A rich tapestry

June 30, 2021

Our garden in June


It's the end of June so here are some mosaics of our garden this month.  There has been a lot going on in all areas of the garden.  The weather has been mixed with some sunshine that was reflected in the previous blog posts about life in general this past month, but mainly it has been cloudy with drizzly showers at times.  The roses that enjoyed the May rain continued to do well in situ.  Mr P cut a few from the front garden bushes and presented them to me one day.



I was particularly pleased to see the red rose "Happy Anniversary" 
in bloom this month.


I also like to see the smaller flowers such as those on the jasmine hedge,
 the dianthus plants in the planters and the wild geraniums.


I've tried to create areas where white flowers bloom and I'm happy to see a few lupins and foxgloves dotted here and there.



Another combination of colour I find pleasing is yellow and blue.  Sorry for the repeat photo of the yellow Arthur Bell roses and the blue agapanthus, but it's one of my favourite views across the lawn this June.  Mr P grew the marigolds and the love-in-a-mist from seed.


I keep my lily plant, hostas and dahlias in the covered yard so that I can easily look for slugs, snails, lily beetles and pick them off the plants.  The tomatoes are doing well in the greenhouse and covered yard and get a lot of TLC from Mr P.  We enjoyed our first crop of broad beans with an evening meal and the first few ripe strawberries were enjoyed as we watched an exciting televised Wimbledon tennis match.



Mr P continues to propagate any greenery he can to make new plants.  The amaryllis has produced flower buds for the fourth year.  


I like the wild look in areas of the garden although the grape vines growing on the front garden stone wall need their straggly branches trimmed every now and again.  The grapes are just beginning to appear.  Mr P pruned the philadelphus right back two years ago.  Last year it didn't bloom, but this year there is new growth and the flowers are back.

I'm sure you'll agree that we get a lot of pleasure from our garden even if it's small in comparison to many.   Another garden that continues to draw me to it is the walled garden in the park.  The plants there are so well tended by the volunteers and there are new plants to see every time I pop in to have a look around.  I went there yesterday after a visit to the library in the park and will share with you next time.  Meanwhile, thank you for your visit to my blog.  Have a good day!



18 comments:

  1. i always go through photos before i read your post. and the white seemed to jump out at me and I thought before I read, how beautifull all the white flowers are. if you ask me my favorite color of flowers I always say yellow. i think now i might say white. your garden is amazing to me and we did fianlly get rain last night but we have no flowers but a few small blue and my moss roses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something about white flowers that I love - maybe it's something to do with the association with bridal bouquets. White flowers also look lovely in the garden at twilight when they really stand out. White flowers are difficult to photograph though when they're in full sunlight.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful garden you have, Linda. Love all the variety that you enjoy. That bouquet is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to plan the garden so that there are flowers blooming in season. It's fun to walk around the garden and see what buds have opened overnight.

      Delete
  3. Your garden looks so beautiful at the moment, crammed full with exciting, colourful flowers. I particularly like the agapanthus and the yellow roses together but really how can you choose a favourite from them all. Well done Mr P for the surprise bouquet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr P often comes in from the garden with a single rose or a bouquet for me. Then there are the fruits and vegetables that he grows and are appreciated. He's an all-round good guy. :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful. You have so much interest and colour in your garden but, for me, the roses stand out. You have some really lovely varieties and don't those peachy pink ones look gorgeous in your vase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have quite a variety of roses now, but I would like more rambling ones. I'm waiting for some that Mr P stuck in the ground from gift bouquets to mature into larger bushes. The peach variety is one that grew from those propagated branches.

      Delete
  5. Wow, now that was a feast for the eyes. Its a shame that I wasn't able to smell the fragrance from some of those beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed seeing all the flowers. I'm enjoying the fragrance from the roses I arranged in a vase as I sit and relax in an afternoon.

      Delete
  6. What an amazing quantity of different flowers you are enjoying! I particularly like the violet rose. Charming and unique.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every day we see something new in the garden to delight us. The purple rose is lovely. Called Cardinal de Richelieu the colour is appropriate. It's a gallica old rose with a nice fragrance.

      Delete
  7. How lovely your garden is, I love the colour combinations and those white poppies. Enjoy your garden and the tennis. Have a lovely weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosie. I wish you both a good weekend also.

      Delete
  8. Dear Linda,
    stunning, amazing, gorgeous! Your garden is a paradise. Done with so much effort love and good taste. Congratulations. And yes, I agree!
    All my best and wonderful days in your amazing garden
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elisabeth for your kind words. I agree with you that our gardens are places where we can immerse ourselves in gardening activities, but the rewards are many.

      Delete
  9. That first bouquet is so beautiful.
    Then again your whole garden is lush and gorgeous.
    Nigella is a flower that I have really noticed this year. My garden shop tells me it is a weed, but I love seeing it and think it would be lovely in bouquets. We are starting some in the garden house. What a joy to see your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We receive packets of seeds as gifts. Nigella was chosen by one of our daughters because of the alternative name "Love-in-a Mist". It has a delicate flower and feathery leaves so is well named. Mr P scattered the seeds around a lemon tree in a pot and they've germinated and produced pretty plants.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment which is appreciated.
Moderation is on and Spam will be deleted.