6 Nov 2013

A neighbourhood walk


This magnificent silver birch caught my attention when I went for a walk in our neighbourhood last Sunday afternoon. It's growing and flourishing on land which, until recently, was the grounds of a small secondary school, but in the last year the buildings have been demolished except for the sports hall. The area is being developed as a community sports facility and now the trees can been seen and appreciated as part of the landscaping.



During the last year the demolition work has been an upheaval, but now there's an open area where the buildings stood and new tennis courts. Other spaces are planned which will benefit the community. The students have been moved to two other secondary schools, which has not been popular with all parents. However, the primary school has been retained.


Any bright colour is welcome during a week of mainly grey skies and the natural red trunk and branches of this tree and the Autumn leaves of the other against the blue and yellow paint of the sports hall stood out without any need to enhance the photo.

Walking is my way of getting some exercise and relaxing the mind at the same time.  It hasn't been easy to find quiet times this week for various reasons, but even a short afternoon walk is always beneficial.




11 comments:

  1. Walking for sure is great exercise and it does relax the mind!!!!! Love it! Great walk you took, Linda. Love that big birch tree….And the colors in the last one are beautiful.

    Have a great day.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks as though it will be a great space for the community to use, and the trees will be well appreciated I'm sure. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the last shot with the brilliant blue! Walking is always the best thing for the body,mind,and spirit, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to do what you do and just get out and walk... it is a way to get exercise and it's so very beautiful there I'd want to walk all of the time!! The trees are awesome!!
    Much love,
    Tammy xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such gorgeous colours in that last photo. I find that having a dog makes me get out and walk, I know I wouldn't get as much exercise if I didn't have him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Walking is good exercise! I find it helps you think things through and is also calming too. I love the red of the trees against the blue building. I do hope the trees will be incorporated into the new community spaces:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. my first ever tree with a red trunk, it is beautiful and so is that magnificent sky in the top photo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love to see silver bitch, I have a few in my garden and simply love their trunks, that one is a beauty....and a BLUE sky eh????? Gosh! I love the colours in the fourth picture. I agree about walking, it also gives us a chance to think.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the silver birch is my favourite of all the trees, although it's a close call. I love them particularly when the leaves have been stripped and the beauty of the structure is revealed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed your walk Linda and I love those trees, what beautiful colours. I try and walk most days if I can, although I'm a fine weather walker I have to say. Don't mind cold, or snow, or even wind in moderation but rain - no way! It's not been too bad weather wise here in Essex, the occasional shower or two but hopefully a good weekend.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  11. The silver birch is one of my favourite trees, Linda, and it looks gorgeous against the bright blue sky. How nice to have such an attractive walk close to home.

    ReplyDelete