A rich tapestry

September 09, 2016

Five on Friday



I'm joining Amy's Five on Friday link up again.  It's good to be back! I shall enjoy seeing what everyone else has shared this week too.

This week I'm sharing five beautiful pieces of Moorcroft pottery that were on display in Cannon Hall Museum, Barnsley, Yorkshire.

Moorcroft pottery has often been featured on television programmes such as the Antiques Roadshow and the style of design where colours are applied by hand inside a raised outline to give a three dimensional look is very distinctive. A transparent glaze is applied and the pot is fired twice resulting in a high gloss and bright colours that has become Moorcroft's trademark.  At Cannon Hall there was a room dedicated to design that's probably used by local schoolchildren for sessions to learn through looking, drawing and creating their own designs.  A display explains how the glazes were applied at each stage of production and many beautiful examples can be seen in the cabinets. Below are five of those pieces that show the development of Moorcroft design from the beginning of the 20th century to the present day.  I wonder which is your favourite?  The work that has gone into designing, making and decorating these pots is impressive.  It's difficult to choose one over another, I think.

Early Moorcroft


Vase c. 1914
'Hazeldene'  V & A Grant purchase
'Hazeldene' was one of the early landscape designs by Moorcroft



Vase c. 1915
'Spanish'
'Spanish' was one of the designs showing
a change in direction from William Moorcroft
in style, colour and decoration.

Contemporary Moorcroft



Jug  2005
'Apollo'   Sian Leeper


Vase 2008
'Kulin'  Philip Gibson


Vase  2011
'London 2012'      Paul Hilditch

The images on the vase evoke memories of the Olympics and
Paralympic Games that were held in London 2012.
Featured are iconic buildings such as St. Paul's Cathedral
and 30, St. Mary Axe (commonly known as The Gherkin)