A walk in the local park to the library to collect the books that I've ordered on line has been a lifeline this year especially during the continuing restrictions and difficulty of going further afield. Although it's a familiar walk there's always something new to see as the season changes from Autumn to Winter.
The dahlias were a treat to see in recent months, but I was also surprised to see the pussy willow bush in bud as it's usually out in the Springtime.
The banana plant had been taken out of its pot and no doubt wrapped up and stored away for the Winter.
When the restrictions were eased before the second wave lockdown it was possible for two or three friends to sit together in the rose garden so long as they were maintaining the social distance guidance rule. However, it was disappointing that our library group meeting in the walled garden for September had to be cancelled because there are more than six members in our group. Now a zoom meeting has been arranged by the librarian who leads the meetings for this month instead. I was pleased to learn from an email that books that I had reserved online before the first lockdown in March have now been released and as I've got to the top of the queue for some I've been able to collect some newer publications instead of the random five books that the librarian chooses from the quarantined stock.
A walk in the woodland garden, which is just beyond the walled garden and always open to the public,
revealed more interesting changes. In the stumpery and by the pond there were more woodland plants and a new planting of a pink cyclamen.
The ornamental heron that usually sits in the walled garden had been placed by the pond.
Do you remember the artwork that the children from the local primary school had displayed last year?
This year more colourful artwork has been attached to the woodland garden fence. I like the creativity of the patterns and I'm pleased to know that the children often visit the woodland garden and use the park resource for exercise and learning.
Recently I've been reading some of my own collection of books set in Venice such as
The Venetian Game written by Philip Gwynne Jones - the plot centres around a mysterious package left at the British Consulate. Inside is an antique prayer book illustrated by a Venetian Art Master. Is it genuine or a fake?
At the moment I'm engrossed in Donna Leon's recent publication on loan from the library. I like the fact that Trace Elements appears to be up-to-date with what is going on in Venice and reflects the politics and thought-provoking areas of criminal activity in the city as well as the development of the relationship between Commissario Brunetti, the police officers, the secretary in the Questura, his associates in the city and also, more importantly, his own family. When you already know the characters of a series I find that there are familiar aspects as well as a new plot and for me that makes a novel more enjoyable. The print is quite large so easier for me to read without getting eye strain.
As always, thank you for your visit. Have a good day!

Yay for the books you actually ordered! Mind you what a job choosing random books for readers, I imagine that could be mildly stressful!
ReplyDeleteHappy reading!
Wren x
We're asked to help the librarian choose the books by stating a genre or authors. Even so it's always quite exciting to see what's in the bag of five books and sometimes different authors from what's usually read has been included. 😊 Thank you Wren for leaving a comment.
DeleteI'd quite like having some books chosen for me I think, you would get to read authors that you might not otherwise have gone for. I used to love going to our book club but it had to finish due to low attendance, it was always exciting to find out what that months book was going to be.
ReplyDeleteYour walk to the library look a very nice one, even in Winter I think there are interesting things to see.
I miss our monthly meetings at the library. Everyone had something interesting to say about what had been read as well as being a social occasion. I like to support our libraries and the services on offer so that they continue into the future.
DeleteI'm enjoying larger print these days, too. How very nice that you can take a walk about and get fresh air and see new details. That's amazing to see those Dahlias still blooming. Glad you have a good series of books to enjoy.
ReplyDeleteIt's so much easier to read large print. I'm a slow reader. I like short chapters too. The dahlias in the walled garden are over now, but there was a beautiful display of mixed varieties a few weeks ago.
ReplyDeleteIsn't it wonderful how each season brings new sights to the same walk? Our book club has been meeting on zoom since May, although we are taking a break over the holidays. I have been doing most of my reading this year with ebooks. It's convenient for these times but I still prefer holding a real book in my hands.
