23 Jun 2014

Summer days



On our way back from one of our days out we stopped at Haggler's Corner for a cup of tea.
It's a building we often pass on our way through town in an area where there are lots of 
interesting individual businesses; cafes, co-operative art venues, second hand and antique shops.
You can't help noticing Haggler's Corner.




The cup of tea and the musical trio made for a very welcome break.



What interested me most was the wall painting in the cafe courtyard of Granelli's shop that sells old fashioned varieties of sweets and home made ice cream. The old shop still stands and it's one I noticed when we first visited the city of Sheffield and wondered about the Italian community living here. Then I met a lady, now a good friend, at a family history course whose great grandparents were Italian immigrants who settle in the city and she's told me some interesting tales about the early days. If you're interested you can read more about the Italians who lived in Sheffield's 'Little Italy' in the C19th and C20th century here. Some were skilled artisans making terrazzo mosaics for floors and walls in important city buildings and others were street vendors who sold their wares to the theatres and music hall audiences and later established businesses such as an ice cream saloon in the city centre.   
I haven't been to the shop as it's a little out of my way, but the Granelli family sells ice cream in the new covered market in the city centre.  We're having some warm weather at the moment and just right for enjoying some specially-made Italian ice cream so I might check out the market stall there. Alternatively a quiet time sitting in the garden with a bowl of strawberries (not our own, as yet) might be a good idea. I shall enjoy the new plants and plant pots we were given recently and those that we bought after a visit to a couple of our local garden nurseries at the weekend. 
















22 comments:

  1. Hi Linda,
    I've been out of the blog-reading loop for awhile. I have nothing to post either...anyway, I was interested in hearing about your wedding anniversary and wondering which one it was. This year will be our 50th anniversary so I'm paying attention to such things...enjoyed the words "Haggler's Corner" ...as if a whole lot of bargaining goes on there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Becky. It was our 49th wedding anniversary this year! Glad to hear from you!

      Delete
  2. It's all so picturesque! Gorgeous photos. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haggler's Corner looks such a fascinating place to visit, I'd love to sit in the courtyard drinking coffee and listening to music. Yes, I've got the same problem with blogger it was as usual this morning but this evening I have just one new blog post listed - yes, it was yours:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haggler's Corner is an interesting place to drop in for a coffee and to see what else is going on there.

      Delete
  4. I am having the same blogger issue, I thought that it was just me, so I am glad to know that I am not the only one. I am sure that it will get fixed, but it does make everything take longer doesn't it! The wall paintings at Hagglers Corner are amazing, so detailed and so much fun in them too! What a lovely place it must be to stop and look around and have an ice cream. Your flowers are all looking lovely, especially the lilies they are an amazing colour Linda! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment, Amy. These technical problems with Blogger do slow things down. Time for a break in the garden, I think!

      Delete
  5. What an astonishing place, I do like all the murals and it must have been so good drinking tea and listening to the band. A real Aladdin's den!!! Some beautiful plants too.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Linda,

    I enjoyed seeing your photos and what a fun place Hagglers Corner is, the murals on the buildings are great.
    Your garden is looking really beautiful and you must be enjoying the gorgeous summer weather - love the thought of eating strawberries out there.
    Happy week
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Linda it seems to be all 'happening' over there in Yorkshire. Hagglers Corner looks like a most interesting place. Your garden looks beautiful and I love your little gargoyle. Thank you so much for visiting and your lovely comments. I shall do my best to have some photos before the weekend. Much love, Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  8. The wall art is fabulous and so is your garden, everything blooming in the sunshine. How interesting to hear about the Italians who lived in Little Italy, I should imagine that Sheffield has quite an Italian community with roots going back to those who lived there in the 19th and 20th centuries.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, I tried to comment here yesterday and couldn't. Working now. Isn't it wonderful when the seasons change and we get out and see sights that we might have passed on a less pleasant day. Enjoyed this visit with you. The flowers - oh, my. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for visiting and leaving a comment (if you're able to leave one) especially as there are some technical problems with Blogger at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Linda, your photos are beautiful! Your post is making me smile. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the mural in Hagglers' Corner---would love to go to sweet shop for sweets and esp. ice cream.
    Gorgeous flowers in your garden. Serenity resides there in your garden. :>)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun day out! The mural is beautiful and really makes the courtyard interesting -- not that having a live band and food and drinks on a beautiful sunny day isn't of interest itself.... And your flowers are looking great. What a wonderfully deep red that lily is, and such a delicate rose. It looks like Blogger might have fixed the reader issue, which afflicted me yesterday too -- I'm glad I finally saw that you had posted again and could read your post. Thanks again for another armchair visit to England's spots of interest! -Beth

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to pass Hagglers Corner everyday on my way to work. The Antiques trail in Sheffield is well worth following when you have time. ANNE X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment, Anne. Welcome. You've got me interested in returning to that area of Sheffield to have a browse in some of those antique shops there! :)

      Delete
  15. Your flower garden is so lovely - thanks for sharing the photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh a beautiful garden, Italian ice cream, and a stop for tea and music at Haggler's Corner all sounds just delightful.
    It is raining here, so I will enjoy the sunshine on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haggler's Corner looks like a fascinating place to stop for a really good cup of tea and something interesting to look at, Linda. As for your garden, as always it's looking wonderful, especially in those lovely sunny pictures.

    ReplyDelete