A rich tapestry

May 10, 2021

Moving On from Loss and Bluebell Woods, Sheffield, South Yorkshire

It's not easy for us personally to go out into the wider world again especially when we've not been particularly well and haven't managed to do the everyday activities that we once took for granted before the first national lockdown, but we must try.  I've been fairly content to stay close to home, but also miss travelling to see family who live at a distance and, of course, go on our frequent trips to our home over in Italy.  It was stressful to receive the news that Mr P's sister, Stella, was ill with the virus and had been transferred to a local hospital and her family could not visit because of the Covid-19 restrictions.  Indeed, her funeral took place without them seeing her for the last month of her life.  Although we could not be with the family in person we've been constantly thinking of them.  We managed to phone Stella's daughter and two of Mr P's sisters which was a comfort for him and them.  Our family here in England have supported us with phone calls and yesterday our son came for a visit now that travel across the country is allowed and outdoor meet-ups can take place.  We had lunch in the garden as the weather was dry and our local daughter joined us as she brought us the weekly food shopping she has been doing for us.  We're still cautious about doing our own shopping, but now that we've had our second vaccination getting together will be safer and we'll try to move on as we face the new challenges ahead. 

                                                
Flowers in a wine jug. It was given to us by Stella and brought back to England.  Other tulips in vases are from our son mixed with narcissi and wallflowers from the garden.

Mr P is still suffering from the aftermath of the shingles problem, but slowly we'll start to go out and about again as we did the other weekend when we drove across the city to some ancient woodland where I'd hoped to see bluebells in flower.  As usual Mr P sat in the car while I took some photos.  There are places for cars to park so that I didn't go deeply into the woods and afterwards we drove into the entrance of the Woodland Discovery Centre to see if it was open again.  It was, but there were queues at the open air café.  There was also a van selling drinks and pizzas, but well spaced out in another area.  Hopefully we'll return on a week day when the Centre is less busy or go further afield into the Derbyshire countryside later in the month, depending on the weather.  Meanwhile here are some photos of my woodland walk.






Woodcraft skills lessons take place in normal times.  I'm not sure when this den was made.  The woodland is managed by rangers and much of the woodland is left for nature to take its course whilst still overseeing the areas of woodland, maintaining them and the trails through them. The fallen trees attract wildlife especially insects and bugs.  There are wild flowers that grow well in shady woodland that can be seen and enjoyed.  The rangers have placed banks of leaf litter and small twigs along the paths so that visitors don't wander off the paths where the bluebells grow and damage the plants especially the endangered English bluebells.




I think this is a squirrel's nest called a drey.










At Collier's Pond the rangers are starting to put up a fence to replace the one that was originally there made of woven tree branches.  There will be access with a gate.  It's to prevent dogs swimming in the pond and disturbing the pond life as has happened in recent years.  There are plenty of paths and trails beyond the pond that dog walkers can use.

 

Marsh marigold plants are growing on the edge of the pond 
and soon yellow irises will also be in flower.







The Woodland Discovery Centre




There were many birds flying around The Woodland Discovery Centre area.


There are several workshops that are usually used for woodcraft activities in normal times.  Hopefully, activities will resume in the Summer months.




The café area and the take away food van. 




These woodlands are great areas to take a walk within our city.  Hopefully the other facilities such as the Woodland Discovery Centre will be fully functioning in the coming days.

Thank you once again for your visit.  Have a very peaceful day whatever you're doing.



