There are two garden centres near to where we live. We tend to go to the larger one. Most of the plants are displayed in the open air and I like to have a wander around. There are also two undercover departments and I needed to visit them. There's also a café with seating inside or outside. On this occasion we had a list and stuck to it. It's easy to get carried away and buy instead of sowing seeds or propagating from plants we already have. However, we did need to get some garlic bulbs. Sometimes I treat myself to a new plant. The shelves in the covered departments were full of Christmas decorations. Again it would have been easy to be tempted to get a few items, but I resisted this time.
Outside the bunting and spooky decorations were blowing about in the wind. Pumpkins were on sale for Hallowe'en.
Pumpkins always look so cheerful even if they are a bit spooky at this time of year. I like that calendar and what a good cause your money will go to. Our garden centre is also full of Christmas bits and bobs even though they are in the middle of improvements, it's all a bit chaotic!
ReplyDeleteWe like to see the carved pumpkins lit up in our neighbourhood at this time of the year. We watch the TV programmes featuring the RNLI. It's a good cause that we like to support. I was amazed how much stuff was in the garden centre. People have really taken to gardening in the last year or two. I'm pleased our two independent local ones have survived despite closures during lockdowns. They seem to be doing a roaring trade with the decorating sidelines too.
DeleteAnother delightful series of photos Linda, and I enjoyed your purchases :)
ReplyDeleteThank you Denise.
DeleteVisiting the garden centers during the holiday seasons is always a fun way to spend an afternoon. We have a couple of large ones in the area, but they are both a number of miles from us so I don't visit as often as I would like. Happy Gardening!
ReplyDeleteThank you Gloria. Planning is important so that we have interest in the garden all the year around. We haven't been to the garden centre for a couple of months and it was good to see what was on offer.
Deleteeverything looks good, all the different sizes and shapes and different kinds of pumpkins and gourds... festive and ready for autumn and Halloween. i prefer grinning faces over spooks.
ReplyDeleteWe don't go in for Hallowe'en. Our churches usually put on a Light Party for the children rather than doing anything spooky. I like to see the different pumpkins as they're an iconic Autumn decoration these days.
DeleteOh yes, it's so easy to get carried away in garden centres. Good for you sticking to your list. Love the Halloween pumpkins. We have lots of berries too, I do hope we don't have a hard winter.xxx
ReplyDeleteWe haven't room to grow squashes or pumpkins and I think they need a lot of watering. The different types and shapes are interesting, but the orange variety is my favourite. We hope for a mild Winter. The idea of being snowed in is not appealing.
DeleteIt's nice to be able to visit the garden centers. Good for you for keeping to your list. We have garlic that grows here and we never planted anything. It's always a surprise. Have a good rest of the week!
ReplyDeleteWe're thankful that the garden centres are nearby in a rural location. The short drive is enjoyed as much as the visit and the look around at the plants and other items. Thank you Ellen, have a good week.
DeleteP.S. surprise plants popping up on your land must be fun for the grandchildren to see. :)
DeleteGarden centres can be so tempting, it's good to go with a list and stick to it, especially at this time of year when seasonal goodies are on display along with the plants.
ReplyDeleteI was very tempted Jo when I saw all the new plants on show and the seasonal decorations. I would rather go to the garden centre than a crowded department store since they sell more than just plants. I could even walk to the nearer garden nursery on a fine day and take in the countryside views at the same time. :) The walk would involve a climb up a steep hill on the way back though! :(
DeleteLovely photos and purchases too. I like the look of the RNLI calendar. Pumpkins are always so cheerful to see in the shops, we passed a small field of them recently ready for harvesting for the farm shop. Yesterday we popped into a garden centre and although the halloween goods were out there were far more Christmas things. There are many berries about this year as you say the old adage is that it will be a bad winter. I hope not. Have a lovely weekend:)
ReplyDeletePumpkins are becoming popular and it's not surprising that some farmers are dedicating an area and growing them especially for the season. I liked the designs on the calendar and the fact that some money will go to the RNLI. Thank you Rosie. Have a very peaceful weekend yourselves.
ReplyDeleteIt is a joy to visit a well equipped garden centre. 😀 I bought some bulbs for next spring.
ReplyDelete