6 Jan 2017

Five on Friday

Hello everyone. Like most of you I've been busy this week tidying up after the holiday festivities. Now I'm also getting back into our usual routine as our daughter left for home on Monday ready for her return to work on Tuesday. I'm joining in Amy's Five on Friday link-up - thank you Amy for organising it - and I'm sharing some of the projects based on my interests that I'll be working on during 2017. 





Crocheting: I started work on another crocheted blanket whilst we were in Italy in November to match the colour scheme in the main living room. Back here in the UK I've been crocheting more squares whenever there's been an opportunity and when our daughter brought her crochet work with her it was relaxing to be able to sit together and crochet during some evenings.  Daughter Dee has been working on her blanket most of 2016, but as she works full-time she can only do it in spare moments. There were many squares to join together and whilst she was with us she crocheted more squares to go around the edges.  It was good to see her finished bed cover.


Knitting: A more challenging project will be to do some knitting!  Our daughter-in-law gave me the book below for Christmas which has some beautiful patterns to knit mainly jumpers, cardigans and coats. She must have confidence in my ability to follow the patterns although they look difficult to me as someone who only does plain knitting!  However, I'll choose one of the less complicated patterns and have a go sometime this year.


Sewing: I've also got a piece of embroidery to work on.  I've given up on counted cross stitch pieces because of eyesight problems, but a design or picture that has been printed onto the material is manageable and the flower will look pretty when finished and framed.


Writing a journal and local history study:
One of the grandsons who lives in Berkshire gave me a fascinating book for Christmas which was written by an historian who also lives in my home town of Reading.  I've always been interested in local history studies and met the author when I was living in Reading and won another of his books in a competition organised by the town's central library. Looking at the photos brings back good memories and hopefully we shall get back down to Berkshire when the weather is better, see the family and visit places in the town and surrounding area. No doubt we shall see some changes in the buildings and streets since last time we visited! Time flies and it's nearly ten years since we first came to settle in South Yorkshire and we're happy to be living here. There's still much to discover about this county and the adjoining county of Derbyshire and now that I'm feeling better I'm motivated to get out to see and learn more about this interesting and beautiful area. Perhaps DISCOVER, which would cover many aspects of my life, should be my word for the year?
 


Gardening/in the garden:  There has been no reason to get out into the garden over these Winter months to do any gardening.  However, there are seedlings in pots on window sills and the plants in the conservatory/covered yard need tending. I grew some white hyacinths in pots and gave them to our daughters.  I brought my glass vase for growing a bulb in water back from Italy in November as it wasn't being used there and placed a blue hyacinth in the bowl at the top so that the roots would seek out and grow down into the water below. Over the last few days the flowers have appeared and the plant is growing taller each day.  


We have a big picture window in the back living room that's perfect for watching the birds that make the neighbourhood their territory.  One day in December I saw and captured a new visitor who perched on a ladder in our neighbour's garden. I think it's a male sparrowhawk, but if anyone has other thoughts I would be grateful for more information. It stayed there for ages without moving except to turn its head now and again.  Then it flew up into a huge cherry tree whose branches are well used by the larger birds before flying back down to perch on the ladder again. It hasn't been back as far as I'm aware so it must have been passing through the area.
 

Well, this is all for now so I wish you a good day and a very peaceful weekend.



42 comments:

  1. What a great five, the knitting book looks amazing but like you I seem to crochet more. I was certainly impressed with the bed cover, it looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daughter Dee worked on her bed cover each time she came to stay for a holiday break in 2016. She helped me get going with the crocheting so lovely memories of our times together.

      Delete
  2. What a super five. Lots of things to keep busy with, to learn about and look forward to. The sparrowhawk was eyeing up your gardens for possible supper wasn't he? Have a lovely weekend, Linda:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Rosie.It's good to have projects on the go and new ones to look forward to. The sparrowhawk stayed so still for such a long time that I was able to take some photos. It was fascinating to watch it.

      Delete
  3. A Happy New Year to you Linda.
    Loving your capture of the sparrowhawk!
    You will be kept busy with all your crafts. I enjoy knitting, some patterns are easier to follow than others. Good luck with all your projects.
    Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely that you visited and thank you. Happy New Year to you and your friends Prunella!

      Delete
  4. What a great five, you're going to be so busy. I could do with that book on Reading to find a few hidden gems to visit! Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year! I shall look forward to seeing where you go in Berkshire and the Reading area via your blog this year CK.

      Delete
  5. It looks like you have some fun projects to look forward to Linda... crochet, knitting and sewing. You are going to be busy. I like the colors you have chosen for your crochet blanket. Hand work is always so calming and peaceful isn't it? So is journal writing. Hope your sparrowhawk make a return visit. He was beautiful. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crocheting is particularly relaxing although I haven't tried to do anything complicated with the craft. It's satisfying to see a blanket grow and then use when finished.

      Delete
  6. You have some great skills in knitting and sewing. I love that shot of the sparrowhawk. Such a great looking bird! Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have enjoyed your five and especially like the snap of the sparrowhawk.
    Happy new year.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting photo of the hawk. He seems to have one foot drawn up. Wonder if he's injured or maybe you happened to click the shutter just as he was moving that leg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Patsy. Thank you for your visit. The bird was fine. I took lots of photos as it perched on the ladder for such a long time and chose that one as you can see its claws clearly. It was looking attentively at what it could catch - resting/raising one leg and then the other as it did so.