ReplyDeleteI like the familiar routine of my walk in the park. Collecting library books from the librarian who knows me well is a point of contact with the outside world even though a mask has to be worn and social distance maintained. There's the bonus of getting out in the fresh air and enjoying the seasonal changes in the park and garden areas. I haven't got a tablet for e books or use Zoom. I prefer the physical aspect of real books and people and look forward to the day when life is a little more normal. Thank you for coming by and leaving a comment Gloria.
DeleteFantastic! Just the job to get those books you ordered to keep you entertained during this cold spell. The gardens look lovely even at this time of year although it wouldn't be brilliant to sit outside for too long.
ReplyDeleteIt's definitely a time to stay indoors and just potter. According to the weather forecast there will be more cold weather. I'm thankful to have those books to keep me entertained in between the usual household activities.
DeleteI have enjoyed getting my books chosen for me, it has given e an insight into other genres that I thought I wouldn't enjoy and have. Loved walking through the park with you the seasonal changes are a joy. There is always something different to look at and admire.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you enjoyed the walk in the park. It's nice to have company and to keep in touch through our blogging. 😊
DeleteHi Linda, I love the pictures! The flowers are so gorgeous. The squirrel adorable. I like to see the books too.
ReplyDeleteSandra xXx
It's good to see wildlife when out walking. Did you notice the robin? It had such a sweet song and I was happy that I got a photo as it perched on a branch of a tree growing in the walled garden.
DeleteI love the boat full of plants and its color.. glad you can do the zoom meetings, but I know you would prefer the face to face, even when social distancing.. there is nothing on this planet that has not been effected by this pandemic. bob and I gave up going to the pool and we are really missing that. things are reving up here, escalating daily, 3000 a day dying from the virus and climbing higher each day and still our politics rages on and causes more deaths
ReplyDeleteThe boat had been newly planted up with nasturtiums. There are very few members of staff, but they keep the park and garden areas well maintained and add new plants from time-to-time. We're living in turbulent days and I appreciate doing familiar activities to keep me focused on positive aspects of my life. I'm sorry you and Bob are not going to the pool. Take care and keep well.
ReplyDeleteYou have such a lovely walk to collect your books from the library. I must look for the Donna Leon book as I always enjoyed her Brunetti novels. I haven't ventured to our library yet and am still borrowing e-books from them insead. I think if I had as lovely a walk to get there as yours I would venture their way:)
ReplyDeleteWe're fortunate to have the library in a beautiful, historic building set in parkland. I was pleased to get the latest Donna Leon book. The author obviously knows Venice well. I enjoy the descriptions of the routes Commissario Brunetti takes either on foot, on the canals or out to other islands in the Venetian lagoon. She creates an authentic sense of place and the plot touches on contemporary issues. (The subject in Trace Elements is about water pollution).
DeleteI'm still waiting on some books I reserved before the first lockdown in March becoming available, in fact, I'm not sure what's happening but I got nearly to the front of the queue for them and then I've been put back again. I think I shall have to ring up and find out what's happening. The gardens are lovely, it's a shame you're unable to hold your meetings there as there are more than six of you but it's a nice place to be able to wander round and observe the changing seasons.
ReplyDeleteThat's a shame about you being put to the back of the queue with your book reservation after waiting so long. I hope a phone call sorts things and your library finds copies for you. Yes, it's a shame that our reading group can't meet in the walled garden and have moved to zoom instead which is not the same. I'm looking forward to the time when we can get back to socialising again although I'm sure it won't be for many months well into the new year. Meanwhile, at least the library loan service is available and the walled garden is often open. :)
DeleteSuper post Linda! You have covered a lot for me to enjoy in this one, as you always do :) Thank you my friend and enjoy your week ahead.
ReplyDeleteThank you Denise. I'm so glad you found this blog post interesting. Wishing you all the best in the days ahead.
