A rich tapestry

March 31, 2022

The Garden in March

I keep a note in my diary regarding the weather conditions each day and although it seemed that we had quite a few sunny days actually we also had quite a lot of rain at the beginning of the month (an extension of a rather stormy February). The full moon in March is apparently called the Worm Moon because it's supposed to be the time when worms become active in the earth and start to turn the soil over. The moon seemed to have an orange glow.  Perhaps it was due to particles of sand in the atmosphere as some people have recorded that they had sand dust settle on the ground and on their vehicles? There have been sand storms in the Sahara Desert.
Here in South Yorkshire there have been occasional nights of frost although on the whole the weather has been quite mild in the daytime. Thankfully we have the covered yard to protect many of our plants in pots. Mr P started to transfer some tomato plants into the greenhouse this month. In the vegetable plot he's growing chard and purple sprouting broccoli, but he's now limited for space there.  However, every little helps to supplement our diet especially green vegetables.



Christmas/Easter Cactus in the hanging basket, 
pots of Dog tooth Violet or Erythronium 'Pagoda' and Fritillaria 'Uva'


I bought a small camellia the other day which Mr P has repotted.  It needs to be grown in ericaceous compost. The nectarine sadly has leaf curl disease so probably no nectarines will develop this year.


Hyacinths and 'Paper White' narcissi growing in the garden.


We had a sprinkling of snow overnight but thankfully the sunshine has melted it. The indoor pot plants are kept indoors in the warm in the living rooms and covered yard.




Thank you for coming by and I wish you a good day, weekend and peaceful April days wherever you are.  

28 comments:

  1. I have never had a plant that bloomed indoors, yours make me jealous and want one. i am black thumb to them and have tried several times over my life time. even violets on the window sill always died right away. yum on soon to be veggies. last week on one of my walks with Beau, the moon was down right in front of us and had a brilliant orange circle glow around it. the first like it that i have ever seen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I've said many times Mr P is the one with 'the green thumb'. I'm glad that the family are interested in gardening too. It's a satisfying interest. It was interesting to hear your experience regarding this month's full moon.

      Delete
  2. Such beautiful flowers Linda. Just catching up with blogging again. I enjoyed reading your post, particularly about recording the weather. The Primary school used to do something similar each day - rainfall and cloud shape etc all logged. Take care, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased to hear from you and I'm happy to hear you're going to start blogging again. I look forward to your news.

      Delete
  3. Your plants are spectacular! And what a wonderful bunch of blooms you have already. We're still waiting for temps warm enough to dare put things outside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jeanie. I hope the weather warms up for you soon. Have a lovely weekend.

      Delete
  4. The weather is so interesting, always up to something. I always mean to make a temperature blanket for the year but haven't got round to it yet! We had a few snowy spots but nothing that settled. My London son mentioned about the dust their a little while ago. Your colourful plants are doing well, it's a shame about the nectarine though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the weather changes as they're to be expected although they're getting more extreme. I don't welcome snow that freezes. We had to go out this morning and use the motorway. I'm glad Mr P is a good driver as we had sleet and hail along the way and now we're home there's sunshine again. The usual Spring plants are growing in the garden. It's just as well that we have the covered area to grow a mix of vegetables, herbs and flowering plants. We try to be organic when growing fruit and veg. I'm hoping the leaf curl on the nectarine won't damage developing fruit and we'll have a few nectarines again this year.

      Delete
  5. The temperatures are certainly varied! It was wonderful having a week of sunshine. Lovely seeing all your indoor and outdoor plants, how neat and tidy everything looks. The purple sprouting broccoli and kale look fantastic!xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're already enjoying the green veggies. I'm sure you have an abundance of produce as I know you're good at planning and planting.

      Delete
  6. We had all weathers thrown at us today, Frost, sun, cloudy, snow, sleet, sun. Really mad march day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Berkshire daughter told us all about the weather. She was teaching the infants and they got excited when they saw the hail storm through their new teaching pod window.

