16 Feb 2015

Scavenger Hunt: February (2)


Scavenger Hunt is organised by Greenthumb (Made with Love blog) and it certainly makes me approach photography in a different way for the monthly challenge.  A link is at the bottom of my page - click on the button with the code.

This is my second attempt at the Scavenger Hunt and I'm using photos taken recently. My post is a little early as I shall be taking a blogging break at the end of this month and for most of March.

The list for February was:       flowers, love, number, something beautiful, your favourite colour, bird,
on the road, tap, price, heart, a corner of your home, whatever you want.


FLOWERS:
Spring flowers. The crocuses and snowdrops were seen in a woodland and the primroses were in some city centre planters (mid February).




  
LOVE:
Several treasured cards are tucked into my wedding album. They were given to me by my DH in the years before we were married when I was just twenty years old and the card below is one of the first, probably on my seventeenth birthday.  

      
  
NUMBER:  
A house number (and blue sky)! 



SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL:
The bag DD No. 1 gave me for Christmas, which I shall enjoy using on special occasions.  I shared only a small detail on the Scavenger Hunt for February (1).
             
              

YOUR FAVOURITE COLOUR:  
Blue (and a blue sky is a welcome sight to wake up to).



BIRD: 
 An owl decoration will brighten up those indoor pot plants.



ON THE ROAD:
A tram at Cathedral Stop in Sheffield city centre



TAP:
A  tap for outside use in the garden.



PRICE:
A cookery book,  published in 1946/7 cost 5/-      (5 shillings in old £.s.d. British currency before decimalisation in February 1971)
12 old pence = 1 shilling or a 'bob'  and a 5 shilling coin was called  'a crown'.



HEART:
I have quite a few chopping boards.  I use the heart-shaped one as a cheese board when
we entertain family and friends.




A CORNER OF YOUR HOME:
A corner of the Welsh dresser - the snowdrops are from our garden.



WHATEVER YOU LIKE: 
Patsy's Christmas Reflections: Learn to Cook By Pictures.  The recipe below is taken from the cookery book above, which was first published in 1946 and again in 1947 and would have been my mother's. My parents and I lived with my maternal grandparents during the years after WWII until I was about eight years old. (I was born in 1945). The grandparents had just sold their bakery business and moved into a large, newly-built house on their retirement and my mother and grandmother shared the kitchen. Rationing of food continued after WWII until 1953/54 and to supplement the restrictions my grandmother kept chickens, but I can remember powdered egg was also used because I spent a lot of time playing in the kitchen and observing my mother and grandmother as they cooked. As you can see from the comic strip the rationing system is reflected in the recipe as the cook had to use ingenuity, alternative ingredients and methods to ensure the family received an adequate diet.



31 comments:

  1. Hi Linda! I'm on my phone so only a quick comment to say thank you for your lovely comments over the weekend, I've been away at a swing dance weekend but I will try to get on my computer tonight to respond more in depth x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie. I appreciate your comments however brief! The swing dance sounds like a lot of fun and it's the sort of thing our daughter participates in so I know that you've been having a good weekend. :)

      Delete
  2. This scavenger hunt is a great way to make you think about the photos you're taking. Love that owl in the planter, how cute is he.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jo. Yes, the Scavenger Hunt certainly makes me even more aware of my surroundings!

      Delete
  3. They don't make cards like that anymore, so lovely that you kept it.
    Have a lovely blogging break - are you off to Italy? Whatever you do, have a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd definitely agree with blue as a favourite colour and especially a blue sky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly lacking at the moment - rather misty and grey here! :(

      Delete
  5. Lovely photos, Linda - especially the blue sky. Hope you have a lovely blogging break:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosie. Oh for some more blue skies here in the UK!

      Delete
  6. each photo is perfect for the hunt. the card is my favorite and the bird is 2nd... love your corner of your home and the heart in the kitchen... enjoy your break... i am taking a couple of days of to work on a to do list, think closets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get everything done, Sandra.

      Delete
  7. Nicely done, Linda! I found your "Learn to Cook by Pictures" fascinating! And what a sweet, sweet valentine card! Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise. Have a good week yourself! :)

      Delete
  8. The old cards are wonderful, so nice you still have them. And the bag, just beautiful. Your pictures are all lovely. Wish you a wonderful blogging break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janneke. I'm looking forward to our plans for March.

      Delete
  9. A treasury of lovely things you have Linda. Thank you for sharing them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My family history items are special. Having items scanned and stored on a memory stick and independent hard drive is a good thing, but real cards with the original writing are tactile and, therefore, treasured.

      Delete
  10. Love your collection of photos Linda. When we were 'courting' my then hubby-to-be gave me a card similar to the picture of your card. A few years later when we were married, I discovered that his mum had actually chosen and bought it for him. Oh well! It's the thought that counts as they say :) we're coming up to our 49th anniversary in April and I must say it's getting better all the time. I've still got my card as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your story about your future mother-in-law choosing and buying the card made me smile, Molly. After all these years together it doesn't really matter in the great scheme of things does it? And I'm sure you treasure that card.

      Delete
  11. A wonderful scavenger hunt! I loved the card, it's absolutely gorgeous, how sad they don't make them like that any more, I would have kept that as well! That bag is wonderful!!! I love it!
    Have a good break, I'll miss you.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds you had fun doing Scavenger hunt! I haven't heard about it before! I like the idea. The card is very sweet!

    thanks for sharing!

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed my scavenger hunt photos Sandra.

      Delete
  13. You are SO early with this! I am always scrambling about last minute. Hmmmm, must get on and doit! I love the chopping board photo and the view of the road in Sheffield.
    Thank you for your lovely comment on my 10 tips post. That was really thoughtful.
    I thought I'd leave you my reply here:
    Hi Linda. Thank you. Yes, I've been blogging almost 10 years! Hard to believe! I've never thought of deleting my blog and starting again, I love looking back over the years of what I wrote in the past. I don't regret any of it. Glad you got copies of them and you have continued to write. It's about the creativity and the interaction isn't it. As long as you have those, it's worth doing.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kezzie for your reply to my comment on your 10 blog tips post. You've been blogging for a long time and it's obvious from what you share you enjoy it. Yes, the creativity aspect is satisfying and the interaction with other bloggers is what makes blogging worthwhile.
      I've only posted the Scavenger Hunt early because I shan't have an internet connection at the end of the month
      or most of March so you've plenty of time to think about yours. Have a good week!



      Delete
  14. I've just discovered the Scavenger Hunt and found it most fun. I guess I posted early, too. Need to go back and read the directions.

    Enjoyed your Hunt. I especially love the heart cutting board. What an excellent way to love what you're doing while cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good challenge as it gets me thinking and it's fun to see what other bloggers have found to photograph. I've enjoyed seeing your set of photos for February. Have a good week!

      Delete
  15. I hope that you have a great time away Linda and enjoy the break. It is great that you are finding new ways and things to photograph through the scavenger hunt! That card from your dear husband is just beautiful!! Obviously a very lovely and romantic man! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The Scavenger Hunt challenges me to be more creative and is an approach to taking photos I was taught when I went on a photography course some time ago. It's good to try something different from my normal blogging. Have a lovely day and enjoy your blogging, Amy.

      Delete
  16. Really enjoyed your selection. The Valentine's card is so pretty and I love the owl. Loved the story behind Whatever you Like - you share the same birth year as my Mum. She and my Dad celebrate their golden wedding in October as well as her 70th in July - a big year! x

    ReplyDelete