A rich tapestry

December 15, 2018

Liverpool visit



Now and again we've driven to Liverpool.


The famous liver bird image is everywhere and we were greeted by this big advertising structure as we drove into the city.  The liver bird is the symbol of the city of Liverpool and it represents a cormorant with a branch of laver seaweed in its beak.


Although there are several statues of the liver bird in the city, the most famous ones are on the Royal Liver Building at Liverpool's Pier Head overlooking the Mersey River, one on each tower, called Bertie and Bella.  They're easy to spot as they dominate the skyline and it's the only thing I remember about the Liverpool waterfront when I was brought here as a child by an aunt and uncle when I used to spend Summer holidays with them.  Bertie looks over the city and Bella looks over the sea.
The Royal Liver Building opened in 1911 and is home to the Royal Liver Assurance group set up to provide assistance to those who have lost a wage-earning relative.  It's one of the three important buildings on the waterfront which is part of UNESCO's World Heritage Maritime Mercantile site. The others are the Cunard Building, the Port of Liverpool Building and the trio are known as the Three Graces.





More liver birds and maritime symbols can be seen on this ironwork gate in one of the entrances to the main shopping centre, Liverpool One.


We drove along the Strand by the waterfront where there are many amazing buildings, old and new.
On the right is the red and white building, Albion House, which was the headquarters of the White Star Line (of Titanic fame) and is now an hotel.  The grey building opposite situated on Pier Head houses offices, the ventilation tower and control station for the Queensway Mersey River Tunnel. 



one of the tall ship trading vessels in Canning Dock



the rhombus-shaped building of RIBA, Royal Institute of British Architects


The Port of Liverpool Building (Edwardian Baroque- style architecture)
on the right


The Cunard Building (Italianate Renaissance/Greek-style architecture)
with the Liver Building in the distance


more of the docks at Pier Head


Our granddaughter went with a friend to see the city centre lit up for Christmas and she sent us some photos.





There were carols singers outside St George's Hall.



Liverpool One shopping arcade





down by the Royal Albert Dock



At the end of the walk hot chocolate must have been very welcome.


Here in Sheffield we're expecting snow sometime this weekend. 

Second Sunday of Advent, 9th December 2018

Tomorrow, 16th December 2018, is the Third Sunday of Advent.  In the church calendar it's called Gaudete Sunday so the theme is joy/rejoice.

Gaudete in Domino semper   "Rejoice in the Lord Always"

24 comments:

  1. What are the little golden people at the bottom of the green metal gate? The style reminds me of Indian artwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The figures painted in gold are double-tailed mermaids. Other sea-related and seafaring symbols are entwined dolphins, shells, ships wheels and ropes. The Grade II listed Sailors' Gates were renovated, installed on Paradise Street and unveiled in 2011. They were the original gates of the Mission to Seafarers that stood where the department store of John Lewis is now located as part of the regeneration of the city project. The gates are a memorial to the Mission and to the contribution that merchant personnel and the Merchant Navy made to the city of Liverpool as a well-known port.

      Delete
  2. love the liver birds and your photos have what I love about our photos, what I call the AA plus.. that stands for Amazing Architecture. we have nothing like this where I live, nothing at all. in the big cities maybe but I don't go there. your granddaughters photos are so beautiful. a tree made from hearts. wow. and my favorite of the decorations she saw is the Liverpoolone tree that goes up the wall and the cola truck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra. I'm looking forward to going back to Liverpool in the Springtime when the weather is better. I would like to walk along the waterfront, visit one of the art galleries and go into the two cathedrals.

      Delete
  3. It was nice to see views of Liverpool, thanks for sharing. Hoping the best for your injury. Happy and peaceful second of Advent to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Luisella. Wishing you a peaceful Advent as we continue our preparations for Christmas.

