A rich tapestry

March 06, 2019

Englefield, Berkshire

Hello. Thank you for coming by. Do you like researching family history?  I do and I've found out so much of interest about my family in the process. I had a head start as my mother had collected a lot of information and then I did a course at our local library on family history research and added more details. Two cousins on different lines of my family have also contributed to my knowledge.
Today I'm sharing a little about my great grandfather Alfred (my father's maternal family line) who was born in the county of Wiltshire where some of my ancestors came from.  I can trace them back to the 16th century because I have a special document of heredity which has been passed down the generations.  (More about that another time).  Great Grandpa Alfred moved over the county border to West Berkshire and settled in Englefield where he was an agricultural worker on the Englefield Estate.  He married, but by the time he was 28 years old his wife, Harriet, had died. He then married my great grandmother, Mary Anne (Annie) who came from a nearby village. My grandmother, Helen May, was their first child and the couple went on to have 7 children, although two tragically died when they were children within the space of two months in 1893, probably from something as simple as influenza which in those days could prove to be fatal without our modern-day medical treatments.
One of my great granduncles, Charles, stayed in West Berkshire in nearby Bucklebury and I well remember visiting him in his cottage on Bucklebury Common when I was a child in the 1950s.  He must have been in his 70s by then.
After his wife Annie died in 1927 Gt Grandpa Alfred moved to Little Sandhurst in south east Berkshire to be near his grown up children, Albert Richard and Rose Amy. (Rose married someone from this community. My parents and I often visited them and I'm still in touch with great Aunt Rose's younger son). My grandmother Helen May and her husband followed the Methodist movement of Christianity and my father became a Methodist lay preacher so it was natural to go to Sandhurst for special church events at the Methodist Church near to where GtAunt Rose lived and my Dad would preach on these occasions.


Great Grandpa Alfred at GtAunt Rose's wedding (1932)
On the right is my grandmother Helen May and on the left is
 her oldest daughter, my Aunt Doris and Aunt Doris's only daughter, Rita.
By this time Alfred lived in Sandhust and was being looked after by his son, Albert.
  Helen was the oldest of the seven children and Rose Amy was the youngest
so there was quite a difference in age between the sisters.

Back to Englefield Church where Alfred and Mary Anne were married....
By the time we got there it had stopped raining.  I regret not taking photos of the church then as when we came out an hour later the rain was pouring down. Today I'll show you the Estate and outside of the church and tomorrow I'll post about the inside as there are a lot of photos.


Englefield House, for many years
 the family seat of the Benyons




primroses along the path up to the church


snowdrops under the trees


a standing cross and the lychgate on the right


looking towards the church from Englefield House

Our daughter has promised to take me back sometime to visit the church yard.  The memorials inside the church are very interesting and it's a beautiful place of worship. Do come back and take a look when next I write about it. 

24 comments:

  1. I love that tree in number 6 photo and the church is so beautiful. in the photo, the hat on the lady with child on her lap, is what my grandmother had on in her wedding photo in 1923... enjoy your grands today...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra. I like the women's fashions in the 1920s and 30s especially those cloche hats.

      Delete
  2. Ah know that name as there was a ward at Fairmile Hosptal called that. It's also marked on my map for a visit. Belive it or not the place is only around 12 miles from where I live a straight drive and turn right. Looks a nice church and churchyard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to Englefield Church. I did look on your list to see if you had visited. You would find it interesting.

      Delete
  3. How wonderful to have so much detail about your family, made for a very interesting read. It was a joy to see the photographs of the Church. I am looking forward to seeing the interior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found this blog post about my family interesting as it's specific to my personal family history research compiled from the censuses, what I remember from childhood experiences and what I was told by family members.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful little church no wonder you had such a lovely time taking photographs.
    Look forward to seeing the next instalment.

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fascinating church to visit made even more special because of a family connection.

      Delete
  5. That's amazing that you can go back that far and have records. Then you get to see and walk some paths that they walked. Very special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can time to work at family history research and I had the help of a special document on my father's maternal line. Now I have got most of the information I need to produce an archive of different branches of the family. It's interesting to visit places connected with past generations.

      Delete
  6. What fascinating history. How very special that your mother had some history to start you on your exploration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother kept all the records and documents. Family members would go to her for all kinds of information not just about our family history. My two cousins who are also interested in family history filled me in on what I did not know and the rest I researched myself. I enjoyed doing it at the time.

      Delete
  7. How interesting and mostly taking place in my neck of the woods! You can visit Englefield House Gardens on Mondays, something I've meant to do but haven't got round to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me know about when Englefield House Gardens are open. I've told daughter D although she would be working on a Monday in term time. The grounds around the church and the village can be accessed any time. There's a tea room and a garden centre so it's a good place to visit although I'm not sure about public transport. I should think the nearest train station would be at Theale.

      Delete
  8. I've been researching my family tree for ages and always enjoy finding a little bit more with the help of both the internet and 2nd and 3rd cousins I have found over the years. Your family photo is waonderful. The church and house at Englefield look fascinating and I'm looking forward to you post on the church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting to find out about one's family. With the help of heritage museums, television documentaries and other specialist programmes we can learn more about how past generations lived and our own research through the documents comes alive. Family members can be a real help too and it's satisfying to visit places where our families once lived and worked.

      Delete
  9. That's a great history of your family. We have been enjoying doing ours, or at least it's hubby's hobby and I have been enjoying the ride. Thank you for the enjoyable post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found the post interesting. Family history research is an enjoyable hobby. I like hearing about what you've found out when you share on your blog.

      Delete
  10. Wonderful family stories - you have a rich family history!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol. Yes, I'm blessed to know a lot about my family history. I feel particularly close to the generations in living memory and to have been told stories by my parents and other family members when they were alive.

      Delete
  11. What a lovely post! I have been researching my family history for almost twenty years and I love to read about other people's families, too. I can go back to Devizes in the 18th century on one line, via Westminster, but am a bit stuck there now as the surname is too common! Thank you for sharing this. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting Mrs. Tiggywinkle. Sometimes we get stuck at a certain point in family history research. Many of the names of my Wiltshire family line on my 'pedigree document' are also common ones so it's good that I've got this official paperwork. I know that the 16th and 17th century family members were in the wool trade and were wool merchants. I'm pleased that later generations also worked on the land.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment which is appreciated.
Moderation is on and Spam will be deleted.