1 Dec 2015

November news and looking forward



On Sunday, which was the first Sunday of the Advent season in the church calendar, the first candle on the Advent Wreath was lit in church in the morning and in the evening we lit the Advent Candle in our home. This year I did not prepare an Advent Wreath, but instead we have a single candle which will be lit every evening up until Christmas Eve.  It's a tangible way of remembering the reason for celebrating Christmas during the days leading up to the festival. The flame dispels the darkness and is a positive and comforting symbol of  hope.
November also was a time of remembrance and reflection and was not an easy month as we had a bereavement of a close relative.  It was unexpected although we knew my uncle was seriously ill. My uncle, my mother's youngest brother, emigrated to Australia with his wife and young children. He was only 15 years and a few months older than me and as we lived with my grandmother during the first years of my life we formed a strong bond.  He was a kind and gentle person, a talented singer and pianist who taught me to play the piano.  I'm glad that my husband also knew him, his wife and her family and two of the three children before they emigrated.  We continued to keep in contact through letter writing and two cousins came to visit us in England. Distance can be difficult at such times, but I'm thankful that these days we can keep in touch with family members through the Internet and there are opportunities for those of the younger generation who can travel to see each other.    As for me I enjoy writing and receiving letters and notes and I'm sure that will continue, at least between the older members of the family.


                                              The roses are still blooming in the garden.

Due to the wet and windy weather I haven't been out walking and taking photos suitable to share and I'm still sorting out my Rome photos so I won't be posting those yet.
I've been to my usual group meetings where we've been planning events for fellow seniors in our church fellowship and I've also been to the cinema with daughter and granddaughter to see Suffragette which was well-acted and worth seeing. In fact, it was recommended to our granddaughter by her college tutor.  She went to London last month with other students on her course and stayed overnight so that they could visit University College and the Houses of Parliament. The group also went to the theatre to see the musical Mamma Mia!
We've seen more of our oldest grandson since he moved from the south of England to York where his other grandparents live. He's just done his annual climb of a mountain with his friends - this time Ben Nevis - to raise money for 'Save the Children'.  His two brothers still live at home and continue to enjoy their work in horticulture and hotel catering. The youngest works in a well-known London city centre hotel and last month was one of the 15 finalist of the 2015 British Culinary Federation's Young Chef of the Year competition which was quite an achievement for his first time competing against other talented young chefs.  We certainly enjoy his cooking although these days travelling into the capital and work duties take up much of his time and when he's off duty he likes to relax by going camping and fishing in a local lake.

28 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your relative dying xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your Advent candle. I like to light candles and I hate to wait to light ALL the candles in an Advent wreath.

    All the best as you move forward into December. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Linda. It's always hard and shocking to lose someone we are close to even though your uncle lived his life far away. Very sad for you. Love the advent candle - it is such a special thing to do each day in the run up to Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marianne. It's good to hear from you.

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry to hear your sad news, it's very hard at any time but I think it's especially so to lose someone close to you in the run up to Christmas. Lovely news about your grandchildren though, they sound a talented lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My thoughts are with you and your family. Also wishing you a peaceful and happy Christmas season. I look forward to continuing to enjoy your blog in 2016.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind thoughts. Thinking of you also.

      Delete
  6. your candle reminded me i have not played with candles and my new camera yet. sorry to hear of your loss and prayers for those left behind. sounds like you have had lots of family time which is good and anytime a relative can cook, that makes me happy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra. I hope your health is improving and I look forward to seeing your photos.

      Delete
  7. I love the single candle ritual and its simplicity. I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I am always so slow to sort through photos of trips. I do love Rome... Congratulations to your grandchild. xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all your kind comments Su.

      Delete
  8. So very sorry to hear about your Uncles death. He sounds like a wonderful man and uncle. My thoughts are with you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Linda,

    So very sad to hear of your Uncles passing and my sincere condolences go out to you and your family. The distance apart can make it seem so much harder. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.
    Lovely idea lighting the candle every night until Christmas and I love your pretty roses.
    Sending hugs and hope you have a great week
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn. I'm very thankful for your friendship. I'm thinking of you and all my blog friends also.

      Delete
  10. I am so sorry about the passing of your uncle – it is so hard to lose a loved one.
    I am impressed that your grandson is a finalist in the best young chefs of the year. That is quite an achievement. It is lovely for you to have grown grandchildren. We celebrated the 9th birthday of my oldest grandson and the others are 7, 4 and 2 – I wonder if I’ll live to see them grownup. Your candle is also very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vagabonde. Time spent with those we love is special. Blessings to you and your family.

      Delete
  11. So sorry your uncle passed away. I am sure he will be missed.
    What lovely flowers from your garden. There are no flowers now in my garden.
    Enjoy the advent season. xoxo Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marilyn for your thoughts and good wishes. A few roses continue to bloom as the weather is mild, but I've picked some to enjoy indoors as the rain is spoiling them.

      Delete
  12. I was saddened to hear of the loss of your uncle. It's not easy losing those we have loved. I love your advent candle reminding us that our savior has come to lighten our darkness and has granted us the joy of knowing that through him we will see our loved ones again one day. It sounds like you have been busy making some new memories with family and friends. I hope you will continue to enjoy this advent season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughts and I agree with the sentiments you express dear blog friend. Thinking of you and your family. The loss of your loved one this year must be ever present, but your faith will be a comfort I know.

      Delete
  13. So sorry to read about the loss of your dear Uncle and it is good that even though he was far away you always kept in touch with him and his family. We attended the funeral this week of my husband's aunt and godmother. Sad times but also many happy memories:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rosie. I'm sorry to hear of your recent loss. I hope the shared memories of your husband's aunt will be a comfort to you both.

      Delete
  14. So sorry to hear of your loss. It's lovely that you are still in touch with the rest of the family in Australia, the internet does help with the distance. I am amazed to see those roses, fancy still have them in bloom this late, how pretty they are!
    I loved Manna Mia, it's such a fun show. Congratulations to your oldest and youngest grandchildren, what a talented bunch they are!xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dina. I hope you've had a good week and look forward to hearing all your news at work and home in your next blog post.

      Delete