6 Jun 2016

Up in the mountains (2)

Today I'm continuing the walk in the woods near the Charterhouse of Trisulti on the trail that leads up to St. Dominic's hermitage.  It was obvious that some of the rustic railings had been damaged by falling trees so I didn't walk too far up the trail knowing that there would be twists and turns and the path would get steeper.  I took photos of wild flowers and then returned to where my husband was waiting in the car which was in a parking space on the track below. 






wood anemone and cyclamen





Another charity shop find, I used this useful little book to identify some of the wild flowers I saw.

euphorbia (sun spurge) with small grape hyacinth, yellow trefoil, blue sheep's bit scabious, white and pink flower ? (of the nettle family?), white helleborine cephalanthera longifolia (orchid family)

blue cornflower, white campion, pink candy tuft,  yellow rock rose, pink campion




When we pass this old oak tree growing on the edge of the mountain I like to stop and take a look at it. The trunk appears to be dead, but the upper branches are growing and producing new foliage.



Just off the side of the main track is a path that leads to the ruins of the old monastery built long before the Charterhouse was constructed.  This small construction, I'm not sure how old it is, might have been a gatekeeper's hut or a mountain look-out point.




the old monastery ruins


The gardens of the ancient pharmacy in the Charterhouse which we visited earlier in the day.


Thank you for visiting and leaving your kind comments on my last blog post.  I haven't been able to read many of yours or leave a comment as I find I'm needing to rest at the moment. (My important hospital visit is on Wednesday). At the same time I wanted to finish off the blog I started about our walk in the woods in the area near Trisulti Charterhouse. We've been enjoying some lovely weather in the last few days so I'm now going to make the most of it by sitting out in the garden in the sunshine.

Have a lovely day!

23 comments:

  1. The woodland paths beckon one. I'd be tempted to keep on going, always 'just a little bit more', forgetting about the walk back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very tempting to walk on when exploring a new path just to see where it will lead.

      Delete
  2. Good Morning Linda,
    What a wonderful profusion of wildflowers and you identified so many of them for us. Thank you. I love walking in the woods. This looks to be not only a lovely place to walk but very peaceful as well. I love that old oak tree. At least for me, it says that even as we age and our bodies and even our hearts become gnarled and scarred from the events of life, we still have much to give that is good and life affirming. Keeping you in my thoughts my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope all goes well on Wednesday. You certainly took us on a wonderful stroll. Beautiful wild flowers and views, a real delight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wild flowers are fascinating because they're often versions in miniature of those we see in our garden environments.

      Delete
  4. i love the pics of the trail, the fence along it is so beautiful to me. rustic beauty in the woods. nothing better... i would love to walk along it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A woodland is my favourite place in which to walk although walking by some form of water is also enjoyable.

      Delete
  5. Such a wonderful place, it looks so tranquil and somewhere to go when you want some peace and quiet. Hope everything goes well for you on Wednesday at the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly a quiet area especially during the week when there are less people around.

      Delete
  6. Hi Linda, this looks like such a magical place you visited. The beautiful trees and flowers are stunning. I'm praying that all goes well with Your visit on Wednesday. Hugs, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I just love your walk in the woods. The wildflowers are just gorgeous. How I would love exploring the old monastery too. Best wishes on Wednesday, good thoughts will be sent your way. Hugs, m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always worth the drive to be able to walk in the woods near Trisulti.

      Delete
  8. Lovely! It looks so cool and inviting under the trees and I like your collages of all the wildflowers you saw. I hope all goes well on Wednesday:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleased to find so many varieties of wild flowers growing amongst the rocks in the woods.

      Delete
  9. It was lovely to take more of a walk in the woods with you! I hope that all goes well for you tomorrow, I will be thinking of you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the walk Amy. Thank you for your support and good thoughts.

      Delete
  10. I just love that trail, and the woodland flowers. I have your wildflower book too. That astonishing oak with the depleted trunk reminds me of trees in the Lakes, as does that trail. Your unidentified wildflower does seem to have nettle like leaves....and oddly...hollyhock flowers, let us know when you identify it, I can't enlarge the picture..
    I hope all went well today, you take good care of you Mrs!Sending lots of positive vibes!xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wondering if the unidentified wildflower is a variety of eyebright although the leaf of an eyebright is different. Thank you for your continued good thoughts and concern.

      Delete
  11. What a lovely walk - so peaceful! So nice to see the beautiful wildflowers and your helpful identifications. I have white campion growing on my property, but didn't know the name of it! The ruins with the blue mountains in the background is so beautiful. I do hope all goes well with your testing. I will be sending positive thoughts and prayers your way! x Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flowers of the white campion were almost over, but I took a photo anyway. Thank you Karen for your prayers and I'll stay positive too.

      Delete
  12. So lush and gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete