A rich tapestry

March 23, 2021

Another Neighbourhood Walk

I try to get out for a walk as much as possible.  Last week had been cold and cloudy, but yesterday the sun was shining and there were blue skies so off I went taking the road up the hill to the Common and then onwards to the recreation ground and churchyard.  I wanted to see if the narcissi that had been planted some years ago by the Rangers that look after the Common were in bloom and also spend some time in the parish church grounds where I expected to see more Spring flowers. Here are some of the photos I took as I strolled along.





The narcissi were not in bloom, but clumps of miniature daffodils were.  There was a nice quiet place to sit for a while after my walk up the hill. There are views of the hills across the valley and at the back of me where I sat were the birch and oak woods of the Common.






After walking to the recreation ground that also belongs to the church I had another sit down.  There were a few dog walkers and across the grass I could see one of the volunteers who looks after the churchyard doing some tidying around the burial sites that surround the grassy recreation area.  Most of the graves are from the Victorian era in that part of the area.


This beautiful blossom was in the grounds of the almshouses.  I could photograph it because the tree had been planted near the surrounding stone wall and branches were hanging over it.








The daffodils and primulas were a joy to behold and there were a few snowdrops still blooming too as they are in our garden.



On the way home I noticed that the avenues of ornamental cherry trees that grow along our neighbourhood roads are just beginning to show their pink buds.   

Yesterday morning Mr P and I did some tidying up in the garden. Mr P turned over the soil in the raised bed and planted some pansies there and in a pot which I placed on the front doorstep. Our local daughter got them from the supermarket and brought them to us with our shopping that she does for us.  We're so thankful for the support we get from the NHS, other key workers, family, phone calls and practical gifts to keep us occupied that come in the post.  Also thankful that we're keeping well and reasonably mobile.  It has been a long haul as apart from going out for exercise and a couple of days further afield when it was allowed in the Summer we've been staying in our local area since January 2020 when Mr P had his hip replacement and time of recovery.  We're also thankful for the vaccination to protect us from the virus and look forward to our second one at the end of April.  We remember all those who have had a much harder time than we have had and continue to think of family and friends abroad.

Take care dear blog friends.  Thank you for your visit.

18 comments:

  1. Every single photo is absolutely stunning! I love the Shadows I love the flowers I love the building's I love the path I love those white flowers that were hanging over the fence. Everything is just gorgeous and what a beautiful day it was to walk. I do hope things will get better for you soon and that you will be able to see your family and do some of the things that you always did and that somehow it will get better enough that you can go to your home in Italy and take care of it or see that it's taken care of. If I had the sites you have to walk pass I would not mind walking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra. Walks in the fresh air do me good and it's always a pleasure to see what's new happening in our neighbourhood.

      Delete
  2. There is a lovely spring light in your photos, Linda, and many beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The light of Springtime is very special and it's good that the daylight hours are gradually getting longer too.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful walk and sky and flowers! I love the photo with the pigeon/dove in the (willow?!) tree!! And of course partial to Cherry blossoms, light up to see them budding and blossoming there!! Best wishes and happy Springtime to you and Mr P and your family!! ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the bird in the willow tree is a young pigeon or it could be a dove.
      There's a lot of bird activity going on. The fresh greenery of the willow was also a lovely sight. Happy Springtime to you too Shayndel.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful walk and beautiful photos! Happy Spring to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful day for a walk with plenty of colour to enjoy along the way. Good job the narcissi weren't flowering as you'll be able to go back and check again later. It has been a long haul. I'm really looking forward to visiting a café or a National Trust venue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to get out for a walk when I can and now that the weather is improving there's more of an incentive to do that. It seems such a long time since we did anything so simple as sitting out at a café venue or visiting a NT garden.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful walk. I loved the shadows of the trees and those grave stones at odd angles. Wonderful that you are both being supported by everyone. Here's to you getting your second jab.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dina. The second vaccination will be another step forward towards protection from this horrible virus. I hope you and your family are keeping well.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing your walk and these beautiful photos. Brings back lovely memories of walks with my Dad. Isn't it wonderful to see everything is waking up and bringing forth all those lovely flowers. It is so good to see it all dotted with colour.I used to enjoy walking through the cemetery to read the epithets on the old gravestones. Many is the time I've taken a snack with me and a bottle of pop to sit on a bench there and just while away time! Those were the days :-) Keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you enjoyed the walk Amanda and it brought back good memories of times when you were young. I've happy memories of walks in the Berkshire countryside. Often we would take a picnic. As we didn't have a car we would hop on a bus to get there sometimes with aunts, uncles and cousins. I like wandering around an old churchyard. They are full of history and information on the old headstones. Our local church ground is a peaceful place. The Spring flowers were a delight to see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful walk such beauty on your doorstep. The Spring flowers are lovely and the skies so blue. It's good that you were able to sit a while to rest and take everything in before you returned home:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's another sunny day today although the morning started out with some rain showers. A little rain is good for those Spring flowers. I'm thankful for those wooden benches around our neighbourhood placed in quiet places where walkers can rest and take in the pleasant surroundings. :)

      Delete
  10. Your early Spring is so similar to ours in the flowers and weather, but I kind of already knew that! Your pictures are lovely, what a great place to walk. We are both also between doses for the vaccine and await the second. So grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have some pleasant places in our neighbourhood where we can take a walk. We don't have to go far to get to them although they're further up the hill from where we live! I hope your second vaccination goes well for both of you. It's another step forward to protection. :)

      Delete

Thank you for your comment which is appreciated.
Moderation is on and Spam will be deleted.