8 Mar 2016

This and That




The gift of flowers is a delightful gesture of love and I certainly felt loved by my children at the weekend when I received three bouquets.  Our local daughter had arranged with her brother and sister to get them for Mothering Sunday/Mother's Day. Our daughter also invited us to her home for lunch and my husband cooked the main course.  It was an enjoyable get together as I also had phone calls from the other children and grandchildren.


Our chef grandson came 4th in the finals of this year's Young Chef of the Year competition organised by The International Association of Gastronomy (la Chaine des Rotisseurs). Yesterday he flew to Valencia, Spain to do some training at the Michelin restaurant RiFF owned by the chef Bernd Knoller. He has settled in and is being looked after very well.  It's a wonderful opportunity for him and he's really enjoying his chefing experiences. 





We've had some more odd weather again with more snow and then sunshine.  All the seedlings except for the new garlic sets are kept indoors as the covered yard is not heated.  Even in the house the temperature drops during the night and the flower and vegetable seedlings are taken off the window sills. A lovely sight is to see the peach tree in the covered yard in blossom. Perhaps we'll get some peaches again this year?

This time last year we were in Italy, but we're looking forward to going next month and have just organised our travel arrangements.  We need to do a lot more work on house maintenance, especially on replacing some wooden support beams in the roof.  Mr. P. did a few of these last year, but it's heavy and dusty work.  Before he could start a hornets' nest had to be removed. I hope they haven't returned as these insects give a powerful sting and are dangerous for anyone allergic as is the case in my family. The nest seemed to be empty, but we did find the odd hornet flying around so even though I took photos I was very careful doing it.


Getting up into the roof space is complicated as the access is through a hatch located in the upper floor family bathroom.  It was difficult to carry the beam up the ladder and then some of the roof tiles had to be removed and some smaller wooden supports repaired before nailing in the new beam.  I held the ladder when Mr. P climbed up into the roof just in case it slipped on the marble floor.  He also had to climb out of the hole he had made and up onto the roof in order to replace the tiles that he'd stacked there. In March the weather is as unpredictable as our own in the UK so it was important to get the work done as it looked as if it was going to rain.


Today, 8th March, is International Women's Day when we express our solidarity with other girls and women around the world.  I've written about it on a couple of occasions as whether I'm in Italy or in the UK I mark this day in some way.  If  I'm in Italy I get together with some of my sisters-in-law (I have five still living) and other women friends.  We give one another bunches of mimosa which is the Italian flower associated with the day.  Mimosa is blooming in March and can be gathered without having to go to the expense of buying flowers.  Places are decorated with branches of mimosa and there are meetings highlighting the human rights and the plight of women and girls around the world who live in oppressive conditions. On Saturday our city university will be hosting  a day of workshops and talks.







It's proving to be another busy, but enjoyable week. My husband and I are hoping to go out for the day if the weather is good at the end of the week as we usually do on the 10th March. This is the day my husband and I met at my sister-in-law's wedding in 1962.  I will try and catch up with all your news as soon as I'm able.
Meanwhile, wishing you a very peaceful rest of the week,
Linda.


34 comments:

  1. I hope you have a lovely anniversary of meeting day with your lovely husband! Beautiful flowers you received!! Congratulations to your grandson, how wonderful that he did so well!!! I hope that he has a wonderful time in Spain. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your peach tree is lovely, I had no idea the blossom was as beautiful as that. What a clever (and useful!) grandson to have. Congrats to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica. The blossom is pretty. I keep calling the sapling a peach when, in fact, it's a nectarine that was grown from a stone.

      Delete
  3. Your flowers are beautiful. Well done to your grandson, what an achievement and what an experience he'll have in Spain. We had both bees and wasps nesting around the roof last year, I'm just hoping they don't return again this year, I don't mind the bees so much but I don't like wasps. Enjoy your day out with your husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is that the wasps usually return to the same place and start building again. We have to go around looking for signs of them every time as well as other creatures such as black scorpions and snakes lurking in the brambles and long grass.

      Delete
  4. Oh, what lovely flowers from your wonderful children, and well done to your grandson, I'm sure he'll make the most of such a marvelous opportunity.
    Your peach blossom is gorgeous, mine isn't doing much yet!
    I loved your pics, especially the snow, sadly we haven't had a solitary flake to date.I do hope the hornet problem is resolved, interesting to see that nest though.
    I've signed many a petition on behalf of women today, it's always good to feel that you can do something, however small.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dina. I would like to go into the Peak District one day this week, but it depends on the weather.

