25 Oct 2013

A local walk

                                                      The Common  (Autumn 2012)

We had a rare sunny day on Wednesday so it was a good opportunity to take a walk through the village and up to the Common.




         the village stocks







Workmen take advantage of the good weather and I stop for a chat with this tiler about the area, renovation work and how the old village has changed over the years. Now there are old and new houses and fewer of the stone built cottages left in the heart of the village.

I walk up a lane to the Common passing an old farmhouse and have another conversation with a council worker and his mate who are doing some maintenance work on a bridle path.






                                                                    rowan and gorse


                                                            silver birch and honeysuckle


                                                   silver birch and sycamore, ferns and heather



There were quarry workings for ganister until the early 20th century and there are left-over spoils all over the Common. Ganister is a hard, fine-grained sandstone used in the making of bricks that lined furnaces.

                                                

From the ridge there's a good view down to the village.







The pub at the top of the village hosts a family firework party on the 5th November.


The almshouses.  The community centre and Scouts' building (not included) are all in the parish church grounds.



Home!


Since Wednesday there has been more progress on the garden project thanks to hard work of my husband. Despite the damp weather he's utilised the unused paving slabs by double stacking them to make a neat paved area for the greenhouse and his pot plants. The area under the fig tree has a flower bed and I shall get some winter bedding plants to give some colour there. All the soil has been transferred to the vegetable plot. Hopefully my husband can now enjoy a rest and start planning what he'll grow there.

23 comments:

  1. Bring back the blue sky for the weekend! Great walk - I love to see our area on someone elses blog xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane. I love the area and the county and enjoy seeing local places on your blog too!

      Delete
  2. I love all the stone walls and buildings in your photos. Everything looks so quaint and lovely. Every picture makes me want to take a walk. They look like they are out of an English movie. I can see why Jane Austin's female characters always loved to take walks. Ever so lovely Linda. Thanks for sharing.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming along on the walk, Cindy. I enjoy visiting you in your beautiful home and garden via blogging.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for talking me on your walk, I needed that! Those are some impressive stocks that you have in your village - hope they don't still use them... Hope you have a great week. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. Join me again soon for another look around my local area!

      Delete
  4. Love all your stone walls and buildings. They are so quaint and charming. I also love all the beautiful photos of places for taking walks. They all look like they came from an English movie. I can see why Jane Austin's female characters all loved to take walks. Ever so lovely Linda. Thanks for sharing.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, you have shared such an absolutely gorgeous tour! I love little villages and nature and I so enjoyed this post. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks lovely in your village. Great to see all those beautiful buildings and the hedgerows etc. My favourite photo is the one with the cat. What an incredible creature! ;) Your garden looks very neat and tidy. I wish that my Mr G would be a little neater in his gardening, he is a little bit wild! More enthusiasm than planning. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Real autumn colours around you now, and progress in the garden too! Mr G did well, it's been so wet here I've hardly been able to get on to the soil at all. Take care next week in the wild and windy weather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely walk you took around your home village - it looks very pretty and interesting too! Your garden is looking very tidy and organised. Enjoy next week with your family:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely selection of photos from your walk - we need to enjoy the blue skies and the autumn colours whilst they are still with us which is what you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed my walk. if i were there to walk to the commons, i would have to purchase a new hard drive to store all the photos i would take. love the cat and the stone, the horse and the stone, the double fences in the header, love it all in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do believe I would be out walking every day if I lived nearby. It is just beautiful!
    What a special place to walk.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's lovely around you in the autumn! Mr. P's garden area looks great. Does he really ever stop and relax, though?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Linda it looks like you live in the most amazing village...
    If you're anywhere near where the hurricane is going to hit, please be safe!
    Much love,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  14. quel charmant village , on a l'impression de changer de siècle
    c'est un vrai " carcan " là ou on installait les gens pour une punition ???
    c'est la première fois que j'en vois un
    et puis se chat qui traverse la route sans se presser , tranquille
    bon dimanche
    tendresse
    edith (iris) France

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful walk, you have such beautiful countryside. I really enjoyed looking at that blue sky and that cat is magnificent. I loved the horses and especially enjoyed seeing the almshouses, how sweet are they.

    Glad to hear the project is finished, it looks good!xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Linda, Looks like a beautiful day for a walk. I love the Fall colors and the blue blue sky. Thanks for sharing.

    Hope you had a good week. We have been in Kentucky with friends... Had a fantastic time although it was COLD there.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, that was a nice walk thank you. Pretty village, lovely scenery... now I'm ready for a cuppa, a piece of cake and a chat!
    Thank you for taking me along... it's a while since I visited South Yorkshire, it didn't look that pretty where I lived back in the 70s though!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Linda,

    Thank you for showing us some of your beautiful places on your walk - love the countryside, the Autumn colours and the old pub. Mr Gardener has made a great paved area for the garden. Hope that you are have a wonderful time with the family for the school holiday.
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a delightful place to live, I enjoyed the walk.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really enjoyed this walk through the gorgeous area where you live, Linda. The blue sky set off the autumn colours so well (you have a lot more autumn colour than we do) and the stone cottages and distant views remind me strongly of the Lancashire village where I grew up.

    ReplyDelete