11 Nov 2014

Angel's Trumpet




On our way back from our morning in Sora we stopped by the Fibreno, a tributary of the Liri, another river that flows through the area and is a good water resource for the farms thereabouts.   There are several garden centres that we've used in the past, but this time we didn't visit any despite being tempted to browse rather than buy! It's disappointing that I can't grow the flowering plants that I once did when living permanently in Italy. I have to be content with the shrubs that don't need much maintenance other than pruning, the rose bushes as well as the irises and bulbs that lie dormant until they flower in their season.


Walking over the bridge and past the house (above) I spotted a magnificent specimen of a flowering shrub, the brugmansia (angel's trumpet). It was very photogenic, but I've since read up about it and it's one that I wouldn't want to grow in my garden as apparently all parts of the plant are poisonous with the seeds and leaves being dangerous and the sap being an irritant.







Across the way is the 11th century Abbey of San Domenico which was built on the ruins of a country villa belonging to Cicero's family. (More about the monastery church next time).

The main entrance door of San Domenico Abbey


Today, as we remember the 100th anniversary of the Great War we continue to reflect and give thanks for our freedom due to the courage of those who served their country then and for all war veterans, past and present. It's difficult to put into words how I feel at this time due to my own personal sadness for the grandfather I never knew, killed in battle in France in December 1917 and who never knew my father born days beforehand, but I take comfort in knowing I share in the act of remembrance and gratitude that 'they died that we might live in freedom' with millions of others throughout the world.


  

13 comments:

  1. Fab post. I knew about Angel's Trumpet being dangerous, such a shame for such a lovely looking plant. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow on that carved door... so beautiful . the trumpets are gorgeous, something so beautiful and so deadly... of course they are not if we only look at them... teens here have killed themselves using them as a drug..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angel's Trumpet is a beautiful plant, but you do have to be careful when a plant's poisonous. A moving Remembrance Day post, your words can be echoed through so many families with relatives they never knew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the carved door. Such workmanship and fine detailing. Look forward to seeing more about the Abbey. Lovely tribute to your grandfather you never knew. P x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Angels trumpet is a wondrous looking flower...pity that it's so toxic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How heartbreaking that you never knew your grandfather and that he never knew his own son, what a dreadful waste of lives.....if only we could live in peace.

    I loved the angels trumpets, I have one in my garden and it actually has a couple of flowers breaking through, I didn't realize it was dangerous, I shall be wary of it now.
    I loved the door.....amazing!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. We will never forget people like your grandfather. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nature is amazing, how can something so delicate and beautiful be so toxic.
    So very sad about your grandfather. We owe our freedom to brave men like him.
    Jillxo (found you whilst bloghopping)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Angel Trumpet is a gorgeous flower Linda and the scenery quite spectacular. The Abbey is magnificent also and the door, what a work of art. We owe so much to our grandfathers don't we Linda? I never knew mine either. He survived WWI but spent a good deal of it as a POW, and due to subsequent ill health passed away log before I was born. I often wonder about him. Thank you for sharing this wonderful post and also for visiting mine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello
    chez nous cette plante on l'appelle " Dantura "
    elle est très toxique , elle existe aussi en jaune
    oui , nous avons été nous aussi dans des souvenirs douloureux
    il ne faut pas oublier , ils ont tellement souffert tous ces jeunes soldats
    tués au tout début de leur existence
    tendresse
    edith (iris)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful plant, but only from a distance. I'm sad that your grandfather never knew his son and grandchildren and they him. My mother was born in 1916 when my grandfather was serving in France and she too could so easily have grown up fatherless. I'll now look forward to your post on the Dominican Abbey.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't realize I was behind so many posts, Linda! I have not been keeping up with making my rounds to my favorite blogs. Sounds like you had a lovely time in Italy, and the scenery certainly is very pretty. Thanks for your comment. I'd trade our local wildlife for some darling little hedgehogs! :O) Also, your kitchen in Italy is immaculate! And all that beautiful produce ... You should see what passes for produce here! Have a delightful week and weekend! Bess

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a shame that such a beautiful plant is so unpleasant!

    ReplyDelete