21 Oct 2013

'The Angel of the North', Gateshead, Tyne and Wear

                                                                        Photo: 2011

We've driven passed Antony Gormley's now familiar sculpture 'The Angel of the North' several times in recent years when travelling to and from Northumberland but never taken a closer look. Our friend who was driving us to Alnmouth suggested we did just that and we readily agreed.  Nothing prepares you for the scale of the sculpture until you get close to it. Reading the information at the site about the sculptor's choice of image and location, the construction, transporting and installing of it was thought-provoking. I thought of the coal mining industry of Co. Durham and Tyneside and of those members of my own family on my mother's side who in past generations had worked in coal mines in towns north of Newcastle-on-Tyne.  





                                    Standing on the mound by the sculpture is my husband.





                                                  I'm standing near the base of the sculpture.




14 comments:

  1. I have seen several of Gormley's works, although not this one, and they are very powerful pieces. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. from afar it looks like a man trying to turn into an airplane, but the up close details show it is amazing art... and the size is overwhelming.... and powerful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, previously, I've only ever driven past it. It isn't until you see people standing at the foot that you really appreciate the scale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, it's huge! Well, I knew it was big but when you see people standing under it suddenly you get an idea of just how large it is. Like you I've passed it many times on various trips but next time, we'll make the effort and go pay a visit. Thanks. Suzy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen this, but obviously know of it. It certainly puts in to perspective how big it is when you see people stood beneath it. I would love to see Gormley's Another Place on Crosby beach, what I've seen of it really speaks to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way the angel keeps appearing as you drive along the A1 but you do need to get up close to really appreciate the scale of the it just as you did.
    Anthony Gormley has a very unique style which is what I admire about him - his work is very recognisable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love this angel and have only ever driven past it so it was great to see close up images of it. Some wonderful pics there.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your photos Linda. I too have only seen The Angel from afar. Anthony Gormley is a favourite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's very impressive! I like the sculptor's explanation of his piece and I love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda, what a great series of photos! The sculpture is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never seen it! The size and scale must be overwhelming when you are close to it, we are hoping to go up thay way again perhaps next year and I would definitely like to stop and take a look:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never heard of this sculpture. Quite impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful, thank you for sharing. I have never been to that part of the UK..but would love to see this. Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for this, Linda. We pass the Angel from time to time as we drive up the A1 to Scotland, but never have time to stop and visit. The information on how it was constructed and firmly secured is really fascinating,. The stresses on the structure in high winds must be enormous, but I doubt it will ever shift an inch.

    ReplyDelete