31 Mar 2016

Scavenger Hunt for March 2016

It's the end of the month and time for another collection of photos for the Scavenger Hunt Photo Challenge hosted by Greenthumb of Made With Love Blog.  Thank you Greenthumb.  You can find the list of this month's participants here.

The list for March: local, city, stripes, crisp, street art, tiles, rocks stairs, hair, measure, large, for one, landscape


LOCAL    a local park



CITY    Fargate, Sheffield City Centre.  There is always something going on in the main pedestrianised areas of the city. One Saturday there was a group of flautists playing for the Marie Curie fund raising Daffodil Appeal



STRIPES    Fargate, the Continental Market




CRISP     These traditional sweet, crisp pastries are eaten during Carnevale, the Thursday before Lent, in some European countries, including Italy.  The thin strips of dough are shaped into bows or other shapes. When shallow fried the dough puffs up giving them a light, flaky texture.  Powdered sugar is sprinkled on top before serving them.  Each region of Italy has its own name for them and in Rome they are called frappe.



STREET ART      Owlerton (usually pronounced Oh-lerton), is an area of Sheffield that is thought to have originally been named because many alder trees grew there (alder-ton).  Fine art students from the nearby college supported by a local artist have spray painted murals on the walls and fences showing industries, businesses, historical events and characters associated with the local area.  



TILES      Floor tiles in the Grand Entrance Hall, Chatsworth House, Derbyshire.




ROCKS STAIRS (steps?)     I wasn't sure what this prompt meant so I've submitted several options. Above are (1)  rocks that could be used as steps at The Vineyard Restaurant and Wine Shop, Holmfirth, Yorkshire. There is official access by way of a shallow gravel slope and the rocks are part of a wind break as the site is on the side of a hill (2) flagstone steps in the village of Holmfirth and (3) the carpeted stone Grand Staircase, Chatsworth House, Derbyshire.



HAIR     A carving on a building in Sheffield City Centre, probably a Green Man, because of the naturalistic-looking hair.



MEASURE     a sundial set in the paving stones of the courtyard of the Upper Chapel, Sheffield - the shadow-casting object, probably a metal triangular blade, (gnomon) is missing.




LARGE     Large and small items were on sale when the Continental Market was set up in the city centre.



FOR ONE   When we go out for afternoon tea my husband prefers to drink coffee whilst I enjoy a pot of tea and a piece of home made cake such as this delicious carrot cake.





LANDSCAPE    View of the snow capped moors, the dales and hills around Holmfirth, Yorkshire from Holmfirth Vineyards which we visited on Easter Tuesday.

March has been a busy month, although there have been quiet times too. This post for Scavenger Hunt Photo Challenge has reminded me of some of what I did and saw during the month. Blogging has had to give way to other activities and family times and this will continue at least for the next month as I shall be taking a break.


22 comments:

  1. The sweet crisp pastries look delicious, and I like your interpretations for rock stairs - I would not have known what was meant by that either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos. That carrot cake looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The local spring park is wonderful, the landskape amazing and the decorative stairs shout ROCK! Beautiful photos Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have got me feeling very hungry now! But you can't beat a slice of cake after a bracing walk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those frappes look seriously tasty!!! You got some great rock stairs too! I'm just in my way to hopefully get some too!!! Off to Blencathra!x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos, I was impressed by the street art and loved the tiled floor at Chatsworth House.

    ReplyDelete
  7. they are all perfect for the prompts. love the for ONE and the Crisp.. ah food. love all the stone and the stone hair is great

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos as always, Linda you have found some wonderful things to photograph for March's topics. Love the steps and the street art and markets also the beautiful landscape view:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great answers for that interesting meme... I don't do memes --but if I did, I'd love the challenging ones like this.... NEAT!!!! Love your idea of 'crisp'... Very creative....

    AND--that carrot cake called my name. YUM.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi loving lots of your interpretations.I love your CRISP Italian desserts , the hair is a great one too and of course the cake,all the better when it's for one ,like my scone.:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always love seeing how creative you are with these challenges and I always learn more about you and your area.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooh that carrot cake looks soo delicious!! Have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you are feeling better very soon. What a lovely review. I love seeing it all from the crocus in the park to the stone steps and even the hair.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do hope you are feeling better Linda. I absolutely love your March scavenger hunt photos, you are very creative and your photos and captions are always so interesting. Have fun with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Linda! I love all the pictures, the yellow hats, the pastries looks delicious and we call them pastel! I have already made an online course in Sheffield, which I like very much. I love the sundial! Thanks for sharing the pictures! Is there a Scavenger Hunt for April 2016? I would like to participate. Wishing you a lovely week!

    Sandra xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Linda. I do you are over your flu and feeling better now. I loved all the takes on the words especially the wonderful spread of crocuses and tiles at Chatsworth. Pity that carrot cake is for one! Loved the 'hair' shot. Hope you have a great April.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an interesting, colourful display! I loved the crocus. I hope you feel better soon, enjoy your break and come back with a wealth of pics and stories.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. The carrot cake and those frappes....YUM! Stunning landscape shots.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really enjoyed your selection this month. Those pastries look delicious - I love to try traditional foods particularly if they're sweet! Chatsworth is on my list of places to visit. There was a 2for1 entry insert in one of the papers but I don't think I'll be able to get there in time to take advantage :( Hope you're feeling better. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bellissime immagini Linda, tantissimi complimenti, hai fatto delle scelte molto oculate, ho visto con piacere che hai incluso anche le frappe, non tutti sanno quanto siano buone. Un abbraccio
    Emi

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Linda! This blog post is brilliant! I love love love your photos. It looks and sounds like you have a lovely time! I hope you are enjoying April just as much!

    vvibrantsunset.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Linda,

    Sorry to hear that you have had the flu and do hope you are feeling much better now. I loved seeing your photos taken from the scavenger hunt - what fun. The field of crocus are so pretty and the carrot cake looks yummy and one of my favourite.

    Enjoy the weekend
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete