5 Sep 2016

Gardening update, this and that

Over the last few months whilst I've been recuperating Mr. P. has been getting on with his gardening and vegetable/fruit growing. The Summer flowering plants give a good display every year and fill our flower beds in our small plot of land around the house, front and back.  From experience new plants that we buy, apart from roses, are now grown in pots otherwise they seem to get eaten by pests. I've had to dig up many new plants in the past and transfer them to pots. Most of the Summer flowers have gone over now so the garden looks different from the first lot of photos below.  Some of the lavender has been cut, but there's still more flower heads to be harvested. Mr. P. brought a bunch indoors and I had to think where to put them. Usually I cut the stems fairly short and put them in large paper bags to completely dry out until I can make some lavender bags. A large floor vase in our entrance hall was the most suitable place I could find until then. (It's cracked so I store large umbrellas in it. It's one I inherited and I don't really like it, but I thought I would research it and found out that it's retro Scheurich pottery). Now the lavender fills the entrance hall with a lovely fragrance.
  




We haven't sat out in the garden these past couple of months as much as I thought we would as there have been mosquitoes about even though we don't have any stagnant water to attract them. Mr. P. had to work on his raised beds of vegetables and got bitten a lot despite using a repellent. No. 2 daughter gave us a small table that she didn't need herself.  Mr. P. gave it a new coat of varnish and it's now suitable for use in the garden. No 1. daughter arranged for a small solar powered water feature to be sent to us. Thankfully we've had sunny days when it's been working, the water flowing and making a relaxing sound.



I've been able to get out for short periods of time to do something enjoyable and relaxing, although there have been many outpatient hospital appointments as well as the times actually in hospital. There are less appointments at the moment.  I'm still waiting to be assessed for radiotherapy and in the meantime I shall be having more scans for different reasons.  No. 1 daughter came to stay for a week or two, but has gone back home now as the school where she works started the new term today. After the two health incidents when I was rushed to hospital I've rather lost confidence in going out on my own, but it has been good to go out with the family instead.   One of the trips was to the local garden centre where I bought a rose for our daughter to take back to her home in Berkshire.  It's called 'Thinking of You'.  


We also went to Cannon Hall Estate and Museum in the Barnsley area - not too far up the M1 motorway from us - where we enjoyed being in the parkland and walled garden and where there were some interesting exhibitions of wonderful Moorcroft and De Morgan ceramics and a display of retro dresses made by a local seamstress and displayed in the beautifully furnished rooms full of period pieces and to Worsbrough Reservoir, also near Barnsley, where there's a restored working flour mill - more about these trips another time, but here are some photos in the meantime.

Morning Glory "Grandpa Ott"
The Walled Garden, Cannon Hall
Worsbrough Reservoir
The strawberries from the garden are now just a distant memory, but we've enjoyed the first of the two melons that were successfully grown in the covered yard and now we're gathering the figs. The different varieties of tomatoes have done fairly well over the last few months - not great quantities, but enough to eat fresh, make tomato sauce for pasta dishes and bottle some. Mr. P. still thinks the San Marzano Romano plum tomatoes are the best variety for him to grow, but this year he also grew a bush variety- Heartbreaker - from the Sutton Seeds pack he was given last Christmas which produced lots of small tomatoes early on that were good for salads and also he's been pleased with the crop from the variety, Gardener's Delight. 

Heartbreaker - end of June
the early stage of the musk melon



Finally, this is the garden today - rather cloudy so the photos are not the best.  However, the sunflowers are a cheery sight, especially the one growing up into the fig tree.


Wishing you a good day and thanking you once more for the lovely comments left on my last blog post, so much appreciated.
Linda :)


28 comments:

  1. your garden is perfect and your daughters did well with the table and fountain. I did not know there are solar powered fountains. all the flower photos are beautiful and the rose is aptly named for your gift and the color of it is awesome. prayers for your health issues

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very useful gifts from our daughters. I prefer a water feature that's solar powered and this one is perfect for the sitting out area in our small garden. Thank you for your prayers.

      Delete
  2. Your garden is beautiful! Lovely flowers and water fountain. And your plants are also so fruitful! Great harvest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been looking forward to the figs maturing and it was satisfying to be able to grow melons for the first time even though only two developed on the vine. The one that has ripened had a lovely flavour, the second isn't quite ready.

      Delete
  3. We, too, have had lots of mosquitos recently - must be the weather conditions this summer, I think. I was interested to hear that you have had to put your new plants into pots as again this is something I have had to do, for the same reasons. It does leave the beds rather dependent on hardy geraniums and shrubs though.

    Glad to hear you are enjoying your garden and getting out and about a bit more now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the weather conditions (humid) must be the reason then for so many mosquitoes. It's disappointing when new plants are put directly into the ground only to be eaten by slugs. Where there should be interesting new plants my husband has been growing some tomatoes!

