When we went to High Bradfield it was the hottest day of July and now it has got even hotter. In fact on that day there was a strong breeze so it was an agreeable walk around the village, mainly in the grounds of the church. (High Bradfield is often referred to on local weather forecasts during times of gale force winds).
The churchyard has several terraced areas. Nearby are fields where sheep were grazing and there's a farm and farm buildings at the top of the hill behind the church. It was pleasant wandering in the shade of the trees. Some locals were mending the fence just beyond the iron railing one, but mostly there are stone walls around the grounds of the churchyard.
From the hill we could see some of the village. The big hill in the distance is believed to be a Saxon mound.
We often sit in the garden of the pub, but we're not tempted at the moment.
Instead Mr P sat on a bench and I had a stroll around the church building which, of course, was closed.
a design of what look like three poppy seed heads
are on this downpipe
foxgloves and harebells
The watchhouse, which I've written about before. The watchman kept an eye out for body snatchers.
This path leads down to Lower Bradfield. Known as Kirkgate Steps or the Fairy Steps it was used to carry coffins up to the burial ground from the lower village and surrounding area as the lane to Lower Bradfield is winding and very steep. (It was a challenging hill for bikers when the Yorkshire Tour de France passed through in 2014).
lesser burdock
The village stocks have a new use as a planter.
honeysuckle and ferns
A water trough - a farm is located in the lane - and stone stile.
I didn't climb the stile, but if I had I could have walked along a grassy public right-of-way.
The farm opposite taken at a different time.
Back to Damflask Reservoir the water is so low that there's now a shoreline. People were sitting there or paddling in the shallows. There are warnings about swimming there as it must be very deep in the middle although rowing and sailing are sports activities that are allowed.
Ragwort - there's a lot of it about in the countryside although it's poisonous to livestock and, therefore, not good to see in a paddock or field where animals are grazing.
Many flower heads are now going to seed - a reminder that Autumn is not far away.
I hope that you're having a good weekend. Extreme weather is not my cup of tea, but we have shade from the fig tree in the garden so it's pleasant sitting out there, which is what I'm about to do now with a lunch al fresco.
Looks like a really wonderful walk with lots of lovely sights to see. :)
ReplyDeleteIt was an enjoyable walk especially as due to travel restrictions we weren't able go to the village until recently even though it's a short drive away. It was a thrill to see the harebells.
DeleteIf I had all these gorgeous things to photograph when I went on a walk from my house I would be out there walking a whole lot more mine is kind of boring. You've seen the kind of things I see nothing but house after house after house after house and I have to pick either a tree or a door because they all look the same the houses I mean. These are all really beautiful photos of what you see on your walk.
ReplyDeleteSeeing homes, yards and plants in other countries is an aspect of blogging that I enjoy and your neighbourhood is interesting not at all boring.
DeleteThanks for sharing. The old stone churches in Britain are so lovely - always.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your time al fresco!
It's a shame that our churches are closed at the moment except for private prayer, which is a start towards the new normal at least. We're thankful that we can get out in the fresh air. Thank you Luisella.
DeleteAlthough it was hot for your lovely walk, somehow your photos conveyed all the fresh air at the top of the hill, it must be those stone buildings and the stones in the churchyard giving a cooling effect. It also reminds me of a walk we did at St Martha's Hill which also had great views over the countryside.
ReplyDeleteThere was quite a breeze as you can see from the flags flying. It was a good place to be especially on a hot day.
DeleteYour photos are wonderful. Upper Bradfield looks a lovely village with it's stone buildings and a church with beautiful views, how tranquil it all looks in the bright sunshine. I hope you are having a good weekend in the shade of your fig tree in the garden:)
ReplyDeleteWe're thankful for the shady fig tree in the garden and keep looking up to see how the figs are doing and if they are ripening. The garden is a good place to be. As the crow flies we are on the same height level as High Bradfield so we usually take the high road to the village. Both High and Low Bradfield draw us for the ambience, the views and the historical interest. We're blessed to live where we do.
DeleteAbsolutely beautiful! That photo with the door of the church is so lovely! Incredible place!!
ReplyDeleteThe interior of St Nicholas' Church is also interesting. A Saxon cross that was found in the area is one of the features placed by the wall in the nave.
DeleteGorgeous place to walk, natural beauty, fine artistry and craftsmanship (those stone walls and the buildings!) and of course the history. I loved this virtual walk ...you are a great guide. Thank you. Oh, and gosh it was a lot of hard work to be a pallbearer back then ...imagine toting a coffin up that winding hill road.
ReplyDeleteI like the fact that the villagers of High and Low Bradfield look after their village so well which creates a good atmosphere. There are information boards placed here and there. The location and the buildings and other old features give us a glimpse into the world of past times.
DeleteSuch a lovely place for a walk. I love looking around churchyards, I find them fascinating and they can tell you such a lot about a place.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad we've been able to get back to this favourite village. As well as the wonderful views the churchyard is really interesting as you look at the old memorials. I like the countryside atmosphere there.
DeleteJust come across your lovely blog. I’ve enjoyed your meander through a very pretty village. I can feel the heat just from the photos. B x
ReplyDeleteLovely to see you here. Thank you for stopping by and for your comment that you've enjoyed the visit. Best wishes.
DeleteIt looks like and idyllic spot. Sometimes I spend so much time looking around inside churches that I forget that there are gems to be seen outside, too. I'm glad to see that you have kept safe over these months. x
ReplyDeleteLove walking in churchyards. What a lovely place for Mr. P to sit and you to explore. I hadn't thought about body snatchers, but makes sense.
ReplyDeleteThis watchman's house in the church grounds is unusual and a rare example of such a building. It's now a private dwelling, but it's interesting to be aware of the former use. Finding clues to past times adds to the fascination of studying old places.
Delete