22 Aug 2013

Gathering ideas for a garden project

A cafe courtyard garden, Castleton, Derbyshire
At the moment we're thinking of creating a new seating area underneath the fig tree which will be surrounded by plants in containers. Our small, completely enclosed back garden is L-shaped and sheltered by a cedar hedge on three sides with the double garage, the covered yard and the house on the fourth.  Most of the borders are given over to 'cottage garden' plants, but we would like to create a small corner with a more Mediterranean-style of planting.  The front garden, too, needs some thought.  It's rather mixed in style at the moment with another fig tree, jasmine, lavender and some vines growing on the original dry stone wall that was once part of the old estate of a local manor house. There's a raised bed which was put in by a previous owner, but which also might get a makeover in the Autumn. Everything is at the thinking stage and gathering ideas from gardening books and looking at other gardens, which is enjoyable in itself. Nothing drastic will be done as my DH, 'The Gardener', could do with a bit of a rest from any sort of heavy work in the garden.


This is the area that we would like to create a seating area, moving some of the planting, retaining some of the shrubs and, of course, the fig tree.  The paved area which has been used to grow vegetables in containers will continue to be used in this way. DH was given a second box tree as a birthday gift.  The hare and the ornamental grass was a belated birthday gift given to our daughter by her brother and sister-in-law when she came to stay last week.

In the meantime we enjoyed spending time in a cafe during a recent visit to Castleton, Derbyshire where there was courtyard garden that had plenty of features to admire and inspire.
It was a wet day when we drove over to Castleton so after parking we went into the first cafe we saw on the high street.  It was a surprise to find the garden behind the cafe as all the buildings on the street have very narrow front gardens or none at all. On another, sunnier occasion it would be a pleasant place to sit out there. However, on that rainy day we sat inside in a corner of the cafe overlooking the garden and enjoyed our cappuccino and lemon drizzle cake.











19 comments:

  1. It's lovely when you have a new garden project on the go isn't it? I love getting new ideas from magazines but I also like the Alan Titchmarsh programme on the tv called Love your garden. John cringes when I have that on as he knows I'm going to want another change. Your new seating area sounds lovely although your garden always looks pretty. I like the sound of that lemon drizzle cake. John's favourite. Perhaps I'll have to make him one!!
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like them all, the outside area of the cafe is just beautiful an di love the pots on the steps, i love the gardening in pots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and that beautiful hare

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden and backyard are fabulous... Love all of that privacy... Putting in a new seating area out there will be so nice. Hope you can do that!!! Keep us posted.

    Neat cafe... I can understand why you'd choose to be outside --weather permitting.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that courtyard garden. What a shame it was raining!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The courtyard garden is full of inspirational ideas, the flowers are still looking so fresh and bright - love a slice of that lemon drizzle, it looks very moorish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well....this is the ideal post for me at the moment, as I too am on the hunt for inspiration and new ideas.
    First, can I say that when you talk about your fig tree, jasmine, lavender and vines growing on an original dry stone wall...I was melting....now if only I could have that. I have a mud bath, huge trees and overgrown shrubs!!!! lol You do have such a beautiful garden, And I must say I love that hare. I'm a little [LOT] jealous. XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your garden is beautiful as it is, but it's always fun to have a little makeover project on the go. I like to visit gardens and take inspiration, and the courtyard garden is perfect for that. What a wonderful gift your son gave to his sister, the hare is fabulous, that would go very well in my own garden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lemon drizzle cake. Those words are especially appealing! And that little corner table with the umbrella surrounded by all that great architecture and plantings...very inspirational! A lovely stop here today :) thanks, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those flowers draping over the box onto the wall---quite lovely. I smiled at the rabbit---I've been looking at similar garden ornaments
    and thinking I will want a bit of whimsy in my garden at the farm house.
    That photo of the flowers on 'steps' of the wall in the cafe's courtyard is wonderful--such a gorgeous set up!
    And the lemon drizzle cake sounds quite enticing. :>)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The courtyard garden looks lovely even in the rain no wonder you wwere inspired by it. I always enjoy looking at books and magazines to get ideas. I love the hare:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lemon drizzle cake - yum, that's my favorite dessert in this country!

    The garden photos are so inspirational - such loveliness. Have a lovely weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything is gorgeous including the cake. What beautiful gardens. I do believe gardens are a continuing transition and never quite what we can say "complete".

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely variety of photos Linda, a great way to start my day off on the road :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely variety of photos Linda, a great way to start my day off on the road :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Linda,

    I love all the pretty gardens you have shared and don't flowers make a lovely show.
    Always good to get inspiration from other gardens - good luck with your new project and I look forward to seeing it.
    The lemon drizzle cake and cappucino would be wonderful.
    Happy weekend
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love small hidden spaces, so a courtyard garden sounds like a wonderful idea. I look forward to seeing how your project develops.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the pots on the steps :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am craving for this dizzly lemon cake right now!!!! :-)))

    ReplyDelete