8 May 2014

Bradfield Dale



Last Saturday we took advantage of the good weather and spent the morning in Bradfield Dale with lunch sitting outside in the sunshine at The Strines Inn which is nestled in a hollow on the edge of Strines Moor. The colours of the landscape with the mix of pasture, rough grass, bog and moor dotted with deciduous trees and patches of pine plantation change with the seasons. At this time of the year there are softer hues as many of the trees come into leaf, but there is still a contrast between the green, hilly pastureland, the dark pines and the sombre, rock-strewn moorland ridges covered in dried grasses, heather and other scrubby bushes. 



Our usual route is to drive along Ughill Edge from Low Bradfield, passing Boot's Folly on Sugworth Edge and the 17th century Sugworth Hall, with later additions to the house, doing a U-turn near Moscar Moor and then driving along Strines Moor Edge to the inn on the road that can be seen in the middle distance of the photo below.
On the near side of the valley are more grouse moors and above us Gibraltar Rocks stand out as a landmark. Here and there trees have been planted to give some shelter around an isolated farmstead on Ughill Heights one of the few on this stretch of the single-track road, otherwise there are few trees on these windy ridges.


Gibraltar Rocks

The cross in the distance on the above photo marks the area we were heading for on Strines Moor.
(This was taken last year in April when we had had unseasonal snow and bad weather).  We go this way frequently from where we live in order to cut across to Ladybower Reservoir and into the Derbyshire Peaks. That day was an interesting drive.  I do like the bleakness of the moors in the Autumn, Winter and early Spring seasons, although when the sun shines on the string of reservoirs in the area, the sky is blue, you can hear the cry of the birds, such as the curlew, and notice other wildlife it's also rather special.

Jacob Plantation with Bamford Edge (Part of Stanage Edge) in the distance






The field beside and behind the Strines Inn is an enclosed sheepfold.


'Strines' is an Old English word (strynds) for a stream or rivulet and these flow off the high ground of the moorland making some of the lower areas very boggy around the Strines Reservoir.




                                                    How do I get down there?
  

The water course has formed a good place for the sheep to come down to have a drink and a stray duck seems to be enjoying the experience too.



Underneath a tree by the stone wall and the watery scene someone had placed a white stone inscribed with the word 'Tranquility'. 


17 comments:

  1. Tranquility indeed. Gorgeous views. I thought that sheep was stood on the back of another sheep at first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father used to take us up to Lady Bower Reservoir when I was small and sometimes if the water was low you could see the clock tower from Derwent village church which was flooded to make way for the reservoir. I believe that eventually the tower was demolished as it was considered to be a hazard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Troppo belle queste immagini:un senso di pace, di serenità.............le tue passeggiate sono sempre super. Un grande abbraccio
    Emi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the sheep and the pastoral nature of your pictures. The sheep made me think of a song my mother used to sing, "Sheep May Safely Graze"

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. "Sheep May Safely Graze" is from a cantata by Bach... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The word Tranquility certainly fits in with all your wonderful photos. What wonderful weather you had too - such a contrast to what is expected this weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Linda,
    It's me again. I was wrong about my mom singing Sheep May Safely Graze...that was something my father played on the organ. The song I remember my mom singing was "He Shall Feed His Flock" by Handel :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The wind is blowing here today while I am reading your post Linda, so I imagine the wind blowing while looking out over the beautiful views that you shared and it makes me feel as if I was right there with you. It is amazing to be able to look out and see so far and for it all to be so lovely. Thank you so much for sharing your little journeys with us, there is always something so pretty to see. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photos...isn't it funny how because it is still quite early in the season you can imagine some of the photos being taken towards the end of summer with the yellowing and dried grass.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhhh, what a beautiful place, I love the isolation and really enjoyed the sheep and the butterfly pics. What a fab little keep too.
    The little stone at the end has me smiling.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love the photos of your wonderfully bare, bleak and beautiful landscape, Linda. You were lucky with the weather. Here we've had a lot of heavy showers since the beginning of May.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Linda, I could see myself SO enjoying this walk!!! What beautiful views, and the animals are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos Linda. Lovely rugged countryside, such as I would expect to see in Wuthering Heights. I especially love the picture with the cows. Absolute perfection.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. A delightful post Lind, those photos are gorgeous! The stone you found says it all :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness "Tranquility", how very perfect.
    Whenever I visit you and see the sights they take me
    to the images I have in my mind when I read fiction that
    takes place in England. So beautiful with the green
    hills and sheep.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the countryside -- your photos are beautiful. The white stone provides a perfect description of the area you visited.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful country! I love the sheep!

    ReplyDelete