14 Jan 2016

An Italian hill town artist



I bought this hand painted plate during the last trip to Italy. We had seen it in the window of a shop and studio in a local town. Unfortunately the shop was closed at the time and as they had to travel home before we could all return I did so on another day.



The picturesque scene painted on this particular plate is based on a well-known courtyard in the old town and near the artist's studio.  As you look into the courtyard through the entrance gates you can see a fragment of a 1st century A.D. marble Roman calendar.  It recalls the feasts of the first three months of the year, the dies nefasti, that is, days in which business may or may not be conducted.



Whilst I was taking photos a resident came and took them on a tour of the newly restored medieval town hall as he thought they were tourists so I missed out on a visit.  Since we sometimes go to the town hall on business I'm sure there will be another opportunity to look around.


On my return to the shop I met the artist and her husband. I was invited into her little studio at the back of the shop and they were very happy for me to take photos.  Talking to artists about their work is not only interesting, but always makes a purchase special and more personal.






As I sit at my desk to write this I've glanced out of the window and see that fine snowflakes are falling, although it looks more like sleet than a heavy snowfall.
Whatever the weather is like where you are when you read this and whatever you're doing I wish you a good day.


11 comments:

  1. What an amazing studio, loved the plate. We have rain here but the temperatures have dropped quite a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That plate is amazing. I thought it actually was a courtyard picture and not a painting. A wonderful historic area to have their studio. Much inspiration around. So lovely that you were able to meet and visit with them. Thanks for stopping by my corner of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely courtyard plate and so nice you were invited into the studio that makes your purchase even more special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The plate is gorgeous and I know exactly what you mean about talking to the artist!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful plate and how wonderful to see the place depicted on it and to meet the artist too. I woke up at five this morning and saw it was unaturally light and so quiet I just knew it had snowed. Everywhere was white over but it had all gone by lunchtime:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely memento, and how kind of you to return to buy it. How great too that you got to meet the artist as well. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a talented lady she is, and how lovely that you actually got to meet her and see her studio and the way in which she works.
    They keep threatening snow, but nothing here so far.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the plates are so beautiful and I like the courtyard a lot.. the plate i like best is the one with the pansy's. looks like they have plates for everyone's taste.. people think i am a tourist a lot. because i snap things where ever i am. i have never seen anyone taking photos of normal things, just beaches and things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun to be invited back to the shop.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a talented lady, and such a fabulous little shop! I really enjoyed the scene on the plate, and seeing the venue.....the reflections were a little bonus too!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. The plate is lovely and I can see why your son wanted you to buy it for him. It captures such a fascinating glimpse of the long history of Italy with the courtyard and its fragments of Roman calendar. How interesting to be allowed to visit the artist's studio and take photos.

    ReplyDelete