It has been one of those weeks when Mr P and I have mostly stayed indoors in the warm. Mr P had been taking antibiotics for a chest infection and is a lot better now. It was an opportunity for me to do some light cleaning jobs and reading and for Mr P to potter with his preparations for growing this year's plants in the covered yard/conservatory. It's that time of the year when we just want to rest, keep warm and catch up with some hobbies.
When our grandson S and his girlfriend E came to visit during the Christmas holiday period they brought us a bouquet of flowers chosen by E for the colour and variety.
The bouquet has given us a lot of pleasure especially as they've lasted so well. Some of them are still fresh and I've arranged them in two small vases.
I kept one of the white hyacinths that I grew to give as Christmas gifts.
From the living room windows I can see that there's a lot going on in the garden with roses still surviving, delicate snowdrops blooming and Spring bulbs pushing up through the soil.
There are a few garden birds taking shelter in the trees especially the hawthorn where there are some berries still clinging to the branches. The male blackbirds are regular visitors and I was pleased to see a robin which was fluffing up its feathers to keep warm.
Last evening our local daughter offered to come and bring us some provisions as we're expecting snow. We had a sprinkling of snow on Wednesday, but so far nothing much as yet. We are prepared as we have preserves and dried goods in the store cupboard, milk in the fridge and enough frozen food to last as well as a central heating system that was serviced recently.
I hope all is well with you. Thank you in advance for coming by and leaving a comment. I'll catch up with your news this weekend. Wishing you a good one,
Linda :)






It is so lovely to see the bulbs pushing through.
ReplyDeleteIt's good to know that the cycle of life with the plants is going on and we shall enjoy the Springtime flowers in a month or two.
DeleteYour purple & white bouquet is really beautiful The color combination is so fresh. It feels odd to think that spring bulbs are appearing there and the snow drops are blooming! Here everything is covered with snow; today a splendid January day - sun & -10 C. I was out for an hour :) Wishing you a lovely weekend Linda! I f snow comes, stay warm.
ReplyDeleteThank you Riitta. You stay warm. Snow looks just as pretty when viewed from a window indoors!
DeleteThe colours in your bouquet are lovely and the white hyacinth is delightful. We have snow flakes falling at the moment. Glad you have plenty of provisions put by for bad weather, stay warm and have a lovely weekend:)
ReplyDeleteLiving on high ground, our daughter too, we tend to get the snow settling or icy conditions. No snow as yet, but we're prepared for it, at least.
Deletethose flowers are wonderful, she did well. I have never seen the purple stalk like with leaves in shades of purple/green, the bottom left of the first photo. I love whatever it is... daisies are a big favorite of mine. I love cut flowers because they last so long...
ReplyDeleteThe green/purple plant is the head of an ornamental cabbage, Sandra.
DeleteBeautiful bouquet in a colouracg, and the hyacinth smelled of me. The views in the garden foreshadow the spring, and I love Robin. Greetings.
ReplyDeleteHello Giga. Thank you for coming by and leaving a comment. It's good to hear from you.
DeleteThe snow left as quickly as it came thankfully. Hope that is the case with you, although it does sound like you are well prepared for whatever the weather throws at you. Seeing the spring bulbs is a joy.
ReplyDeleteI always think of you when we see the weather forecast on the television as I know the weather can be more extreme where you live. Looking forward to a catch up with you soon.
DeleteYour Christmas flowers are beautiful. Yes, these are the weeks to stay indoors when the weather is nasty, and dream of gardening in the spring.
ReplyDeleteRetirement means we can please ourselves and potter indoors. I like to go to my interest groups and meet friends so I hope that we don't have a Winter of bad weather. Thank you. Lorrie, for coming by and leaving a comment.
DeleteHello,
ReplyDeletenice flowers and birds! It is pleasant to have some colour in the home too.
Stay warm you both!
Thank you Luisella.
DeleteWhat pretty flowers, perfect for this time of year when there's not much colour in the garden. I hope you're managing to keep cosy and steer clear from all the germs out there. Have a good weekend,
ReplyDeleteThe bouquet was a thoughtful gift that has lasted well. I haven't shared, but we have lots of Spring bulbs popping up in the planters in the covered yard/conservatory - even wallflowers are blooming. That's Mr P's domain and he's happy pottering out there! I hope we don't get snow as I can't wait to get out for a walk, but not when it's icy!
DeleteThe bulbs pushing through the garden soil are such a welcome sign. Snowdrops and flowering winter shrubs like witch hazel sweetened the pill a bit on our return from Australia this week. But it's so cold! Catching up with things in the warm house will be high on my agenda too.
ReplyDeleteGlad you are both well. Take care if it snows!
