It was the perfect Spring day yesterday; sunshine, warmth, blue skies. Even in an ordinary and seemingly unexciting place such as the car park of a local supermarket the butterflies were flitting around the blossoming shrubs. Back home, looking out of the window I saw a butterfly feasting on the nectar of the plum blossom and with camera in hand quickly went out to get a closer look. By then the butterfly was resting on the cypress hedge.
Indoors I was thrilled to see that the fritillary (fritillaria meleagris) bulbs planted in the Autumn of last year had buds and then flowers. They're fascinating to look at close up. There are also five tulips (Blue Parrot) in the pot that I'm looking forward to seeing in flower in due course.
Taking a look around the garden I was amazed to see this rose in bloom. Apparently it was one that had been in the covered yard over the Winter months and Mr P had transferred it to a spot by the garage wall and behind a garden seat to give it some shelter. I'm always getting surprises like that when the plants that he's been nurturing inside are transplanted in the garden or he picks some flowers and puts them in a vase on the kitchen window sill for me to enjoy.
narcissi (Paper white) and (Orangery)
The miniature daffodils are still blooming, the blue, white and yellow polyanthus still looks fresh and the tomato plants are growing with lots more in individual pots on indoor window sills.
The wallflowers are doing well and the last of the daffodils have survived the windy weather.
The rosemary flowers, hopefully, will attract the butterflies and any bees that should start to come by once the weather gets warmer.
front garden
Slow progress, but a few more rows around the blanket have been done!
Slow progress, but a few more rows around the blanket have been done!
More reading, crocheting and walking in the park to the library and the adjoining walled garden as well as the usual food shopping and household chores continue as part of our daily and weekly routine.
The warmth of yesterday seems to have been a bit of a treat as today we're back to cloudier skies although it's still quite mild and the sun is trying to peep through the clouds every now and again.
Warming comfort food is what I'm cooking. The other evening it was minestrone with lots of different vegetables and legumes in the pot accompanied by a glass of home made wine.


Your fritillary is awesome!
ReplyDeleteNice to see these views of spring flowers and butterfly...
In Somero still plenty os snow...in Verona 20 degrees C!
Have a happy springtime!
What a contrast between Somero and Verona! Enjoy your day! Thank you for visiting and for your good wishes Luisella.
DeleteYour flowers are so beautiful. Your rosemary plant is big and so healthy. I tried to grow rosemary once but it died. Anyway I gave up since hubby doesn't like the smell. The dinner so comforting.
ReplyDeleteIt's cheering to see so many different plants flowering all of a sudden. We like rosemary because it has different uses in cosmetics and cooking. A little goes a long way when adding to roast potatoes etc.
DeleteA butterfly! Fancy that! I love all the bulbs and particularly the fritillary, I've been known to trek all over the place to try and find them, they are so beautiful. Your minestrone looks delicious, enjoy!
ReplyDeleteThank you CK :) I would love to see the wild fritillary growing in a meadow. I've never grown them before so I was pleased that they've done well in a pot indoors.
DeleteI really like those colors in the blanket you are crocheting. Lovely to my eye. Glad you were able to capture that butterfly and it's so good to see all these sweet Spring blooms. Our snow is melting. It's sure nice to get outside and not have our fingers freezing! Have a great rest of the week!
ReplyDeleteThank you Ellen. I'm using up balls of wool and at the same time trying to match the back end of the living room colour scheme. I'm glad to hear that the snow is melting. That's a help when getting out-and-about.
DeleteMy day will be much better having visited yours. Love the flowers and so wish I were sitting down at that table to eat that soup. Been so busy lately, I can't remember when I cooked something that wasn't a 20-minute meal. Need to breathe and slow down -- after I get my taxes done. Ha!
ReplyDeleteAlways pleased for you to come visit! Tax return paperwork can be time consuming. All the best with that. Hope you have the opportunity to relax soon.
DeleteFrom your blossoms to the comfort food at the end it is all quite wonderful. The flowers blooming all about you are gorgeous. I think you are a week or two ahead of us in blooming. I have been thinking I need to buy one of those pots of blooming tulips to enjoy inside, but your fritillaria is gorgeous too. Amazing to see a rose blooming. Thanks for sharing the flowers all around you.
ReplyDeleteThank you Marilyn. I like choosing some new bulbs in the Autumn and planting them with the hope of seeing them flower in the Springtime. I'm sure that you'll enjoy your Spring flowers soon :)
DeleteOooh, your meal looked tasty! How lovely to see that butterfly- was it a Comma?
ReplyDeleteThe Frittillary (spelling?) is beautiful as are the beautiful blooms in your garden including the early Rose!!!x
Thank you Kezzie. Minestrone is a favourite whatever time of the year and versatile as you can use whatever vegetables you have at the time. Yes, the butterfly was a comma. I understand it's also called an anglewing because of the frilly edges to the wings.
DeleteWhat a joy to see the butterfly. I have yet to see one here yet. Spring flowers are starting to bloom here, such a wonderful time of year. We intend to start some seeds today.
ReplyDeleteIt's good to know that butterflies are around especially when we're told that they're in decline. All the best with the gardening MM.
DeleteHow beautiful your spring flowers are especially the fritillaries. The rosemary must have a wonderful scent and the bees will love it. I saw the first comma butterfly of the year on a warm, sunny afernoon earlier in the week. Back to cooler weather now and your minestone looks ideal for that, so warm and tempting:)
ReplyDeleteThe weather is pleasant today here. I hope you have a good weekend whatever you're doing.
Delete