      Delete
  7. Spring weather is always iffy. Love your variety of blooms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each year we add a few more plants and shrubs to the ones already growing in the garden. Some are grown in the flower beds but most stay in pots that can be moved around. "Spring showers are good for the flowers". :)

      Delete
  8. What a great idea to make a note of the weather each day. I sometimes screen shot a 10-day forecast and share it with my husband and son, and say to them, it’s going to be raining tomorrow, and a bit windy. I chuckle as I remind myself of that delightful lady Mrs. Bale in ‘As Time Goes by’ (my all-time favorite TV show), the ladu who shares the weather in the English Channel. I love that character! I was fascinated with your description of the worm moon. I have heard about the sand from the Sahara traveling a long way. I remember when Mt. Saint Helens erupted and we had ash floating down. We lived 800 miles away, very eerie and the sky was so yellow. Your garden is wonderful and I like the idea of the covered area. Looks like you are going to have quite a harvest. The flowers are beautiful! I like that last shot of your potted plants very much. Thanks for sharing and happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reminding me of the programme "As Time Goes By". Mrs. Bale is quite a character. It's a gentle programme and the kind I enjoy too. Our Earth's atmosphere is amazing. The fact that strong winds can blow dust and other particles to other places that are hundreds of miles away is thought-provoking. Thank you Denise. Happy weekend to you and Gregg.

      Delete
  9. So good to have the covered area for colder times for both plants and for sitting out in. You have some lovely plants and flowers in your garden. There have been some wonderful surises and sunsets recently with strong vibrant colours in the sky. Have a lovely weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're pleased to have the covered area. It's a useful space with several uses. I've noticed some beautiful sunrises and sunsets recently. The sun rises are easier to see from the back bedroom window than the sunsets that are unfortunately blocked by houses on rising ground. Thank you Rosie. I hope you are keeping well.

      Delete
  10. Spring is such a great season albeit changeable. It's a good idea to keep that weather calendar for your garden planning! I love love love the beautiful Spring flowers -- I think you have every one of my favorites in your wonderful garden. (I miss them here in Florida, where it is too hot. It was heavenly to see them again last year when we stayed home in Oregon.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring flowers are a welcome sight after the lack of colour during the Winter months. Mr P would love the warmth of Florida and we both miss the Mediterranean plants that we would see in Italy such as mimosa and almond blossom.

      Delete
  11. You have so much in your garden already growing. The only edibles in our garden right now are rhubarb and garlic. I love all your flowers and always love seeing your covered area full of pots of pretty things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're enjoying the Spring green vegetables now. We had rhubarb too, but that went when Mr P built the greenhouse on our small plot of land. It's surprising how much can be grown in pots, even vegetables, in the covered area. :)

      Delete
  12. When we lived in VA, my husband bought a portable greenhouse and had a grand time starting veggies there. It was fun for a while, but he lost interest eventually and luckily found someone who wanted to buy it. He returned to just putting seeds and plants directly in the ground. It was lovely seeing all your colorful flowing plants as we have none in NH now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever way gardening takes place it's satisfying to see plants growing. You put in some seeds and soon there are green shoots appearing - wonderful results can happen in a small space e.g. on a balcony or on an indoor shelf. :)

      Delete
  13. I enjoy all your gardening pictures. So much lovely color. We're just beginning to see some flowers bloom at home. But, tomatoes are a long way off, way too soon to plant anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're back to wet and windy weather and night time frosts so we're very thankful that we have sheltered areas in our garden such as the greenhouse and covered yard. Enjoy the seasonal blooms that are beginning to appear in your corner.

      Delete
  14. How happy all your house plants look. I enjoyed the moon images and all your lovely blooms and spring growth, How welcome it all is. The purple sprouting broccoli looks impressive! What a pretty camellia. Such a shame about your nectarines. Oh, I'm glad that snow didn't settle. Enough of winter.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what the weather is like over in the Liverpool area, but here it has suddenly got colder and wetter. I suppose the showers are good for some of the outside plants, but the windy and frosty conditions are not good for the developing fruit. As gardeners we remain optimistic though. Hope all is going well with you and your family. Happy growing days for you in April.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment which is appreciated.
Moderation is on and Spam will be deleted.