DeleteFlowers and birds and I'm in heaven. Lovely post
ReplyDeleteThank you Carol. I'm glad you enjoyed this blog post. :)
DeleteWhat a wonderful walk my dear! Indeed you have a milder climate in Britain. Since weeks my dahlias are inside the house and not blooming at all. You know: Continental means frosty winter :). You are tavelling to Venice by reading. How lovely! Lockdown means reading for me too. Isn't it one of the most enjoyable ways to waste time? Usually I'm reading new releases and therefore there were tonns of older books waiting for me such as Lost Horizon by James Hilton. So I'm somewhere in Tibet right now. That's wonderful.
ReplyDeleteAll my best and thank you so much for your lovely words
Elisabeth
The old walls in the walled garden create a microclimate so that blooms such as dahlias do well there and last longer. It has been wet and misty lately with little frost. We get snow and ice in this city of hills, but usually in January, February and March. It's better to stay indoors and be transported to other places, preferably warmer ones, as we read our novels. Thank you for coming by and leaving a kind comment Elisabeth.
ReplyDeleteI always love your walks. Wow! So many flowers for this time of year.
ReplyDeleteI must start using the library and ordering books that way too. I am always not sure if I get a book I will finish it before it is due back. Sending best wishes your way!
Thank you Marilyn for your good wishes. I'm pleased that you enjoyed the walk in the park, woodland and walled garden.
DeleteI can’t imagine a more wonderful place for a library than surrounded by this beautiful walled garden! Familiar walks have been a lifeline for me as well this year . Reading is a also a daily activity practically as vital and ordinary to me as eating and sleeping in all times, but especially now. However, we do almost all of it on our Kindles since it is so much easier when we travel. (I check most of them out from the Library electronically). In normal times I still like to hang out at our library when we’re home, to browse, read magazines, and go to some ig the excellent programs they have. But not this year.
ReplyDeleteI can understand that a kindle was and is a good option when traveling. When I was out and about more often going to medical appointments where I would have to sit and wait I would take a book with me to pass the time. I'm so glad that even though I don't want to get eye strain with too much reading and close work I can still relax for short periods of time with a good book.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful setting for a library! I loved all the blooms and the kids artwork. How cute is that squirrel! Thank goodness for zoom, what would we do without it, I hadn't even heard of it before this plague. I hope you get a vaccine soon and get your life back. It will probably be Easter before we get it.xxx
ReplyDeleteI was pleased to see a new set of artwork done by the primary school children whose school is situated on the road by the park. They have only got a concrete playground so going into the park for exercise and sessions in the woodland garden is important for them. I have WhatsApp which is similar to Zoom. It has been so useful this year so that we can easily keep in touch with neighbours, friends and family. We hope we shall be able to get the vaccine when our turn comes. It's important that those on the medical front line are given it asap. xxL
DeleteIsn't it lovely to have a pretty place to frequent so that you can observe how it changes with the seasons? Although it's a bit disorientating to see the pussy willow in bud so early. Keep well, you and Mr P. x
ReplyDeleteIt was strange to see the pussy willow with fluffy buds. I expect it's the combination of the relatively mild weather we've been experiencing and the shelter of the high walls. The park and walled garden are welcome community assets for everyone in our area of the city.
DeleteWonderful gardens! The squirrel looks as if he has been caught in the act! Fabulous photograph though! So many lovely walks. Thank you for sharing. My taste in reading leads more to sci-fi,historical,treasure or fantasy. I transport to the world of Elita every evening for my bedtime reading :-) keep well Amanda x
ReplyDeleteIt's good to see the wildlife in the park. The squirrels were scurrying in the leaves and the first photo captures one in full flight. The second in the walled garden came right up to me as they often do. When they do that I get nervous as they stare up
ReplyDeleteat me and they're very bold. Enjoy your reading. I've just started a crime novel set in Spain which I'm finding interesting. xxL
The Venetian game looks good! I think I'd like that.
ReplyDeleteThe park looks a real wonderful place to walk- I am not surprised it has beeen a life-line to you. That squirrel reaching out a paw towards you is a sweetie! Nice to see the friendly Robin in the tree too. We've enjoyed our avian garden visitors and heard many cuckoos during our Spring lockdown walks- I do love the birds!