We left our gardening today and went across the city to collect a wine kit grape juice we had ordered and then we had a detour so that I could have a walk in Ecclesall Woods. There was a queue outside the shop but after explaining that I had come to collect this item those waiting were happy for me to go before them. Soon (from 24th July) it'll be mandatory in England to wear a face covering for shopping. I've rarely had to do any shopping although recently I've already got used to wearing a face covering since I've got several cloth ones and used a surgical one at the hospital. I quite enjoyed having a social distance friendly conversation with the two people who were waiting in the queue. Mr P had parked around the corner and stayed in the car as usual. It was also a change to look in shop windows in this quiet road where there are individually owned boutique-type premises.
the flower shop
A dress shop and a beauticians - sorry about the reflections, but you can also see the shops and houses opposite. All these small businesses look as if they're getting ready to welcome customers again. It must be particularly hard for a small business. The national branded shops are also bracing themselves for a hard time economically.
On our drive out I noticed that a sign writer was working on a new name for a local corner shop. There has been a lot of activity and changes to what is being sold there. It's a typical corner store where it's convenient to just pop along to get your bread or milk, newspaper and all sorts of small items for daily living. From what I can see from the makeover it might have become a greengrocers. I shall have to investigate sometime although it's not really an area where I walk these days.
There were some pretty gardens in the high street where we went to get the wine kit. Across the road
is the primary school for the area with it's distinctive small clock tower on the roof.
The walking trails in Ecclesall Woods are not far away.
This time of the year the ferns are growing high whilst the ground is covered in different kinds of vegetation, brambles and fallen tree branches and tree trunks that are deliberately left to give shelter to all sorts of wildlife.
I wonder who lives in this hole in an oak tree?
I walked to Collier's Pond. There was a lot of green weed on the surface of the water which I'm sure will get sorted out in due course. The fencing that's made by weaving branches along the upright posts need attention in places. The dappled light in the woods and on the water made the place seem magical.
I didn't stay long, but it was just long enough to appreciate these quiet, ancient woods that have been preserved in our city for all to enjoy. There's easy parking along the wide road, plenty of entrance points and the Woodland Discovery Centre close by.
Thank you for visiting. Now back to some more gardening which I'll share about another time.
I loved that zebra and giraffe . Nice blog post
ReplyDeleteThank you Shilpa. I thought the zebra was different as well as the other quirky items on display. It certainly attracted my attention. :)
DeleteIt all looks refreshingly green and cool in the dappled sunlight especially the pond, a lovely walk to enjoy to get away from it all. The shop windows look bright and colourful, they've either been empty or static here over lockdown so it's nice to see the shops come back to life again. I expect we'll get used to the face coverings eventually but I hope people make sure they take them off, store them carefully and wash their hands sensibly and don't throw them all over the countryside.
ReplyDeleteA walk in the woods did me good. We missed bluebell time in Ecclesall Woods this year. It was good to return and see the pond again and walk under the green canopy of trees. My home made face covering and the one I ordered on line are useful. One is versatile as it's a brand that cyclists use. It can be worn as a neck piece and then pulled up over the face. The pattern all over it is of green trees in different shades and, of course, it can be washed thoroughly after use. I'm rather fanatical about all the washing of hands, door handles, keys and any items bought that come into the house.
DeleteI think recent events have brought us to appreciate any little outings we have, even to nearby shops. Being able to pass the time of day whilst queuing or a short walk somewhere beautiful certainly lifts my day. Things we may once have taken for granted now mean so much more than they did. I do enjoy browsing in independent shops and I think they're going to need all the help we can give them now.
ReplyDeleteWe're appreciating all those small things that were once part of our routine now that we feel able to go out and about. I'm still cautious though. Small businesses that sell plants get my support. Thinking of you and your family Jo.
