A rich tapestry

November 27, 2020

Recent days


This was the scene from our bedroom window earlier this morning.  It was still dark except for the street light in the lane reflecting onto the trunk of a lime tree and the glowing yellowy/red of the rising sun in the sky. 
 

The neighbourhood trees have now lost their leaves, but there's plenty of colour still in the garden.
 

It was time for some more baking and last week it was another chocolate cake and a small meat and potato pie for an evening meal.  As usual half of the cake gets given to our local daughter when she calls during the weekend with the shopping.  However, I've decided to do some online shopping now and again for the times when she or our granddaughter cannot come by with some shopping. 


The tomato plants have been cleared from the covered yard although there are still a few tomatoes still ripening indoors in the kitchen.  It's amazing to still have a few fresh tomatoes for cooking.  The citrus trees and pot plants have been brought indoors and Mr P continues to grow some onions and other vegetables. 


I've managed to get out for regular walks mainly in the local park and we've driven over to the next village of Bradfield, stopped and I did some walking in the lower area by Agden Brook.  I'll share some of my walking experiences next time. 


Finally, a touch of festive cheer was added to the front living room when our granddaughter came by and brought us a small Christmas tree which was then placed in the front window.  We don't put out the decorations until nearer to Christmas, but we appreciated the thoughtful gift.  I shall be thinking about making an Advent wreath and on Sunday I shall get out the Advent calendar that I recycle and use every year.
It's a while since I posted a blog, but I've been looking at yours when I can and always appreciate the comments you leave.  For those who had Thanksgiving I hope you had a good day.  Regards and all the best to everyone wherever you are as we journey into December.

17 comments:

  1. Good morning Linda! Wonderful view from your bedroom! The cake and pie are delicious. Could you share the recipe with me? the plants and the Christmas ornament are gorgeou!

    Sandra xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sandra. Thanks for coming by. I follow a recipe for a Victoria sponge mix and add good quality cocoa powder. You could find a recipe on line. I make pastry and use top and bottom layers rolled out. The filling is a basic one with lots of carrot and potato cooked beforehand with ground minced beef, seasoning, herbs. Hope you can find the flour to make the pastry. We have had shortages of supply so I only make pastry and cake now and again.

      Delete
  2. That little tree is my kind of tree! I love them small and decorate it and all I have to do is put them in a bag and set them up in the closet and then bring them out the next year. It's really cute! I can't believe you're still eating veggies and if you have all those beautiful flowers this time of year. Sunrise is my favorite time of the day. Good to see you pop up again. Things are really crazy here in the USA but then that's no news it's been that way for a long time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're in lockdown here and the restrictions will continue. It's hard on everyone, but necessary. We continue to spend most of our time at home. I like to get up early. A sunrise is a good start to a new day.

      Delete
  3. Love the cute gift you got from your granddaughter!
    Nice to hear that you have a good time walking regularly: me too. I go walking daily with great pleasure in the woodlands around our home.
    Wishing you a nice First Advent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have some beautiful countryside where you go walking. A woodland is my favourite place to walk. May you have a meaningful Advent Luisella.

      Delete
  4. One of the things I love to see is the sunrise in the morning and like you look at it from the bedroom window. The meat & Potato pie looks good. I'd love to have go at making one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting up early and seeing a sunrise is uplifting and a good start to the day. Today it's misty and grey, but you can't tell what will happen with the weather in the UK. It might turn out sunny later on today. Have a good weekend Bill.

      Delete
  5. Lovely to see all the pretty flowers from your garden and the tasty delights from your kitchen. The year is going by and the Spring isn't that far away and then hopefully you'll be able to get out to the shops again. I can't believe it that we bought a Christmas tree from Lidls yesterday! So early! Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make a difference to have some Autumn colour in the garden. The roses will continue to bloom and then the bushes will be pruned. I think we're all looking forward to the Spring. Enjoy decorating your Christmas tree and have a good weekend!

      Delete
  6. I can't believe you've still got tomatoes ripening, and your tomato season tends to start much sooner than mine does too. It wasn't a very good tomato year for me but I did better than expected in the end. It's lovely to see some colour still around, especially as the trees are now just about bare as we head into winter. I can't say it's my favourite time of year weather wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We kept the tomatoes on the vines in their pots in the covered yard as long as possible. Now they've been gathered, put into a covered basket in the kitchen with some banana skins placed on top. The idea is that the skins release ethylene which helps to speed up the ripening process. The weather is challenging when it's wet and damp, but there's still beauty all around in the garden and countryside.

      Delete
  7. How lovely to still have beautiful flowers and food growing at this time of year, and how lovely is that sky from your bedroom window! I'm glad to know that I am not the only person who reuses the same Advent calendar every year, my children think I'm crazy and they can't see the point of an Advent calendar which doesn't contain chocolate. Advent blessings to you and your family. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mrs Tiggywinkle for your kind comments. I've lit the first candle on my Advent wreath which is placed on the dining room table. I like my Advent calendar because there are Bible scriptures to read each day and it's a meaningful way to prepare for Christmas. Every blessing, Linda. x

      Delete
  8. That meat and potato pie looks amazing. I think many folk are happy that the Advent season is upon us. May God draw us nearer to Him in this season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr P and I both enjoy cooking. I like to decorate the bakes I make and then share the results with others. It's relaxing and satisfying. Thank you Ellen. May you have a blessed Advent season.

      Delete
  9. I love your covered courtyard.
    Your cake and meat pie both looked just delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which is appreciated.
Moderation is on and Spam will be deleted.