18 Oct 2013

Arts and Books



October is the time for the annual literary festival in the city.  I usually go to some of the daytime events or an evening event if it's a speaker that appeals and I went along to the Book Swap in the Winter Garden supported by Oxfam.  I took six books and swapped them with six others that happened to be there at that particular time and that I felt I might enjoy.  You never know what will be available and I would rather browse in a library or charity shop than buy new unless it's something that I really would like to read when newly published in hardback.  It's rather ironic that some of my interests, reading, the visual arts and blogging, depends on good eyesight when that's not the case.  I'm so grateful that my unstable condition hasn't got worse in the last year and new prescription glasses have made me feel more confident when out walking.

After a time in the Winter Garden I went to a meeting organised by a group that is campaigning for more of the the city's art collections and services to be more widely available to all, especially in connection with providing art appreciation events and educational support to young people, despite the economic cuts that have meant limited hours of opening or even threatened closure for some city venues.

Anyway, here are some more images from last Saturday in and around the Winter Garden and in the next week or two I shall probably be looking back at times in the last year that I haven't included on my blog, especially as I find it difficult to take satisfactory photos when the light is poor on dull days and I feel less inclined to do so.  Although this blog is supposed to be a record of recent events - and it's good to celebrate that - there are other experiences that I want to blog about and so I hope you will join me and enjoy some more aspects of my life, past and present.

 
Drumming up interest

As well as the Book Swap there was
a reading with drama for children and students
also read their own work.


What's this?
A new mobile made of thin steel with motifs and words.
I think the work depicts some of the industrial buildings
in the city.  


It was difficult to photograph. I've used an editing programme
 to get a better idea of some of the detail
 and will go back to find out more about this piece of art work.





Some of the detail on seating and street art in Tudor Square


Tudor Square on a sunny Autumn day 2012


22 comments:

  1. What a great event, and the book swap sounds like a wonderful idea. I share your feelings for autumn, it's the dull days which get me down, we've had them all this week. It's so depressing having to have a light on all day long. Hope your grandaughter is feeling better, I don't think these damp days will help her breathing problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall enjoy the books I chose. Thanks, Jo, for your good wishes for our grand daughter whose feeling a little better.

      Delete
  2. I hope that things are looking up for the weekend and next week, and that you enjoy the books that you swapped. The photos of the bench with the leaves are lovely, very evocative of autumn. Keep smiling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. I hope the coming days are good for you too.

      Delete
  3. that mobile is amazing and also the glass roof it is hanging from.. love the green leaf on the wood. my eyes are my best loved part of me to and I am thankful glasses keep me seeing... i used to swap paper backs at the flea market, but I got 1 book for 3 turned in, or we could buy at very cheap prices...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Sandra. Good to hear from you. There's always some event going on in the Winter Garden and adjoining gallery. It's a great setting for pieces of art. Have a good weekend whatever you're doing.

      Delete
  4. Hi Linda, I love the green leaf and mobile! My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Linda, for your kind thoughts. I appreciate hearing from you and send my love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. les livres , je ne sais plus ou les mettre , ils s'entassent dans tous les coins de la chambre et du bureau ::::
    j'espère que votre petite fille va se remettre très vite
    et que vos yeux vont se reposer
    doux weekend
    tendresse
    edith (iris) France

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of book swapping! Whatever you blog about will be received and read with great interest, so blog about anything that you want to and it'll be fine by me for sure. Suzy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great festival for the city. Thank you for sharing the photographs, I am keen to visit! Sorry to hear your granddaughter has been so poorly and hope she continues to recover and thrive now she is back at school.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Firstly, I do hope your grandaughter is well again soon, there are so many virus things around at the moment as I know to my cost as I am still recovering from one myself. Like you most of my hobbies are depended on my eyesight which has never been great, I've worn glasses since I was seven years old, I hope yours continues to stay stable. The book swap sounds like a great idea! I have a litttle 'book swap' going with a neigbour and we loan each other books or give to pass on to others. Such a good idea:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear your granddaughter is well after her bout of ill health. Glad you were around to take care of her. You must be a source of great relief to be close by. A lovely series of photographs too, all very enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Once more thank you everyone for your good wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your ordinary week events.
    Yes, being available for grandchildren is so special.
    I will be with my little one for awhile today.
    Book exchange, oh how I would love that. I spend way
    too much on books, though I try to buy used.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some lovely, interesting images there. I hope you enjoy your swopped books and I'm pleased to hear your granddaughter is feeling better, there's nothing worse than struggling to breathe.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely selection of photos to go with your post, I share your feelings re Autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That mobile is amazing! I'm with you about autumn (although ours are generally not rainy, it's more the cold and a chance of snow at any time). I really try to do everything I can to enjoy the good things about it and ignore the fact that winter's coming. Your literary festival is just the thing to help take a person's mind off that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Linda,

    How wonderful that you went to a book swap - love this idea. I enjoyed seeing your beautiful photos - the Wintergarden looks like an amazing place to hold events like this and enjoyed seeing the mobile and the wooden seating with the Autumn leaves.
    Sorry to hear your grand-daughter has been unwell and do hope that she will be feeling better.
    Sending hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bellissima questa manifestazione, é stupendo scambiarsi libri. Complimenti per le belle immagini, ti auguro una bella settimana
    Emi

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just because you started your blog as a record of recent events doesn't mean it has to stay that way, Linda. Retrospective posts, including posts about times long gone are equally interesting to me, at least. I love the idea of a book swap, though I will admit to being very bad at letting books go, even when I acquire more. :-)

    ReplyDelete