      Delete
  9. Wonderful five, I love the picture of the sparrowhawk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janneke. It was an unusual sighting and a handsome creature. We have quite a few smaller birds who come near (mostly into our neighbours' gardens). We haven't seen it since that day. I wouldn't want it to scare off the regulars. Happy weekend to you.

      Delete
  10. that vase in the window has captured my heart, so pretty and the flower in it is to. your chair is so beautiful and I love the colors of your crochet. we have a dual king and it would take years to crochet a cover like your daughters. 20 years for me. ha ha. your learning about your county history has jogged my memory and I will put it on a list of things to check out here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hyacinth flowers smell good too! I'm allergic to some fragrances, but I don't mind the hyacinth. A bed cover takes ages especially one to cover a regular double never mind a king size! It took daughter Dee a year doing it when she could. Mine are lap blankets so I do a few squares when I feel like it. I'm planning in my head places to visit and share on the blog this year depending on the weather and our health. Thanks for visiting and your continued interest Sandra.

      Delete
  11. Happy New Year, Linda. What a lovely, creative Five. I have mixed feelings about the sparrowhawk, I'm afraid: wonderful to see him but I fear for the smaller birdies when he's around (I know, that's pathetic). He is beautiful, though, and well done for capturing him. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mrs Tiggywinkle. I have mixed feelings about the sparrowhawk too for the same reason.

      Delete
  12. Reading all kind of history books is so interesting and they teach always new stuff. I admire your crocheting & knitting!
    Wishing you bright January days!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, Linda. Wishing you all the best for the new year. Your crochet projects are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Discover is a wonderful choice and one that inspires me too, Linda! Your projects are inspiring as well! May 2017 be a year of positive discoveries and beautifully completed projects! XX

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello! Love all that beautiful crochet work, and the embroidery picture is just beautiful! What a wonderful shot of the sparrowhawk visitor. I so look forward to attracting more birds to our new yard when the weather settles and we can get out and buy bird seed and a new feeder. I don't want sparrowhawks attacking my other visitors but it would be so great to see raptors as well. We saw a bald eagle driving by a couple of weeks ago when we came before we moved in. Have an awesome week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Marie, i'm pleased to see you here and commenting when I still cannot comment on your blog. I hope that you are keeping warm and yes, it'll be good when you can get out and set up a bird feeder. The birds will appreciate it. It must be a wonderful environment that you've moved to where you'll see awesome sights like the bald eagle. I look forward to seeing your photos. All the best as you settle in your new home.

      Delete
  16. You have some wonderful projects happening. Seeing them makes me think I should pick up something too. I keep thinking of picking up a paint brush and watercolors. Love seeing your visitor too. I don't know what he is, but he is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marilyn. Painting in watercolour sounds like a good project for you. I believe you have been enjoying your online photography course too. These hobbies help us look closely at the world around us and are relaxing activities.

      Delete
  17. Wow! You are a very busy, crafty lady. Good for you. I used to knit and never seemed to get out of my plain garter stitch scarf making. Wish I would have. But I love crochet and it just seems so easy for me to do. And aren't granny squares so relaxing to do. I took a picture of a hawk today, not too far from where our birdfeeders are located. I hope there weren't any casualties. Have a great day.

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cindy. Thank you for your visit! Crocheting is my favourite new leisure activity so I want to finish what I have on the go before I start a knitting project. It sounds as if hawks are a bit of a menace if they target small garden birds, but birds of prey are beautiful to look at. Have a good week Cindy!

      Delete
  18. All things I love (crochet, plants, history, birdwatching), except knitting -- that is something I tried twice but couldn't get the hang of. Looks like you've got lots to keep you busy. Have a great new week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tammy! Good to see you here! I hope you have a good, productive and peaceful week also.

      Delete
  19. What a lovely post, Linda! Your garden looks so green!
    The embroidered flower is very pretty indeed. We tried to make something similar at school, but the results were not very great. :)
    A special thank-you for your comment today. I'm always happy when somebody notices what I have tried to do with colours.
    Have a happy and healthy week! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara for your visit and comments. The weather has been mild and wet so that probably accounts for the green vegetation and the evergreen hedge around the garden is a good backdrop in some photos. However, I think we're in for some snow at the end of the week. I'm sure the students at school enjoyed their sewing. You have a good eye for colour and design and always produce interesting photos to share on your blog posts. I wish you a happy week!

      Delete
  20. Happy new year!!! Your crafty makes are brilliant- you are so talented! The bird picture is amazing!! I can't believe you got him so clearly!!!x

    ReplyDelete
  21. You've got some lovely projects on the go. I've never done any embroidery other than cross stitch, I wouldn't know where to start, it looks like a lovely piece to work on. I bought Mick's uncle a similar book to your Reading one for Christmas. He was born in a village about eight miles from here and when I was stuck for a gift for him I decided to contact the local history group and ask if they'd had any books published. They just had the one in print and it turned out to be really interesting for him as there were even relatives of his listed in it. His wife's now reading it and afterwards, his twin brother wants to borrow it. It turned out to be a really good present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done some free style embroidery in the past and would like to do some more, but in the meantime having a motif printed on a piece of material is a good way to practise different stitches.You must be pleased that Mick's uncle and his wife are enjoying the local history book and even better when it includes information that's personal to the family. I don't suppose you've had much opportunity lately to do your Joyful World sewing, but I look forward to seeing your progress with the project this year.

      Delete