      Delete
  4. It's so lovely to hear that you're getting on well. This recuperation business can take some time but luckily, you've got a beautiful garden to sit in and enjoy in the meantime. I love the sentiment of the rose you bought your daughter, such a perfect name and so pretty too. You must get Mr P to grow some Maskotka tomatoes, they're my favourites and as they're a bush variety, they don't take too much looking after. We love Cannon Hall, I did a couple of posts about it on my other blog back in May 2014 and then again last year, there's so much to see and do there and beautiful grounds for a walk. Hope you get that radiotherapy sorted out soon so that you can get it done and dusted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jo. The Maskotka tomato sounds a good one being a bush variety. Re. the radiotherapy I had hope to have started by now, but I know that one has to be healed up before it happens. At least I've been told it will be for 3 weeks and not five as first advised. My goal is to get better and fit so we can get out to Italy, but one day at a time. I was impressed with Cannon Hall. Lots to see with only the car parking to pay. We were even given a complimentary glossy guidebook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Linda, I was so happy to read your post today. Your garden is so lovely. And, I love the water feature; such a unique shape. Your garden is producing so many wonderful things. I planted an heirloom tomato and the worms almost ate all of it! I hope your recovery continues to go well dear friend. I'll be thinking of you, Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to hear from you, Pat. Thank you for thinking of me. It's a shame about your heirloom tomato and I hope it survives and give you a crop. My husband grows more tomatoes than anything else as it's a basic in our diet, but we also have lots of sweet peppers, cucumbers, salad leaves and herbs that I haven't included in this post. Our pears and apples have done badly this year.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful garden! Such lovely flowers and healthy vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely post, Linda. It is so good to hear from you and see all the photos of your wonderful garden. The water feature is lovely and what wonderful flowers and produce you have had in your garden.We too have to keep some of the plants in pots because of them being nibbled by slugs and snails:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought dahlias last year and lost them to slugs, but one grown in a pot survived, has grown and produced even more flowers this Summer. We can put the pots in the covered yard over the colder months.

      Delete
  9. I love that waterfeature your daughter gave to you, a beautiful piece of art. So many wonderful photos of your garden, I love especially those different sunflowers and the tomatoes. I grow every year 'Gardener's Delight'tomatoes, they are healthy sweets for the grandchildren who are fond of tomatoes. You have such a good crop of vegetables and fruit, love it.
    Wish you all the best with your health and I hope you can still enjoy a lot of sunny late summer days in your garden in September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our grandchildren enjoy the fresh vegetables my husband grows. Our granddaughter says the distinctive smell of tomato plants and fresh basil always reminds her of my husband working with them in the covered yard. Thank you for your good wishes. Let's hope we get some sunny days in September and you too.

      Delete
  10. The garden looks lovely, Mr P has indeed been busy! There have been so many problems with garden pests this year, I wonder if the run of warmer winters has something to do with it. I've lost a good many of the things I've planted out this year, mostly to slugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's frustrating to lose plants to slugs. I've given up buying new plants, although there haven't been many opportunities this year to go to garden centres, browse and buy. I dug up the white delphinium I bought earlier in the year and it's now growing well in a pot and looks really healthy. I have to be content with the hardier plants that do well in the flower beds such as the roses. Sweet peas and long stemmed carnations have done well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow...see how your garden grows. That lavender is so healthy. Beautiful. What a good idea for the stalks to go into the floor vase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen. That lavender is growing in the front garden near the front door. It has welcomed visitors with its lovely fragrance. The bees loved it too!

      Delete
  13. Dear Linda,

    So lovely to see a post from you, as I have been thinking of you. The garden photos are wonderful with the water feature and don't you love hearing the soothing sound of water.
    the rose you bought your daughter 'thinking of you' is so pretty and a lovely deep red. Lavender is pretty too and I love the divine scent. Also how amazing all your produce is, tomatoes, strawberries are so healthy.
    Enjoy your week and continued prayers for a good recovery.
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn for your messages. I've replied to you on my last post re. your question about the rose, Joie de Vivre. Also, I believe I left a comment on your recent blog post, but I'm playing 'catch up' with all my blog friends at the moment. Anyway, thank you for coming by here and I hope you're enjoying a good week yourself.

      Delete
  14. It is so lovely to see you back in this space again Linda - it must have been a difficult summer - you have been in my thoughts - your husband has been really busy in the garden, and it looks as if he has been amply rewarded - all of the produce and flowers look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosemary. I'm thankful for your support. My husband is also a great support to me at this time, driving me around when necessary, cooking meals etc. so I'm glad he finds satisfaction in gardening, producing fruit and vegetables for the family to enjoy.

      Delete
  15. Glad you have been able to get into the garden and enjoy it. The water feature is lovely and so is your pot of lavender in your hallway. Still sending all good thoughts and hopes to you and gentle hugs too so you don't get squished! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy for your visit. I appreciate the hug. All the best my friend.

      Delete
  16. Your gardens are always so lovely! So jealous of your lavender - it's so beautiful in the garden and the in house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa. We've still got lavender in flower in the garden even though it's mid September!

      Delete