11 Jan 2016

A visit to the ballet


It was cold and windy when we ventured into the city and theatre land on Thursday evening to see the ballet at the Lyceum Theatre. Before going out we had an Epiphany meal, which is a tradition in our home, (fresh tortellini, my husband's special tomato sauces and then tiramisu). As the audience took their seats it was evident that there was a full house for such a special tour of the St. Petersburg Classic Ballet Company. Of course photographs could not be taken during the performance, but our granddaughter took one of the company at the final curtain call.




The Lyceum is a beautiful theatre with an Edwardian auditorium.  There was a theatre on the site in the 19th century, but it was not until 1990 that the building was refurbished and reopened as a new theatre venue. It now attracts many national and international companies.

some of the official photos - dress rehearsal

Our daughters started ballet lessons at a young age and continued into their teens when other school studies took up more of their time. Above are some photos of the opera, Rimsky-Korsakov's 'The Snow Maiden' put on by Reading University Operatic Society.  A local ballet school took part as birds, flowers and tumblers.  It was a magical occasion and a good experience and there were many other opportunities to take part in similar productions.  Music and dance lessons filled our life after school for many years and our daughters still enjoy these interests.


On Friday I was back in town and took some more photos of Tudor Square at dusk.  There are three theatres in the square, the Lyceum, the Crucible and the Library Theatre. It's an area of the city centre I go to often as the Central Library, the Graves Gallery and the entrance to the Winter Gardens and the Millennium Art Gallery are in and near the same square.









18 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Linda! Sheffield has changed so much I would probably not recognise much of it any more, but good changes it seems and lots more culture. What a wonderful experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing the Nutcracker ballet was something that we used to do every Christmas, we preferred the ballet to a pantomine.
    My eldest granddaughter did ballet until her teenage years but had to drop it so that she could concentrate on her GCSEs

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Nutcracker is such a lovely ballet to see at this time of year. I'm glad you had a wonderful time and your meal before the performance sounds wonderful too. I've been to performances at both the Lyceum and the Crucible but not for a long time, I used to love visiting the Graves Art Gallery to look at one of my favourite paintings by Gwen John, I wonder if it is still there?:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a lovely time, I love the theatre but have no-one close by who shares my love so I just don't go so really enjoyed sharing your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the square and the theater are both beautiful. it is good you got the good seats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad that you enjoyed it so much! A real treat! Your Epiphany meal sounds wonderful too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The theatre is beautiful! I love watching Ballet! I was teaching my children in year 6 about Petruska by Stravinsky today and we were creating our own version of the music- I hope to watch a video of the ballet with them!x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Linda,

    How wonderful for you and your family to go out and enjoy the ballet and loved seeing your photos. The Nutcracker and Swan Lake were ballets that I used to enjoy going to see. Your meal sounds good that you had before going out and a nice tradition.
    The Lyceum Theatre looks like a wonderful old building.
    Happy week
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, Linda, I enjoyed hearing about your wonderful Epiphany meal and trip to the ballet. I was fortunate to attend The Nutcracker this year in Seattle with my daughter. It's wonderful that you have so many theaters to choose from and the experience of nurturing your daughters in the art of ballet. Hope you have a lovely week - thank you for stopping by! xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, Linda! What a lovely post!
    I hope you are the Linda P. that joined my blog recently. (Thank you!) I didn't find your blog through your profile on GFC, but fortunately a found a Linda P. on Amy's Five on Friday. :)
    Ci vediamo! Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sara, yes that was me! I think I might be difficult to find through my profile. I'll drop by your blog right now just in case you don't read comment follow-ups. Ci vediamo! Linda :)

      Delete
  11. It sounds like it was a wonderful production. We go to the theatre quite regularly but it's years since I've seen a ballet, I've been saying I must go again for quite some time though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi There, Happy Epiphany to you... Nice to hear what your traditional meal is... We don't have a traditional meal for Epiphany --but maybe we should start one. We always celebrate the 12 Days of Christmas between Christmas and Epiphany.. Most people in our country do NOT....

    The Ballet production and theatre look fabulous. So glad you got to attend.....

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Betsy. It's good to hear from you. I don't think there is a traditional meal for Epiphany. I served the pasta dish and dessert that the grandchildren enjoy most. In Italy Epiphany is not only marked in the church calendar, but it's also special to Italian children. La Befana (an old woman rather like Father Christmas) comes in the night and leaves the children small gifts or sweets.

      Delete
  13. How lovely Linda, your traditional meal...I would have enjoyed that too, and what fun to enjoy the ballet in such a beautiful setting. I am a huge fan of ballet and ballroom dancing....as a child I dreamt of being a dancer, sadly I have two left feet. Good to hear you have enjoyed having your family around.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's many years since I last went to the theatre to see a ballet, Linda, and your post brought back a lot of happy memories of performances I enjoyed in the past, including seeing Margot Fonteyn in Swan Lake when I was a student in the mid-60s. It must be good to live somewhere with so many cultural opportunities close at hand.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fortunate to have the three theaters so close. And the ballet sounds wonderful - and in such a fantastic setting!

    ReplyDelete