27 Jun 2014

An evening stroll



       One evening recently we went over to Castleton in the Hope Valley
       and had a walk around the quiet streets as there were few people around.
We parked by St. Edmund's Church near the Market Place
    where there's a view of the ruins of Peveril Castle high up on a hill. 



We walked along the path by the millstream towards Peak Cavern
before returning to the main street, Castle Street.
Most of the shops were closed, but there were window displays
to look at including the jewellery and other ornamental items crafted from the Blue John
(bleu et jaune) stone, the beautiful dark purple/'blue' and yellow veined and banded
 fluorspar mineral that has been mined in the Castleton caverns since the C18th.
  










There are eating places in old buildings all with an interesting history.


Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese Inn was one of the earliest ale houses in Castleton.
It was a regular stopping place for horses and riders transporting salt
from the county of Cheshire and the payment for a stay would be in the form
of Cheshire Cheeses. 




We sat for a while before driving back home, 
stopping by Lady bower Reservoir where it was very peaceful by the water....




.....although looking over the stone wall by the dam a bell mouth overflow,
one of two, looked very strange in the growing twilight. 




When we've been here before it has looked very different.


There are several Open Garden events this weekend in our locality where villages are opening gardens to the public. The one at Castleton is called 'Castleton's Secret Gardens'. There's a similar event nearer to where we live so I might go along.

17 comments:

  1. That area is so beautiful, the scenery, the bell mouth in the twilight, thenhistoric houses and even the shop window displays,. So English the afternoon tea display in the window I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a lovely part of the country isn't it. I used to drive this way quite often and the scenery was stunning. We did stop on the odd occasion when we were come across to the Wolds house hunting. Not been over that way for a while now. Your photo's are lovely and a nice reminder of how beautiful that are is in the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're so lucky to have such beautiful surroundings, aren't we? I often think that places take on a different feel in the evening without the hustle and bustle of the day. Definitely worth visiting places as they wind down for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is such a beautiful place, the window of the tea shop is especially pretty. As Jo says, it is nice to visit at the end of the day when it is quieter and you can just wander as you like. The reservoir is amazing, I have never seen how the water goes down like that! Fascinating. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love being an armchair tourist on your outings! I don't know how long it will be before I get to England in person, but this is almost as good -- although I don't have the opportunity to give into the temptations of those wonderful window displays with the delicious-looking goodies! Thanks again, Linda. -Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really where having too much fun Linda. Oh I love those solid Yorkshire houses, and spotted some tasty looking fudge in one window. Thank you for taking us along. I did enjoy it. Thank you so much for your lovely comments, they are greatly appreciated. Wishing you a wonderful weekend, love Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another beautiful walk. The shops look so fun to visit, especially that bakery and love the glass in the window.
    All the water is just lovely. How interesting to have a bell run-off like that. I have never seen anything quite like it.
    Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those looming hills in the background. You always share with us the most lovely countryside. Would you be willing to tell me where you live so I can find it on a map and then follow you on your journeys? Maybe I could learn a little more about the lay of the land and where things are.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy. I usually put the name of the village or area on my labels so if you use Google Maps you can find a place quite easily. For example, this post is about Castleton in Derbyshire.

      Delete
  9. I'm so in love with the old stones...can't get enough of them! Wish we had some old stones around here! I especially like the rough and sturdy textures paired with the delicate faces and colors of flowers. Thanks for more beauty to my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have such wonderfully interesting and beautiful places to walk!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Linda,

    Lovely to see photos from your beautiful part of the world - loved seeing all your wonderful photos.
    The houses are so charming and love the little tea shop. We have one of the brass Welsh lanterns that the coalminers used to use, so I was excited to see them hanging in the window.
    Hope you are having a lovely weekend
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so want to visit the Cheshire Cheese. Another one for my list. Thanks for sharing your walk again Lynda. X

    ReplyDelete
  13. How very quaint! I just love these water pics.
    I am fascinated by the storm lanterns, I bought one last year at a car boot sale, it cost a fortune and when I got it home it turned out to be a replica, I was most miffed!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really enjoyed your evening outing and your photos are beautiful, Linda. Very peaceful and such an attractive place.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know this area so well and loved your photos as a great reminder.

    ReplyDelete