27 Aug 2013

Bradfield Dale: around Agden Reservoir


There are many walks and trails around Bradfield Dale and yesterday we decided to follow the route around Agden Reservoir starting in the top lane of High Bradfield village. 


purple heather, rose bay willow herb and a few thistles add a touch of colour


The winding lane passes rocky escarpments, plantations and pasture to the north east and farmland to the south before descending down towards Agden Reservoir and Low Bradfield. It's possible to walk through Roacher Plantation and on to the moorland beyond Roacher Rocks.




pine cones and flowering cranes bill



Agden Reservoir was completed in 1869 and takes its name from 'agden' which means 'valley of the oak trees'.  It holds 560 million gallons of water.






After passing through the wooded lanes of Lower Bradfield we stopped at the Strines Inn which overlooks the Strines Reservoir and is sheltered by trees and hilly moorland. Originally a manor house it was built in 1275 for the Worrall family (another branch lived in the village of Ughill on the other side of the valley).  Most of the present day structure is 16th century and it was leased out as an inn during the 18th century when the track that passed beside it became more important and a charge (toll) was paid to use it.  It got its name from an Old English word meaning the meeting of water. 





These days the inn has become well known for the large number of peacocks that wander around the grounds.  


15 comments:

  1. Lovely! I have heard of walking trails in England and have dreamt of walking some. Is it heather in the third picture? Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Marilyn, the heather is in full flower now and looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely walk. You caught some sunshine - it's been really dull and grey here in Worcester. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. The reservoir looks so peaceful. Love the geese and peacocks too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The weather looks beautiful - how lovely to get out and enjoy it. Wonderful photos of the beautiful English countryside.
    At last the days are slowly getting longer and here 1st September is officially Spring.
    Linda I've tried unsuccessfully to teach myself crochet.
    I have the most wonderful craft book passed down to me by my mother. I tried night after night to follow the step by step illustrated instructions to no avail - I feel I may need a private tutor!!!
    Shane x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful visual tour. What struck me most was the Strines Inn overlooking the reservoir. The architecture looks so much like the architecture of early Williamsburg here in the US...surely a mark of where our first European settlers came from :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love those steps to no where... and the rock walls of course and the first one belongs in a fairytale book.. and that hedge of purple flowers, oh my......

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely walk - the colours are wonderful enhanced by the heather. Yesterday was a perfect Bank Holiday - it feels as if we are heading for an Indian Summer - fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was a lovely walk Linda. The buildings of the inn look like a terrace of cottages on first glance until I looked closer. Just the sort of cottage I'd love to live in one day. One can dream can't one!
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI Linda, Looks like you all had a great time. What beautiful scenery.. I love the peacocks and that heather is gorgeous...The Agden Reservoir is beautiful --and what a fabulous place to walk. Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely place, it looks so peaceful. We struck lucky with the weather for the bank holiday, it started off a little dull here but it soon brightened up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a lovely post Linda, outstanding photos. I'm always interested also in the history of things and the word agden meaning valley of the oak trees, I'm wondering if that's old English. The town I came from Wednesbury (everyone pronounced it 'Wensbury') used to be called Wodensborough back in the day. I remember my dad telling me that when I was a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm interested in place names and their derivation, too, Denise. I believe 'agden' or 'ogden' is Old English. It's fascinating to hear about the different names for a place such as your own home town and good to talk to those who have 'roots' there to gain more information about its history.

      Delete
  13. Goodness, that is a lot of water!

    I love this walk, especially the heather, the stone steps and that old pump.

    How wonderful to be able to see the peacocks wandering around, and such beautiful pics. When I listen to the peacocks in the rescue, they always remind me of cats crying, such a strange noise for a bird.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are super photos of a gorgeous area,Linda, and I've just looked at them again in Blogger's Lightbox, which really shows them off well. I particularly like the one of the stone stile, which reminds me so much of my native Lancashire countryside. A lovely post.

    ReplyDelete