. My reserved library books were ready to collect all at once. I shall read the latest publications first. Most don't have to be returned for several weeks so as the good weather is lasting I can relax, sit in the garden and enjoy my reading. Wishing you both a good Sunday and week ahead.
Delete