DeleteHow lovely it looks in the woods and down by the pond, such a nice walk to take after your litle shopping trip. I hope all the smaller shops will get through these hard times, they certainly seem more inviting than the larger shops. Having said that I went into a Waitrose earlier in the week, the first time in any shop since lockdown, I wore a mask and some lightweight disposable gloves and felt perfectly safe, it was very quiet and everyone was respectful of each other's space. It was good to be somewhere different. Have a good weekend:)
ReplyDeleteIt's a whole new world out there. I still avoid places I know will be busy. The small shops seem to have the right idea with one in one out, perspex between the shop keeper and the customer, hand sanitiser etc. I carry my own sanitizer, wipes, face covering in my bag and have done so for a while now. I wish that the face covering had been in place as a rule when people were told that they had to do so on public transport. It's confusing to get mixed messages from the government in England. I'm glad that you had a good experience when out shopping. A change of scene is good for our wellbeing.
DeleteWe are having the same problems here with small businesses going out of business and closing their doors. Ours is really bad because we live in a tourist state. I like the shops that you showed to us and I even like the reflections. Glad you got out of the house and at least got to talk to to mask people I wish they would mandate that everybody had to wear a mask if they went out here. Some states are some or not our Florida Governor will not do it and the Georgia Governor will not do it. In Florida is the hottest spot and the world right now temperature wise and virus. The good news is the stores that I shop in Publix and Walmart and Target and a few other stores have mandated you can't come in their store to shop and less you put on a mask they're doing it to protect the people who work there
ReplyDeleteIt's a dilemma for those who live in tourist hotspots as they see places filled with day trippers but at the same time need people to spend money to boost the local economy, even more so at the moment. When the rule comes in that you must wear a face covering when in a shop I expect people will not be allowed inside. It must be complicated in the US because of the different policy for each State.
ReplyDeleteIt is a pretty town and I enjoyed window browsing with you :) I liked the reflections as they added another depth to your photos. My heart goes out to these business in such a difficult time. The corner sweetshop, I remember those well. I wonder what this one will become. A lot of memories there. I have always loved that kind of stonework and the gardens are very pretty. You took us on a beautiful walk today Linda, could almost imagine the fairies following you in this magical place. Thank you :)
ReplyDeleteWe like going to that area of the city especially that particular road where there are the individual small shops and then we often drive the scenic way home where there are parks and woods. We're blessed to have many green spaces and the countryside on our doorstep despite being a city. We still have the old fashioned corner shops around here that you'll remember well. They have changed over the years, but they still provide a service as an alternative to the supermarket for every day items. I'll share more if I find out what has changed at this particular corner shop. I think more fruit and veg will be sold there. I might get my granddaughter to investigate.
DeleteIt is nice to be out and about again isn't it? Here in Thailand we have worn masks all the time in public places since March - they say it has been one of the factors that have made all the difference and not shaking hands. I have enjoyed my wander with you today!
ReplyDeleteWren x
Thank you for your visit and for leaving a comment that you enjoyed this blog post. All the best Little Wandering Wren and also to everyone in your country.
DeleteIt's always a good day when you get out and walk!
ReplyDeleteYes indeed Ellen.
DeleteBeautiful views of the woodland and ferns and green...
ReplyDeleteI think you enjoyed your walk quite much!
Have a blessed Sunday, Linda.
It was a wonderful walk and lovely to be able to return there. Thank you. Blessings to you too. Happy Sunday and week ahead!
DeleteWhat nice walks Linda...a little city, a little country, all beautifully photo-worthy. I’m learning to chat at social distance while masked (like in line at a store) ... at first, it seemed like too much work . Our Covid count (in our city and county) has gone up again, so I might as well get used to the mask. It is going to be a fact of life for quite a while . ....
ReplyDeleteThe high street in each of our city areas still retains a village feel with its own set of small businesses and we're blessed to have the green spaces and woodlands as well. I'm sorry to hear that your city and county have high numbers of Covid infections. Here the government has put in place localised lockdowns in order to retain the spread of the virus. We continue to be vigilant in our own daily living for the sake of ourselves and others.
DeleteI'm glad you had a trip out and hope you make lots of delicious wine! Love the pictures of the shops and gardens, I'm forever checking out gardens in my neighbourhood. It is lovely having a normal conversation with people isn't it?xxx
ReplyDeleteThe wine has been bubbling away Dina! Another one of Mr P's hobbies! Yes, a chat when waiting in a queue helps us to feel normal and a specialist hobby shop converation provides the chance for an interesting conversation! xxL
Delete