Welcome back! It's always a shock to the system coming back from a warmer climate as we know only too well with the UK/ Italy trips. I hope the cottage soon warms up and you can get back into a routine with house and garden activities. Mr P always thinks it's warmer down your way, which I'm sure it is. He would love to live in Devon or Cornwall. No snow, as yet, but we're prepared!
DeleteWhat a lovely welcome of that beautiful bouquet. That is one lovely, thoughtful gift. Your garden is further along than ours right now. The snowdrops are amazing. We do have daffodils and crocus coming up, but not as much as the ones I see here. Hope you are doing OK with the weather and staying warm. It has been raining alot this week for us, but still not snow. I tried to hang sheets on the line, but this morning they were soaked. I only have room to dry one at a time inside; so one is still sitting in wait on the line outdoors. Happy to hear Mr. P is feeling better too.
ReplyDeleteIt's not easy to dry linen when the weather is unsuitable to dry outside. I hope the weather improves so that your sheets dry. Snow would not be good news either. Today we have a glimmer of sunshine! No snow, which I'm glad about as we need to get out-and-about again. Mr P is a lot better, but not 100% well. I noticed lots of snowdrops growing and in bloom under the trees in the churchyard when I went to church yesterday on my own. I hope to return and take some photos as it's a nice walk to the church. This afternoon I will go to my book group meeting.
DeleteI'm glad Mr P is getting better! The flowers are so vibrant and would brighten any space.
ReplyDeleteHello Betty. Thank you for coming by and leaving a kind comment.
DeleteHi Linda, Our children are so good to us, aren't they???? Nice that your daughter brought some food/etc. in for you two. Hope your hubby feels better soon. How are you doing these days?
ReplyDeleteLOVE those flowers... Makes me yearn for Spring!!! We are in the 'dead' of winter here now... 8 degrees this morning....
Have a great week.
Hugs,
Betsy
Thank you Betsy. We're doing just fine. Thank you for asking. Take care and keep warm. xxL
Deletej'aime bien les jacynthes blanches
ReplyDeleteil y a un bon moment que je ne suis pas venue vous faire un petit coucou
j'ai changé d'adresse mail
--------letreu50@gmail.com
je ne reçois plus vos publications
pouvez-vous faire le nécessaire pour que je puisse voir votre blog
bisous
edith dutertre https://irissousmonarbre.blogspot.com
merci à bientôt
edith
Hello dear Edith. Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I did not know that you had moved your blog and I will follow up your new information. I'm glad that you have a secure blog. I cannot visit unsecure blogs i.e. the old http:// ones.
DeleteE is a thoughtful girl, it's lovely to have flowers in the house as well as in the garden. I have a hawthorn outside my bedroom window and its most common visitors are great tits but recently, for the first time, we have had a chaffinch, which made me very happy indeed. We also have blackbirds, a robin, sparrows and blue tits - no long-tailed tits yet this year, but I am hopeful. It's a very multicultural tree! x
ReplyDeleteI'm pleased to know that you have a hawthorn tree where you see many varieties of bird. It's heartwarming to think that they all share the tree and it gives them shelter and food in this very cold weather. Thank you for your visit via my blog and for leaving a lovely comment Mrs Tiggywinkle.
DeleteI hope you're managing to keep warm, it's turned so cold here and we have yellow warnings in place for ice. I love having flowers around the house at this time of year, it really perks me up when there isn't a lot going on outdoors. I've got an amaryllis growing and have recently bought some pre potted hyacinth bulbs which will flower before long. There wasn't a label with them so I don't know what colour they are, it will be a nice surprise when they flower.
ReplyDeleteWe've noticed how much colder it has got as we sit indoors. Our daughter came by this evening after work. She says it's freezing outside and icy. An amaryllis is good to have as not only are the flowers pretty, but they last for a long time. You'll get a nice surprise when the hyacinth bulbs start to flower. You may even get different colours.
DeleteOh dear, I hope Mr. P gets rid of his chest infection quickly. The bouquet is gorgeous and those colors are equally so. The outside photos are lovely too, and I especially enjoyed the birds. Thank you for sharing and I wish Mr. P a speedy recovery.
ReplyDeleteThank you Denise. Mr P is feeling a lot better. Thank you for coming by and leaving a kind comment.
DeleteI'm pleased to hear Mr P is on the mend. What lovely flowers, fancy them lasting all month. Lovely to see your beautiful roses and in January too! Loved the snowdrops and birds, enjoy being cozy.xxx
ReplyDeleteThank you Dina. Mr P and I are pleased no snow came our way in the end. It has given me a chance to get out for a few hours! Hope all is well with you and your family.
Delete