14 Oct 2013

A return to Castleton, Derbyshire

                                                                 Winnats Pass, Castleton

Since our weekend away at the end of September we've been staying closer to home.  We enjoyed the visit from our grandson and heard about his weekend in Cumbria with some friends.

                                    Photo taken of eldest grandson whilst walking in Cumbria.

The weather had turned mainly wet and windy, but this didn't deter us from going over to the High Peaks area again and since we're always going there I've added some photos from other times.



Before we went into Castleton we drove up through Winnats Pass to show our grandson and his girlfriend something of this amazing passage through the limestone rocks.  (Photos taken in summertime). Then we drove back down to the village


It was interesting to see the old photo on the information board on the green in the market place and compare it with today. I think it must have been taken before the Great War since the war memorial is not there.





     The War Memorial


Looking towards Win Hill and the Vale of Edale 






We walked up the lane towards Cave Dale and then back to the main street. 








Back on the main street we took a look at the small shops that sell items of jewelry made from the semi-precious blue john mineral produced in their workshops and mined in Castleton.
It's also possible to visit several show caverns.

                                    






The wealthy once commissioned large ornaments made from blue john 'stone' and these would grace their stately homes.  These items above can be seen in the grand dining room at Chatsworth House in Derbyshire.


19 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning!!
    I would to love to live in greenery like that! The before and after photo is so neat! Im glad you had a good time with your family.
    Have a good week,
    Tammy xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely stunning!!
    I would to love to live in greenery like that! The before and after photo is so neat! Im glad you had a good time with your family.
    Have a good week,
    Tammy xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I really like the pieces of blue john, very interesting to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beautiful area. I've never heard of blue john before, interesting. I love looking at old photos of places, there's a great site on the internet with so many photos of 'old' Leeds, I've used quite a few of them when putting my family history together. There's even a photo on there of the house where my dad was born, long since demolished. Glad you had a good time with your grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos of Castleton, always a favourite place. Last time we drove down Winnats Pass we were up above the mist and drove down into it - it was quite a sight. I love the old photo taken before the building of the War Memorial:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos! We have friends in Derbyshire but I have never seen it really. It's another gorgeous area of England I would like to see when I next go back home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are truly an historian, Linda! And your photography skills have grown by leaps and bounds :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's interesting how little has changed in some of these villages. Thank you for posting about an area of the country that I don't know very well. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Linda, Great photos of Chastleton.. I was blown away by the GREEN in those two photos as you drove through the limestone rocks. WOW!!!!

    So Castleton Hall was used as a Youth Hostel until 2012? interesting.. What is it used for now????

    Great post. I loved the history.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Castleton Hall's interior is being renovated so I doubt that it's being used at the moment. The Youth Hostel has moved to a larger house at Losehill.

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous photos Linda and thanks for the history you've given us on this lovely town.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  11. grazie linda per essermi venuta a trovare così ho ricambiato la visita con molto piacere per gli occhi....entrando nel tuo blog si inizia a viaggiare e sai cogliere molti aspetti di quello che visiti...brava..anche a me piace molto la fotografia ma non ho molte occasioni per sfogarmi se non nei miei lavori,.
    dalmazia..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Goodness me, some stunning pics of the mountains there, I particularly loved the second and fourth pics, and that little ginger cat sat on the window ledge is wonderful.

    What an interesting and informative post.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. You do go to some very beautiful places. Winnats Pass is awesome! Definitely on my 'must see' list now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty Linda. I love your trips. I wonder if I went exploring around here if I could find some pretty places like you do. I will have to try and find some lovely place to share with you.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  15. The history comes alive with your wonderful photos. The stone buildings are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Once more, thank you everyone for your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stunning! The greens just pop off the screen.
    What a lovely adventure. Loved seeing the buildings too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a beautiful, timeless area but I don't think I've ever really picked up the fact that there are almost no trees in the area. So desolate up in the peaks.

    ReplyDelete