16 comments:

  1. A wonderful post!
    Stay safe and well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so different from your walks around your home area, which is English Garden beautiful. I love the wild woods look. and they did a fantastic job of making the buildigs fit in their environment. so beautiful and a place I would love. I bet that place is noisy after dark with that many toads and frogs around. I enjoyed your outing and so happy you could have your family over for a visit. Stella pot with your flowers is lovely and so sorry you and your family could not say good bye to her...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about your sister-in-law, it's the news that we have all been dreading, it must be a very sad time for your family, made even more difficult with you not being able to travel. Your bluebell wood visit is just the place for reflection, a beautiful oasis of calm. I hope you can get out more and meet up with your children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear about your sister-in-law, Stella. These have been hard times for many families around the world, as, sadly, your own family knows. And I'm glad to see that you're slowly getting back out for walks as your husband recovers from his shingles. Take care of yourselves as you enjoy the spring sunshine outdoors. Best, -Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can no longer hike wooded paths that aren't rollater friendly. Thanks for taking me on your outing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your kind comments everyone. You're all very welcome here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so fortunate to live close to a woods full of blue bells. I've wanted to see that for so many years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is what I call a decent bit of woodland not like the scrub you get here and pines after pines. I shouldn't complain I suppose as the beach makes up for it! It looks like a delightful place to go and have a picnic! I could walk and walk and walk there. Thanks for sharing this Linda :-)
    That is so sad! I am sorry to read Mr P has lost his sister. That is the real hard part about living out of ones country. I know what it is like for your Mr P. I didn't get home on time for my Dad.
    It is wonderful though that your immediate family can now come and visit you.
    Lockdown has ended here as from last Sunday. Take care Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's good that you were able to contact your family in Italy, even though you were not able to visit them, and to speak with them during such a sad time. Your photos of the woods are wonderful and the Discovery Centre looks a great place for learning about all the different species that can be found there. It is going to be hard to get used to going out and about again but like you and Mr P we are taking tentative steps a little further afield:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Linda, What a beautiful place. Being out in nature can be very healing to the soul. Hopefully this is just the beginning of more adventures further afield as you both gain back your strength and confidence. We are all feeling such gratitude that things are beginning to open up and we can be with extended family and friends again. I am so sorry to hear that Mr. P was unable to be with his sister and family during her illness and beyond. One of the many tragedies of the time. Lord willing, it won't be much longer before he can see his Italian home once again. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos of a beautiful place, I would love a wander around there. It's a little difficult to adapt to the sudden easing of restrictions for sure. I feel for you not being able to attend the funeral, such strange times. Lovely to hear you had family around how we've all missed that. Here's to Mr P feeling better by the day.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Linda, I am so very sorry to hear about Mr P's sister. How very sad for you all, quite heartbreaking, especially not being able to travel. Seeing your son and daughter must have been a great comfort. We have started going out a bit more now that we have had both our vaccinations, but we are still cautious and follow all precautions. It is still going to be a while to feel comfortable in feel that the world is getting back to normal. I am hoping that we are seeing a tiny glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. I did so enjoy your photographs, thought the wine jug was super. Must have been wonderful to walk in the woods and see those bluebells, and all the other sights you saw. Do hope you will both feel better soon, and Mr. P. with his shingles. I wish you only the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely woodland walk. You have so many gorgeous places to walk.
    I am so very sorry to hear about Stella passing. Please give Mr. P my condolences and to you too. What a lovely gift of the jug she gave you and you can remember her when using.
    Sorry Mr. P had some difficulties with shingles. My doctor keeps telling me to get the vaccination, which I have on my agenda to do soon. Sending you and Mr. P hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry about your sister in law. I am still a little nervous about going into stores . We are still masking up when we do, even though some places are not requiring that. The Woodland is a wonderful place. There is something magical about natural places within or close to the city. They are so badly needed. Yours is one of the most beautiful I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry to hear about your Sister in Law. That's horrible. I hope your husband is doing ok.
    The woodland walk really was lovely to see- thank you so much for sharing your photos. I do think woodlands always make the town/village/place where they are, a lovely place, a place that is really a joy to live in.
    I hope Mr P's shingles are better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie. We're blessed to have green spaces in urban areas. Woodland trails and information centres help us learn more about our natural habitats. :)

      Delete

Thank you for your comment which is appreciated.
Moderation is on and Spam will be deleted.