9 Jun 2014

Bradfield Dale in the rain



Last week was a mostly 'stay-at-home' one due to a need to wait in for some deliveries so the plan was to go out today and this is what we did.   However, there had to be a change of direction as the distant hills we were travelling towards looked very misty, the skies looked black and we realised we would be heading into a heavy rain storm. We decided it wasn't the right weather to spend time in the countryside and turned back home through Bradfield Dale. Despite the rain I managed to take some photos - most of them through the car side window when we stopped to look at the scenery.  The wild rhododendrons add some colour to the rather hazy images, but I'm also reminded this is often the kind of weather that we get in the hills and dales.



The rhododendrons seem to have been planted as hedges around the Sugworth Hall estate many years ago to give shelter against the wind and rain.  They do look impressive although my cousin when we brought her and her husband along this way commented that in Wales where my aunt lives they are becoming  too invasive.




Sugworth Hall and Boot's Folly. The building was constructed in 1927 by the owner of Sugworth Hall, Charles Boot, probably to give locals some employment during the economic depression using local stone.




There are always horse riders, walkers and cyclists about and the rain doesn't deter them.



This is the farm that I sometimes feature as a header with Agden Reservoir in the distance.


Edgefield Monument built in the mid 19th century over a natural spring water source



From the Heights there's a good view of the village of Low Bradfield and the steep, winding lane leading up to High Bradfield which will be one of the challenges for the cyclists competing in Le Tour Yorkshire- Grand Depart 2014 to be held next month.


 Damflask Reservoir, (our local reservoir), the reservoir keeper's lodge house and a corner of the garden.


17 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place. I would love to walk there. Thanks for your visit to my blog, thus leading me to your lovely photos here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen so many rhododendrons growing in the wild. We had an awful storm today, thunder, lightening and torrential rain, I was quite glad to be home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to be a reservoir keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It shows that the landscape around you is so beautiful, because the beauty shines through even though the sun was not shining! Lovely to see so many beautiful flowers on the rhododendrons. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely fantastic photos, Linda! You have an eye for what makes a pretty picture, and you're able to capture the beauty and serenity of a place so well. Gorgeous rhododendrons! We are having a very rare mostly gentle rainy day here (although it's windy). We usually get our rain in the form of severe weather and downpours so this rain is a treat and so needed. Blessings, Bess

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Linda - your photos are so gorgeous! Does one ever get used to looking at such beauty? I can't imagine rhodys ever being invasive. They don't grow real well here, probably a little to cold during the winter, but yours are absolutely divine.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm there, in my dreams. We often see the weather heading over the dales, today it was dark and stormy. Love your photos. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow----I'm impressed with that area. So glad you all got out since you took some fantastic photos. What a fabulous place---all of that area... I got stuck looking at the Rhododendrons... WOW---so beautiful!!!! Thanks for sharing such beauty for us..
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even in the rain your landscapes are magnificent, Linda. you're right about the way the common purple rhododendron is become an invasive pest on part of Wales. Last week I drove past entire hillsides which have become overgrown with them and though they look wonderful at this time of year, they are very bad for the land and hard to get rid of.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photography ... beautiful countryside ... and I wouldn't mind th misting a bit! hahaha. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just stunning sights! It is hard for me to imagine rhododendrons being invasive, but I must say that is quite an abundance of them.
    They are gorgeous! The other sight are also just beautiful! I think I could just stop and watch the beauty for a very long time here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love to see rhododendrons but I have heard that they are becoming invasive. At our local Trentham Gardens they have spent all winter and spring hacking them out of the woodlands and I do miss them but other plants are now flourishing on the forest floor. Your photos are lovely and atmospheric:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning scenery even in the rain. I was speaking to a Welsh farmer yesterday who told me that he lost all his rhododendrons in the hurricanes we had this winter, so nature has her way of stopping plants becoming invasive maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well now, I feel like I have visited a very lovely area of Yorkshire this morning! Thank you for the pictures. So happy to have discovered your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your photos are lovely - they have a misty magic to them - beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an atmospheric post, some stunning pics here, I would love to walk around there, rain or not. Thanks for sharing.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Isn't it always the way. When you have to stay in, the weather is great but on the one day you decide to go out it changes for the worse. Happens quite often here too. However, it didn't stop you from enjoying some beautiful scenery albeit in the damp and misty weather. Your photos give a wonderful insight into the countryside around you. I love Rhododendrons.

    ReplyDelete