      Delete
  5. Hats off to grandson and his chef accomplishment! Happy belated Mother's Day. Ours is in May. I hope those hornets haven't returned. Our son in the eastern part of Washington state is plagued by wasps! How fun to be looking forward to Italy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen. Wasps and mosquitoes are not my favourite creatures! It's interesting that your Mother's Day is in May. Ours is in March because of a Church tradition. Domestic servants were given the day off to go home to see their family on what is known as Mothering Sunday. They would take a bunch of flowers, usually wild ones they had picked on their way home. Today in church the youngsters give out posies of flowers/daffodils to the women in the congregation made up beforehand. The day has now become an official date here in the UK to appreciate mothers or remember our mother if not with us any more.

      Delete
  6. So wonderful to feel loved by our children and grandchildren. Your flowers are so lovely and how proud you must be of your grandson. Your garden looks beautiful even in the snow. Were those yellow flowers the mimosas your were talking about? Very pretty and the message they represent an important one. Happy Mothers Day to you and may March 10 be a joyful day as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gloriade. Yes, the photo shows a bunch of mimosa given to me last year on this day.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations to your Chef Grandson! What a future he will have!
    The garden is lovely in the snow. I always enjoy a back garden view!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pondside. Your visit and kind comment is much appreciated.

      Delete
  8. Hope you have a great day celebrating the day you met, how lovely. Congratulations to you grandson what a great achievement and experience now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming by. Your congratulations and those of everyone I shall pass on when next we speak. We're happy that all the grandchildren are working hard towards their aspirations.

      Delete
  9. A beautiful day of celebration for you and your grandson! Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely post, Linda so much to enjoy. Your tulips are lovely and what good news of your grandson. I remember large hornets in the plum trees at a friend's house in France, we had to be so careful of them when eating in the garden. I hope you enjoy your special day on March 10th:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful post, Linda! Pink flowers are the prettiest, you have a chef grandson (that sounds really cool!) and it will be gorgeous to travel to Italy in April! :)
    Enjoy spring coming every day a bit closer! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sara and I'm glad you enjoyed the post. We're all looking forward to the coming of Springtime aren't we?

      Delete
  12. your tulips are so pretty and congrats to your family chef. the best part for me would be someone else doing the cooking. that is a gift i love the most..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra. We have some good cooks in our family. I'm sure our grandson finds satisfaction in his cooking. The interest in food has been passed down from dishes he's seen his mother making who in turn learnt from my husband. Now he has reached a high standard in creative presentation as well as cooking.

      Delete
  13. Gorgeous flowers! And even your seedlings are cute. Sounds like a wonderful day! Our Mother's Day is in May.
    Looks like and sounds like dangerous roof work. But my husband would be up high doing it also--nothing much stops him.
    The daffodils' shoots are up but no blooms yet. We just had snow last week, but it's 65 today --beautiful short sleeve weather.
    I never thought of celebrating International Women's Day. I will try and do so next year.
    Take care! :>)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain today and it's very cold! Some flowers are beginning to bloom, but our daffodils are still in bud due to being in a sheltered part of the garden and nearly always in the shade. We're looking forward to our trip to Italy. Lots of hard work, but it's got to be done and I'm there to keep my husband company and lend a hand.

      Delete
  14. Lovely photos you have shared of your springtime and so glad you had a wonderful Mother's Day. Congratulations to your grandson, also! An exciting time in his life and it sounds like he is on a good track for a wonderful career. I always worry when my Mr. has to climb on the roof for repairs or gets on a ladder. These wonderful men are our everyday heroes. I am glad to hear that International Women's Day is getting more attention. There is so much work to be done on behalf of women in this world. Have a lovely week. x Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen for your good wishes.

      Delete
  15. What wonderful flowers you recieved for Mother's Day and congratulations to your Grandson, what an achievment. You can look forward to some amazing meals.
    I hope your husband managed to get your roof water tight before all of the wind and rain arrived in the UK.
    Have a happy week and weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Prunella. I hope you're enjoying your week also.

      Delete
  16. The Tulips are beautiful. The pictures are lovely. I love birds so much because they bring happiness to us. Congrats to your grandson!

    Sandra xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. All of those spring flowers just make me happy! Congratulations to your grandson!

    ReplyDelete