5 Jul 2015

The Gardens at Chatsworth (2)



The Kitchen Garden










The Summer house has a seating area with a table where visitors can sit down for a while.





Rambling roses are being supported by these chains and posts.
Redcurrant bushes grow against a stone wall (below) and other soft fruit bushes are under netting




Works of art, classical and modern, are placed around the grounds at Chatsworth reflecting the particular character of the area in the grounds.  The top half of this sculptural piece moves around in the breeze.


                                                            'Patty's Plum'



The wild flower area merges with the kitchen garden.




The Kitchen Garden at Chatsworth is on a grand scale since the cutting flowers, the fruit and the vegetables are used in the house and some produce is sold on site and in the farm shop.
Nearby is a small, enclosed plot that I believe might have been a show garden at a Royal Horticultural Society's Show one year (although I haven't researched this at the time of writing) and continues to be worked as a kitchen garden.  It represents an allotment that would have been common pre and during the second world war period when we were encouraged to use the land to grow our own fruit and vegetables and become more self-sufficient -  a movement that continues today.





click on above image of the information board to read about the WWII Anderson Shelter







I hope you enjoyed a further look around the kitchen gardens at Chatsworth without many words and just images.  This weekend we have our family here and yesterday we went out to a country inn for the 50th wedding anniversary meal and then a time at our daughter's for cake and sparkling wine. Later on today we shall be having lunch together.
I hope you're all having a good weekend. To all my American blog friends I wish you a belated 4th July and I shall be catching up on everyone's news, near and far, and responding to your kind comments soon.
Linda :)



31 comments:

  1. Chatsworth, I really have to visit that wonderful garden. So many wonderful photos I cannot choose a favorite. Funny statue of the boy sitting on a lion. Love 'Cleopatras needles' (Eremurus) , second photo with the Dianthus barbatus and .....they are all beautiful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for mentioning the names of some of the plants. I hope you visit Chatsworth some time in the future.

      Delete
  2. That is beautiful and inspiring. I love to see vegetables and flowers growing together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These kitchen gardens are inspirational and it shows what can be done even in a small plot. We grow tomatoes with the flowers in one corner of our garden because of limited space and the idea of growing vegetables, flowers, herbs together is appealing.

      Delete
  3. une bien sympatique visite
    c'est toujours un plaisir de venir voir ton billet
    bonnes fêtes de famille
    et joyeux dimanche
    tendresse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iris (Edith) and I hope you have had a good weekend also.

      Delete
  4. the only thing i can see wrong with the Anderson Shelter is no AC.. LOL.. love the little shelter and all those amazing plants. a really great idea to plant flowers and veggies side by side...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was interesting to see the Anderson Shelter and the small kitchen garden.

      Delete
  5. How beautiful. I love the potager idea and seeing flowers, herbs and vegetables growing in harmony. My Patty's Plum hasn't flowered this year and it looks very poorly - I hope I don't lose it. Hope you have had a wonderful weekend with your family, Linda:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a Patty's Plum, but it seems to have disappeared. I can see lots of little seedlings in a flower bed so hopefully we'll have some of that variety flowering next year.

      Delete
  6. It looks fabulous. I always veer towards the kitchen gardens whenever I'm garden visiting and I think they're always nicer when flowers are growing amongst the veggies, something I need to address at my allotment. How interesting that they've got an Anderson Shelter there, I remember a childhood friend having one in her garden, I was always fascinated by it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like to see these kitchen gardens as they're models of good practice and are inspirational. My friend and I used to play in an air raid shelter as children. It was in the garden of my grandparents' neighbours and shared between them. It was brick built with steps leading down into the ground and like a bunker. I think it was used to store coal in our day in the late 1940s.

      Delete
  7. First of all, congrats on 50 wonderful years together.. That is AWESOME.

    Loved all of your pictures from Chatsworth Gardens... WOW---what an awesome place. I love how they grow veggies and flowers along side of each other... NEAT.... I also spent some time going back to previous posts since I always enjoy your blog and your visits to so many gorgeous places...

    Have a wonderful celebration.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betsy. It's been another busy time with the family, but very enjoyable.

      Delete
  8. Lovely photos... and I hope that you had a great weekend with your family. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. It was a lovely weekend.

      Delete
  9. Hi Linda! The garden is so gorgeous!! All the flowers, fruits and vegetables are amazing!!

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sandra. The Chatsworth Kitchen Gardens are well tended. Seeing what was growing there was an interesting experience.

      Delete
  10. Congratulations again on 50 years. I still haven't been to Chatsworth but it is on my list of must visit places. Maybe we will get there over the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mitzi. I hope you can get to Chatsworth some time.

      Delete
  11. Happy 50th Wedding anniversary Linda. Your photos are a treat to see. This garden would be a place I would love to walk around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise. I'm sure you would enjoy Chatsworth if you're ever in this part of England although there are so many beautiful gardens you could visit.

      Delete
  12. What a treat this post was for my tired eyes!!! So many beautiful images to comment on, the Himalayan poppies are the jewel for me though, how gorgeous! I grew them once and they took years to flower then disappeared!xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a shame about the poppy! The same thing happened to my Patty's Plum! I hope you're getting some moments to relax this week, Dina!

      Delete
  13. What a wonderful garden. I love the Anderson shelter too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed this second post about the Chatsworth kitchen gardens, Marilyn.

      Delete
  14. Che spettacolo!!!!!!! Che belle immagini, come mi piacerebbe essere lì, impazzirei di gioia. Tantissimi auguri per l'anniversario di matrimonio. Bacioni
    Emi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grazie mille, Emi. Bacioni,
      Linda

      Delete
  15. I enjoyed it. Would love to sneak in and cut some of the flowers. And pop a few currants in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The birds were enjoying the redcurrants! They did look good. The rest of the soft fruits were covered by scaffolding and netting.

      Delete
  16. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! Although, I can't say I care much for the modern art piece in the midst of it all. Those shelters are interesting - doesn't seem like they would offer much protection!

    ReplyDelete