30 Sep 2016

Five on Friday


Yesterday I had time to go into Sheffield in search of more elephant sculptures before they disappear to jungles new when they're auctioned off in aid of the Children's Hospital Charity. I went on the trail around the city centre and found many of them, including the Little Herd, (those created by the schoolchildren) in the Winter Garden.
Today I'm joining Amy's Five on Friday and sharing five of the schools whose pupils, with the help of their teachers, created these elephants. They are all very different, but each one is imaginatively decorated. I've also included a photo collage of one or two more that deserve to be featured.



1. Welly the Elephant
St Anselm's School ran a competition giving everyone a chance to submit a design. The winning design came from a year 4 child.  The panel of children and staff thought her design was very colourful and they liked the way the bright colours blended together.




********************


2. An Elephant Never Forgets
Sheffield High School (Junior School) The design is based on the saying 'an elephant never forgets'. From netball to art, coding club to science, playing with their friends and eating school dinners each pupil contributed to the elephant design by drawing a picture of their favourite memory from the past year on a square of coloured paper. The squares create the Sheffield High School tartan, which is part of the school uniform.
The sculptures are all wonderful, inspired by good ideas with positive messages about the present and aspirations for the future as well as reflecting what these particular children are experiencing in today's modern world.  However, my favourite is this Elephant (who never forgets).  I like the fact it shows the drawings of so many children in the school who've enjoyed participating in the project and it's a great record of some special moments that they've remembered this past year.
  


********************


3. Eco Elephant
Nether Green Junior School's design, Eco Elephant, reflects the green city of Sheffield and the children of Nether Green Junior School's desire to create an eco-friendly environment, now and for the future. The design process has been led by the School Council and every pupil in the school has been inspired by the beautiful trees that surround their playground to create their own unique leaf to add to Eco.


********************


You can see the scale of the little elephants from this photo (above).


4. Heart
Acres Hill Primary School's main designer was Hasti Rashid from Year 3.  The whole school took part in sharing ideas for their elephant, Heart.  They were inspired by Indian prints, patterns and artwork. Patterns from other children at the school have also been included in the final design. The school's golden rule was used to help the students, 'we are gentle, kind and helpful'. The school's motto, 'bringing learning to life!' was also incorporated in the project.


********************


5. Bradley
Bradfield's School's elephant design, Bradley, is based on the link between Bradfield School and Sheffield's industry.  The feet are the foundations of the city with the industry supporting it. Smoke rises up from the chimneys to create the city's trees and rural heritage.  Behind this are cogs, representing the city schools' 'stem' education emphasis.  The colours are greys and silvers representing steel. 



********************

Top: Emojiphant and Water Ways, 
Bottom: Timothea Peake S.T.E.A.M. Elephant and Waffles


Do go and see what others have posted this week or join in yourself if you are new to
 the Five on Friday link-up. I know I shall enjoy visiting those participating.  

Thank you once more for your kind comments left on my last blog post and as always I wish you
a good day and a very peaceful weekend,
Linda :)

18 comments:

  1. What a fabulous exhibition Linda. I absolutely love elephants and Elmer we one of my favourite children's story. They must all look so colourful as you walk around. The judges will have a hard time to decide. Have a good weekend :) B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think all the schools have come up with such wonderful ideas. I particularly like the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are all amazing, a truly wonderful display. I wouldn't want to judge them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are absolutely amazing. those kids are so talented. I love them ALL.. and so glad you showed the whole photos to show the scale of the little herd. I am leaning towards the pink one for my favorite, but the one with the tree is close. thanks for sharing this wonderful little herd

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for showing us more of the elephants, they are amazing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely Five on Friday. I love these Art walks. They are so great to look at and raise lots of money for worthy charities. Wonderful elephants! My mum would love them - she loves elephants.

    Have a lovely weekend

    ReplyDelete
  7. The elephants look so cute! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cute! I have an aunt who collect elephant jewelry. I hope you can stop by:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2016/09/tea-time-homecoming-and-cream-puff-cake.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Linda, I loved reading your blog today and seeing these beautiful photos. What a great idea for a charity event! Have a wonderful weekend and I will be in touch. Hugs, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm it's difficult to choose which is the best. In the words of Bruce Forsyth, they are all my favourites! I can just imagine all the children really getting involved with the project and being eager to see the finished elephant. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous elephants Linda. I would not be able to choose a favourite as to me they are all wonderful works of art.
    Have a lovely weekend :)x

    ReplyDelete
  12. The elephants are just wonderful. I tried to pick a favorite, but couldn't find the one favorite. That is a lovely way to raise funds. The building in the first photo was quite beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love them! All of them are beautiful but that one with the patchwork of aspects of their school life is wonderful!x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing more photos of the colorful herd, Linda. I love seeing the variety of creative ideas, and can't pick a favorite. I hope they provide a good income for the charity! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are all fabulous, thank you so much for sharing them. I love to see children's creative work and wonder at their ideas and inspiration. I hope they raise lots of money for the Children's Hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What beautiful elephants Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahhhh, what a treat, how adorable they all are! I would have had an awful job choosing a winner. They have a herd of sheep in the lakes, they pop up in the most unlikely places.xxx

    ReplyDelete