      Delete
  4. Hi there Linda, I realise I've been a very tardy blog friend as I hadn't picked up about your fall on the steps - apart from anything else, its a shock to the system after something like that. Good to read you're feeling better and that things are going ok. Being monitored takes the worry out of having to decide whether or not to go back etc. Hugs and have a lovely Christmas with your dear family.
    The Liverpool trip was marvellous to see - all the wonderful architecture. It's a city rich with many things. Your granddaughter's photos are brilliant too, I loved seeing the Christmas decorations there. Your last photo is so beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Sue. It's not easy to keep up with blog friends news for various reasons. My lifestyle means I'm away from the internet from time-to-time, but the main thing is we keep in touch as circumstances allow and I think of blog friends when not able to be at the computer. Glad you enjoy what I share as I enjoy your paintings as a talented artist and your gardening blog posts. All the very best, Linda xx

      Delete
  5. I love the Christmas tune Gaudete, it's not really a hymn or a song but it's great in all its latin-ness. Glad you are keeping well. Liverpool looks so grand, I've only been a couple of times, once to get the ferry to the Isle of Man and once to see Crosby Beach to see the Antony Gormley sculptures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the lively tune Gaudete too. I also like all kinds of folk music. We're hoping to stay in the Liverpool area next year so that we can go to Crosby Beach as well as visit some places in Liverpool city. The Antony Gormley sculptures are at the top of my wishlist to see for real.

      Delete
  6. How beautiful the Christmas lights are. I think Liverpool is a wonderful city. My husband remembers visiting when he was a child as his ucle worked in the Liver building and he was taken up to the top of one of the towers where the liverbirds are, he remembers being taken on the ferry across the Mersey to New Brighton too. Glad to hear that all is well after your scan. Have a wonderful week:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to a longer visit. All I remember as a child is standing looking out at the Mersey with the huge Liver building behind me, but going up to the top of one of the towers and going on the ferry must have been a wonderful experience for your husband. Thank you and I hope that you also have a good week.

      Delete
  7. Utterly thrilled to hear all went well with the scan! What a relief that must be. YAY!!!! Loved, loved, loved this post, next time you visit, email me and I'll show you around the hidden, interesting corners.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dina. It was a relief to know that all was clear after having the stomach ultrasound scan. I'll let you know when we come to Liverpool for a longer time next year. I'll be lovely to meet up.xxL

      Delete
  8. I've never been to Liverpool though I know there's lots of things of interest there and things to see, somewhere else that's on my list of places to visit. I didn't know that the liver birds have names. We were forecast snow over the weekend too but it never materialised, we got some heavy rain though. I'm so pleased to hear that the scan came back okay, I know how much of a relief that is when you've been waiting for the results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now we have the connection with Liverpool through our granddaughter I hope we'll have the opportunity to see more of the famous places there. If not it's nice to have her company when she comes home and hear about her studies and time in that city. Although the snow didn't arrive as forecast, like you we did have freezing rain over the weekend. It was a relief re the scan. I hope all is well with your family especially your parents.

      Delete
  9. I had always imagined that Liverpool was a grimy, grey city and it is nice to see it is so open and light. I loved the Christmas lights as well, who wouldn't? :)
    Merry Christmas,
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of our big cities have been transformed through regeneration schemes and at the same time have retained their cultural and historical heritage which makes them exciting places to visit. Merry Christmas to you too Diana.

      Delete
  10. So happy your tests came out good. Whew!
    I have never heard of liver birds. Very interesting!
    Loved seeing the sights around Liverpool.
    Merry Christmas to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found the information interesting. Merry Christmas Marilyn!

      Delete
  11. Both the day and night photos of the city are beautiful. It is a great place to visit. Merry Christmas to you and love ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Liverpool sometime. There are a lot of interesting places there to visit. Merry Christmas Nancy.

      Delete
  12. I've never been to Liverpool so I enjoyed seeing your photographs.
    Loved the night-time photographs, it all looks wonderful.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan. All the best to you too.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment which is appreciated.
Moderation is on and Spam will be deleted.